Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 01:28 AM

33 posts, read 53,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bslette View Post
Well, we don't have as much as the south, but we dont hav the least. We have the average stuff (ants, spiders, bees, wasps, flies, gnats, centipedes, cockroaches, etc.) but we have a huge amount of mosquitoes,some that carry West Nile Virus, lots of ticks, many which carry Lyme Disease, we have poisonous insects, like the brown recluse spider, which is deadly if not treated, we have pretty violent black flies, leeches, japanese beetles, carpenter ants that can infest the walls of your home (yuck), spider mites and stuff, and toads. I remember that there used to always be swarms of thousands of toads that would always be everywhere during the summer growing up. Toads were always infesting our yard, rocks, garage, etc. and lawn mowing could be a mess. We have snakes too.
I live in the south/southeast(NC)&since I have lived in my home here,I have seen very few(4-5,in 3&a half years)bugs indoors&no mice. And that is without pest control of any kind,except for keeping a clean,well maintained home. We do get mosquitos/gnats here,in late summer,but not as many as MN(lived there,for 3&a half years),no biting horseflies. Also,while living in MN,we had a ginormous ladybug invasion! What a sight! No exagerration...we could'nt even eat a meal without eating ladybugs,too! >_< LOL I don't mind ladybugs,in normal amounts,but many MN homes,were invaded,inside&out,that year. Not just 50-60 or so,many more. Imagine waking up&finding them in your bed. I guess it depends on which pests/bugs you want to avoid the most. Every state has bugs,as you know,but some have more of some kinds,than others. I am happy with no roaches&mice&love my little porch lizards,for eating up the small amount of ants&other bugs there are. So,I stay here,in central NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 01:57 PM

43 posts, read 54,451 times
I'm not into bugs and growing up in England, they were a none-issue. An ant here or there... a pill bug occasionally... the odd daddy long long legs. From that perspective, here's my 2 cents on the places I've lived in the USA. I'm very much an outdoors person and our homes have always been in the suburbs on around 2-5 acres and so more susceptible to seeing and dealing with bugs and outdoor critters.

SoCal: (Thousand Oaks + Woodland Hills + Malibu)
---------------------------------------------------------
No part of me can understand why anyone would rate SoCal low on the bug scale! :-) Ants, ants, ants, ants. No summer were we free from them. Ticks.... omg, try going hiking in the Santa Monica mountains and Santa Barbara with your dog and you can spend an hour pulling ticks from yourself and your pup. Ugh, really off-putting. Spiders and ants were just something I had to deal with every summer. Black widows? Every place we lived. Roaches are definitely not unusual, especially in apartment complexes (no matter HOW nice and upscale they are). Definitely have to watch out for rattlers when on hikes. My dad's border collie was bitten in the Malibu hills and only just made it after 2 nights intensive care. Over a 5 yr. period I saw around 10. I always seemed to get bitten by mosquitoes in the summer.

Fleas? Definitely an issue. All dogs have to use flea and tick preventatives, as well as heartworm medication due to mosquitoe. Friends were constantly battling fleas on their dogs. Enough said.

Colorado: (South Denver in Castle Rock/Parker)
-------------------------------------------------------
Bugs? What bugs?! Totally awesome. Not only did we not have to worry about bugs (occasional spiders), but never had to apply flea OR tick medication to our dog. Heartworm pills only in the summer (never had one mosquito bite personally). I never thought twice about napping in the grass in our back garden because there were just no such things as scary bugs in either Castle Rock or Parker. Never saw a flea.

PacNW, Washington State: (Vancouver)
----------------------------------------------
Very similar to Colorado. I could relax in my grass playing with our pups and never think twice. No flea or tick medication, no heartworm (although across the river in Portland, OR I hear it's a different matter). Seriously, the occasional spider was the only thing to ever worry about.

Texas: (Houston)
--------------------
Terrible. Awful. Bugs that look like they landed from another planet and could take you away. There was no way I would ever, ever go even barefoot on our grass. The bug zapper in the garden zapped so many bugs that the tray would be filled every night with the scariest array of creatures I'd ever seen in my life. Fire ants were a HUGE issue. Our neighbors dog had its leg chewed very badly from stepping on an ant hill (permanent damage - it was chewed to the bone). Cockroaches? OMG I almost ran from the state screaming. They are absolutely MASSIVE! Never, ever will anyone make me go back there again :-)

I remember seeing a bird fly into a window and fall to the ground. Within 15 mins it was absolutely covered in bugs. I'm shivering thinking about how fast it happened and where they all came from.

