Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Billiam already addressed the point that none of Pennsylvania is southern, so I would just like to emphasize that. None, zero, nada, zip, etc. I don't know where that notion even came from!

Many people feel southern Ohio, Indiana and Illinois are southern, and I have been to all those areas and I agree that one hears a lot of southern accents there, but those are still northern states. Ohio has a border with Canada on the north, for Pete's sake (as does PA, BTW, in Lake Erie).

I don't know why all of Colorado isn't included in the west. That line cuts off a tiny eastern portion of the state, which makes no sense. If you are talking true "western", I wouldn't include any of N. Dakota as west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:00 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,197,532 times
I think the Midwest and Northeastern states should come together and just be call Northern states. Back in the day when many southerners said they was moving up north, they didn't say moving to the midwest or the northeast. The south is the only region that is together to make one huge region. Its not seperated into Southeast and Southwest like it is in Northern states like Midwest and Northeastern.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,245,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I didn't realize CUNY was that authoritative.
I'm also sure that the US Census Bureau couldn't have anything wrong...

http://74.6.239.67/search/cache?ei=U...icp=1&.intl=us

Lawrence County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My stats come from the US census bureau as well...but thanks for playing our game.
It looks like Wikipedia screwed up. According to the Census Bureau website Germans are 26.6%. Click on the county and the info comes up.
Pennsylvania by County - TM-PCT030. Percent of Persons of German Ancestry: 2000

Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
It looks like Wikipedia screwed up. According to the Census Bureau website Germans are 26.6%. Click on the county and the info comes up.
Pennsylvania by County - TM-PCT030. Percent of Persons of German Ancestry: 2000
So I guess the city-data link used wikipedia's figures?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:32 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,882 times
This info isn't very accurate. I'm not Catholic but Louisiana has twice the number of Catholics it has of Baptists. We would never have had those liberal drinking and alcohol sales laws if the Baptists had ruled!

Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Not everyone considers Texas Southern either(not that I agree). I guess it is all in perspective
most likely those individuals do not know enough about the state to make an educated decision, honestly. because as i stated before, there are so many areas of texas that NO ONE can say isn't southern with a straight face. Marshall, Texas comes to mind. that town and its history is as southern as the south gets.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:04 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Well, I appreciate your opinion Nairobi. I must say that your position is at odds with the Census' view of Oklahoma and Texas: www.census.gov/geo/www/us_regdiv.pdf The regional designations appear to be assigned, not only by geography, but also by culture.

Oklahoma is best characterized as a Southwestern (read "Western South" as TexasReb accurately delineates) state with a lot of southern flair. It certainly could be called part of the "West South Central" as wikipedia designates: Image:Census Regions and Divisions.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. (<-----in case the pdf link does not load) The states that are undeniably culturally southern are as follows (most southern to least)

Alabama (Deep South)
Mississippi (Deep South)
Georgia (Deep South)
South Carolina (Deep South)
Louisiana
Tennessee
North Carolina
Arkansas
Kentucky
Texas
Oklahoma
Virginia (part of it)
Florida (part of it)
West Virginia (part of it)
well i have to respectfully disagree.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:30 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
This is how I see the four American regions.
I would cut WV into two pieces... Right below I-64 between Charleston and Huntington would be where I would draw the line between southern and northern.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:37 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
well to be fair, Appalachia extends all the way into Mississippi, but i agree that wv isn't the south. neither is virginia nowadays.
and to New York state... your point?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:58 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,429,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
This is how I see the four American regions.
That seems fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.