Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaHerdOn View Post
and to New York state... your point?
well that post wasn't directed to you, so why worry about what my point was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
This info isn't very accurate. I'm not Catholic but Louisiana has twice the number of Catholics it has of Baptists. We would never have had those liberal drinking and alcohol sales laws if the Baptists had ruled!
I hesitate to quote Wikipedia, since it also is sometimes inaccurate, but if you accept their information, the total number of all denominations of Baptists in LA is 38%, while Roman Catholic is 30%. If this is indeed true, then all of the maps I posted are accurate.
Louisiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

GHO: I would push the southern line in WV to at least the Telsur map limits of Southern speech. Seems only fair. And I think you ought to apologize to Nairobi for speaking out of turn, boy.

Nairobi, it's a shame that the oldest Confederate memorial in the US is not in the South. But I guess that's one of life's little ironies.
First Confederate Memorial - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as Kentucky goes, the land of bourbon and mint juleps, the Derby and fried chicken seems to make an odd Northern state.

I think the South lies in historical perspective. Virginia (which includes Kentucky and West Virginia) and the Carolinas were the origins of the South. I think these states are the South still, and those lower states bordering on the Gulf are something else, perhaps the Nether-South, a sort of perversion of the original ideal.

Last edited by Bobilee; 10-15-2008 at 12:16 AM..

Old 10-15-2008, 06:31 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
most likely those individuals do not know enough about the state to make an educated decision, honestly. because as i stated before, there are so many areas of texas that NO ONE can say isn't southern with a straight face. Marshall, Texas comes to mind. that town and its history is as southern as the south gets.
Again, that is your opinion. There are some who will disagree with you. Kentucky is Southern and so is Virginia. You disagree with me and that is perfectly alright

Old 10-15-2008, 07:23 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,449,392 times
I'd split about 1/2 to 3/4 of Texas and include west Texas as the "west." Also, NM is not the "south" at all...Parts of OK could fit into the "west." I think the other parts of the map are mostly spot-on...except move most of southern MO into the midwest.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:30 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,797 times
[quote=jjbradleynyc;5698356]I'd split about 1/2 to 3/4 of Texas and include west Texas as the "west." Also, NM is not the "south" at all...Parts of OK could fit into the "west." I think the other parts of the map are mostly spot-on...except move most of southern MO into the midwest.[/QUOTE]

The problem with that being that culturally, all of southern MO except for the bootheel is practically identical to northern AR.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
I just want to know - Where's Alaska?

Old 10-15-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Again, that is your opinion. There are some who will disagree with you. Kentucky is Southern and so is Virginia. You disagree with me and that is perfectly alright
well...marshall, texas being the south isn't anymore of an opinion than saying jackson, mississippi is in the south. let's put it like that.

either way, i'm from texas, and there's no way somebody who isn't from here is going to be able to tell me about my own state. that may sound arrogant, but it makes sense, right? i don't know a thing about north dakota, and i would never pretend that i do.

but if someone has only lived in kentucky or virginia, and call themselves southern without even knowing what life is like in mississippi, georgia, or alabama (for example) i would laugh in their face. i'm not saying that's your case, missymom, but i don't know.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 AM

since we call ourselves the 3rd coast down here, if i wanted to i could say that the real south only includes those areas that touch the Gulf (texas, louisiana, mississippi, alabama, florida) or are atleast less than 100 miles from it (georgia)

Old 10-15-2008, 09:49 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
since we call ourselves the 3rd coast down here, if i wanted to i could say that the real south only includes those areas that touch the Gulf (texas, louisiana, mississippi, alabama, florida) or are atleast less than 100 miles from it (georgia)
I figured that's probably what you were getting at....that there were truly on 4-5 southern states (gulf states, Deep South). That is totally fine and your opinion. There are folks from about 7-8 other states (that have obvious southern culture) that would disagree with you.

You seem to be repping TX (are you from the Houston area?)....which is awesome; I'm a Texan too. There would be many folks from Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia, however, that would tell you that you're not a southerner. As a proud Okie/Texan I wouldn't agree with them, of course, but just so you know many folks from the Deep South would not include Texas in their "true" (whatever that means, LOL) southern family.

Maybe everyone not in a gulf state should be called "semi-South?" LOL, now I've opened up a can of worms.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I figured that's probably what you were getting at....that there were truly on 4-5 southern states (gulf states, Deep South). That is totally fine and your opinion. There are folks from about 7-8 other states (that have obvious southern culture) that would disagree with you.
you misunderstood my post. i wasn't implying that the real south was only the gulf states, but i was saying that if i wanted to, i could. i was just trying to make a point. i'd have to be a fool to say that south carolina and tennesse weren't southern.

Quote:
You seem to be repping TX (are you from the Houston area?)....which is awesome; I'm a Texan too. There would be many folks from Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia, however, that would tell you that you're not a southerner. As a proud Okie/Texan I wouldn't agree with them, of course, but just so you know many folks from the Deep South would not include Texas in their "true" (whatever that means, LOL) southern family.
i'd more than disagree with those folks. i'd drag them to where my cousins stay up in rusk county, show them all the stores, churches, people, and homes in the area, and then make them look me in my face and tell me that they're not in the south.

Quote:
Maybe everyone not in a gulf state should be called "semi-South?" LOL, now I've opened up a can of worms.
no they shouldn't. again, i wasn't trying to imply that only the gulf states are truly southern. it looks like i'm the one who opened that can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.