North Carolina: (Cary)
--------------------------
Not as bad as Houston, but definitely not for anyone who does not like bugs (like me). Cockroaches - definitely, and that's enough to make me want to run. On a walk yesterday, a huge one scuttled across the road. And no-one told me they could FLY! Ugh, ugh ugh. Spiders, creepy-crawlies, unmentionables... all here. Along with venomous copperheads (the local vet said they gets dogs in every week with bites). Ticks? Jeez... the absolute worst I've ever seen. You couldn't pay me to lie down on a bed of grass here! Every single time we go for a walk in the parks, we find ticks unless we spray ourselves (we use wondercide, a cedar/lemongrass spray that works great). But seriously, I don't want to have to do that! Lyme disease is a problem here based on feedback from the vet and an ER doc we met at a gym.

And pets? You MUST use flea, tick, and mosquito preventatives. Not fun at all.

Conclusion?
-------------
Southern part of Washington state or Denver, Colorado are awesome for dealing with few bugs. I personally much preferred Colorado as I love the four distinct seasons, long summers, and the amount of constant sunshine The sun is literally always shining. There seemed to be more sunshine in Colorado than SoCal. All through the winter, snow or no snow, it's bright sunshine. I think every Christmas day we enjoyed fun time in the snow with bright sunshine, no matter how cold it was in the 9 years we were there

Old 07-28-2015, 05:00 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnwilderland View Post
Our neighbors dog had its leg chewed very badly from stepping on an ant hill (permanent damage - it was chewed to the bone).
I loved your story, made me chuckle. However, this bit here is BS. No dog is gonna sit there and let ants chew its leg to the bone. Do you know how long that would take those tiny ants (even if they numbered in the thousands) to bite off little chunks? lol Sorry, the dog would be howling in pain, and moving around to the point where they couldnt get to it in numbers needed to do damage. Sounds more like it suffered from a brown recluse bit, or had some gangrenous wound. Definitely NOT fire ants. lolol

Old 03-05-2016, 09:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,921 times
I lived in So Cal most of my life... The pest control industry is HUGE there!!!! Why? Because there's more bugs and pests there than anywhere!!!! Those of you who say they don't have pests have never been/lived there!!! If you think I'm full of crap, look in the phone book under Pest control....
You people should really refrain from speaking of things you know nothing about!!!!

Old 03-05-2016, 12:39 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenmeesh View Post
I lived in So Cal most of my life... The pest control industry is HUGE there!!!! Why? Because there's more bugs and pests there than anywhere!!!! Those of you who say they don't have pests have never been/lived there!!! If you think I'm full of crap, look in the phone book under Pest control....
You people should really refrain from speaking of things you know nothing about!!!!
how can we be sure that you know what you're talking about?

while your anecdotal evidence seems compelling, without providing a list from Forbes or Travel & Leisure, we'll have to take your opinion with a grain of salt...

and what is this phone book that you speak of?

Old 03-06-2016, 11:10 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
I remember as a child my Uncle took me hiking in the Wisconsin woods. We got so attacked by mosquitoes that I started crying in terror and we cut the hike short. A few years ago I took a hike in the Cascades outside Portland OR and was in total awe that I didn't see any insects. It was so much more enjoyable.

Here in central WA there are ants, spiders, and flies. In the winter I see no bugs at all.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:35 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
Chalk it up for yet another reason why Seattle/Portland and the PNW are the best! It never gets tiring.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:36 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Not Oklahoma. We've got spiders and critters all over the place, inside and outside.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:38 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,503,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I loved your story, made me chuckle. However, this bit here is BS. No dog is gonna sit there and let ants chew its leg to the bone. Do you know how long that would take those tiny ants (even if they numbered in the thousands) to bite off little chunks? lol Sorry, the dog would be howling in pain, and moving around to the point where they couldnt get to it in numbers needed to do damage. Sounds more like it suffered from a brown recluse bit, or had some gangrenous wound. Definitely NOT fire ants. lolol
Yes. It sounds like a Fiddleback bite (what we call 'em here in Oklahoma).

I'm pretty sure they're of the devil.

Old 03-06-2016, 02:07 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Probably some place very arid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.