Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 04:23 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
philly sucks
Just curious, what led you to subscribe to such an elaborately stated opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 05:13 PM

719 posts, read 2,666,566 times
Where's McAllen on that list? xP

Old 02-08-2008, 06:22 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,632 times
If Detroit is #1 on this list, that just goes to show how good we have it in America. Although it's talked bad about, it is liveable. Hard to yes....but possible, to have food, shelter, clothing.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:46 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
one man's misery is another man's joy.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:26 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
Philly sucks.you're welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA
Thank you!

you're welcome
LOL at these two clowns. Misery loves company I suppose.

I've never had a problem in Philadephia. I'm in town just about everyday and have never had any problem and have never seen anybody ever have a problem.Then again I dont frequent the hoods much.

Center City is one of the best downtowns in the usa.University City is very nice. Chestnut Hill is one of the best city neighborhoods in the usa. Nice middle class neighborhood of 300,000 in Northeast Philly. Northwest Philly (Chestnut Hill-Mt. Airy-East Falls-Manyaunk-Roxborough)has about 250,000 middle/upper class residents. South Philly is not bad and Overbrook Farms is outstanding. Yeah the hoodrats have destroyed North Philly,SW Philly and parts of extreme west Philly but you know what? NYC,Chicago have their fair share of hoodrats as well, inflicting major damage.

Plus Philly has the Wissahickon Gorge and Fairmount Park running right through the heart of the city. If you blindfolded someone and dropped them off in Fairmount Park they wouldnt know if they were in the middle of Colorado,Vermont or Philadelphia.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:32 PM

287 posts, read 350,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
That misery index is worse than stupid. It mentions the tax rate and commuting time in NYC? Well, the wages are higher and the place has great mass transit!

For Chicago, it mentions the Cubs and the winter? What if a person is a Sox fan who likes winter?

I find the list useless and worse than subjective.

Has the author been to East St. Louis or East Chicago? That's misery.
Considering they were looking at cities of over 371,000 and East St. Louis is a city of less than 40,000, probably not.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:07 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Just curious, what led you to subscribe to such an elaborately stated opinion?
as you can see, i'm more about the concise, yet emphatic, comments.

of course, i kid. i love the place. i live here in queen village.

i like this pic:

Old 02-09-2008, 11:23 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
LOL at these two clowns. Misery loves company I suppose.

I've never had a problem in Philadephia. I'm in town just about everyday and have never had any problem and have never seen anybody ever have a problem.Then again I dont frequent the hoods much.

Center City is one of the best downtowns in the usa.University City is very nice. Chestnut Hill is one of the best city neighborhoods in the usa. Nice middle class neighborhood of 300,000 in Northeast Philly. Northwest Philly (Chestnut Hill-Mt. Airy-East Falls-Manyaunk-Roxborough)has about 250,000 middle/upper class residents. South Philly is not bad and Overbrook Farms is outstanding. Yeah the hoodrats have destroyed North Philly,SW Philly and parts of extreme west Philly but you know what? NYC,Chicago have their fair share of hoodrats as well, inflicting major damage.

Plus Philly has the Wissahickon Gorge and Fairmount Park running right through the heart of the city. If you blindfolded someone and dropped them off in Fairmount Park they wouldnt know if they were in the middle of Colorado,Vermont or Philadelphia.
Lol at this insensitive clown^ Just because You live the high life and 'never experience' the downsides doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
You seem like the type that looks the other way or just steps over the homeless while you dip into center city on weekends to have your fun and then whisk safely away to your suburb while still remaining blind to the realities of other people's lives.
You can spout all the wonderful facts and post all the magazine-type pictures you'd like,the realities of everyday life still exist.
I got an idea,how about we blindfold you and drop you into the 'real' Philadelphia...oh that's right you always wear blindfolds!

Old 02-09-2008, 11:54 AM

4,536 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
MY LIST (in no order)

1. Detroit (dead Rust Belt)
2. Cleveland (dead Rust Belt)
3. Baltimore (dying Rust Belt)
4. Philadelphia (dying Rust Belt)
5. Pittsburgh (dead Rust Belt)
6. Minneapolis/St. Paul (subzero winters ain't my thing...)
7. El Paso (practically part of Mexico)
8. Miami (Third World banana republic)
9. Tie between every single city in New Jersey
10. Los Angeles (another Third World banana republic)
So let's see, Terrapin, judging from your list, and side comments, the only "acceptable" cities to you are lilly-white, sprawl towns in the South and West, right? I mean, you must be in heaven in Salt Lake City or Boise.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
I question methodology of the list since

Forbes - Charlotte top 50 city for jobs 1-10-08
Forbes - Charlotte #3 for undervalued real estate 11-07
Forbes - Charlotte #2 Best US housing Market 11-21-07
Forbes - Charlotte #33 Best city for Singles 2005
Forbes - Charlotte #36 Best city for Jobs 2007
Forbes - Charlotte #29 Best city for Business 2007
Forbes - Charlotte #37 of 150 for Business and Career

Visit to Charlotte, Photos

Pictures of Charlotte Area Homes

Photos around Charlotte

Newcomer Photo Guide to Lake Norman and surrounding area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.