Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,212,543 times

Advertisements

So as you see many threads in the "City vs. City" forum involves post which often includes a dispute whether Texas is in the South and whether Florida is culturally southern.

Texas is it's own region. It's not Midwest or Southern although Houston makes a great argument.

Florida is NOT culturally southern south of Jacksonville typically and this IS TRUE.

This does not mean southern culture does NOT exist in these two states but come on be honest, when someone says the south, you do not think of Florida and Texas typically a Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, or Bama comes to mind.

I don't know if any of you agree but give me your input.

Texas should be it's own region.
Florida should be it's own region.

They have enough major cities and large enough populations to handle being called it's own region IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 12:16 AM

463 posts, read 1,565,558 times
Technically any state can be considered a region unto itself because the culture of any two states are not identical. Pennsylvania is clearly part of the Northeast, but it seems to me to be very different from New York or New Jersey. I live in Bucks County, PA (which borders four NJ counties) and as soon as you cross the bridge everything is subtly (or not so subtly) different, with different road designs, urban planning, chain stores, etc.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:18 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,212,543 times
Not the point of the thread. It's based off of constant debate of the "Southern" region. Not holding each state to it's own. Heck each metro can be it's own region.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:41 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLABoyJ View Post
So as you see many threads in the "City vs. City" forum involves post which often includes a dispute whether Texas is in the South and whether Florida is culturally southern.

Texas is it's own region. It's not Midwest or Southern although Houston makes a great argument.

Florida is NOT culturally southern south of Jacksonville typically and this IS TRUE.

This does not mean southern culture does NOT exist in these two states but come on be honest, when someone says the south, you do not think of Florida and Texas typically a Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, or Bama comes to mind.

I don't know if any of you agree but give me your input.

Texas should be it's own region.
Florida should be it's own region.

They have enough major cities and large enough populations to handle being called it's own region IMO.
I especially agree that Florida is hardly a southern state [I have never seen anything resembling "southern" about Miami]. Texans would agree that it is a bit separate from the South but other Texans express strong Southern affiliation. Texas is way too big to be classified as a Southern state & it can be argued that Texas is actually a Western state [as least Southwest]. But the Texas Gulf Coast does not seem at all Southwestern.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:18 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,508,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I especially agree that Florida is hardly a southern state [I have never seen anything resembling "southern" about Miami]. Texans would agree that it is a bit separate from the South but other Texans express strong Southern affiliation. Texas is way too big to be classified as a Southern state & it can be argued that Texas is actually a Western state [as least Southwest]. But the Texas Gulf Coast does not seem at all Southwestern.
I would argue that Texas (and Oklahoma, for that matter) has too much Southern culture to be considered purely Western. If by Southwest you actually mean SOUTHwest and not SouthWEST (New Mexico and AZ) then I think you have a pretty good argument.

Western South or South-Central are the best designations for OK/TX (western-most boundary of the South) IMO.

Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
Many small towns of central Florida are southern in culture.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:27 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,303,143 times
I've lived in Texas, though it was a long time ago. Geographically it is south-central; Culturally it is southern, as far as I'm concerned. South Texas may have some influences from across the Gulf but the state's history is not unlike the other states east of it. Hell, Louisiana probably has the most unique history of all of the southern states, but it's still in the south.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:43 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
A little geography lesson for you. Miami is a very small part of the entire state of Florida and going to Miami Beach or downtown in no way is going to give you any indication of how the rest of the state is.

Florida is a very diverse state and from north to south and east to west coast you will see many different types of people and communities many of which are very southern oriented.

Old 04-10-2010, 09:55 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,488,704 times
Miami has southern culture and so does Texas. It cannot be denied in either place. I you don't live there and don't agree, then you get a pass. If you live there or are from there and can't see this, then you either don't know your own city or you don't want to see it.

Old 04-10-2010, 10:35 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,639,437 times
I don't know if I would agree with Miami being Southern culturally. It was built up by non-Southerners and is populated with non-Southerners. Most people associate Miami with salsa music and mojitos, not country and grits.

As for Texas and Florida being their own regions, Texas as a state is far bigger than the New England region, so geographically it makes sense, but I think it's a slippery slope giving a state its own region. Every state is unique, obviously some more noticeably so than others. But if Texas and Florida get their own regions, knocking at the door next will be California and New York.

Texas and Florida I don't consider the most unique states, even though I like them both. That title I would give to Louisiana, New Mexico, and Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.