Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:30 PM

7 posts, read 17,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
MY LIST (in no order)

1. Detroit (dead Rust Belt)
2. Cleveland (dead Rust Belt)
3. Baltimore (dying Rust Belt)
4. Philadelphia (dying Rust Belt)
5. Pittsburgh (dead Rust Belt)
6. Minneapolis/St. Paul (subzero winters ain't my thing...)
7. El Paso (practically part of Mexico)
8. Miami (Third World banana republic)
9. Tie between every single city in New Jersey
10. Los Angeles (another Third World banana republic)
I've been reading comments by you. They are very ignorant and uneducated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 12:41 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,558,979 times
It's another lazily-constructed list, thanks to the people who put so much stock in what magazine writers who likely haven't been to all those cities and are going on abstract piles of statistics to draw conclusions.

Not that I would want to move to Detroit or Flint, mind you...

Old 02-07-2008, 12:56 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
That was silly.

Lists like that are subjective. It's a waste of time to get all bent out of shape over it.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:09 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times
"If Detroit was a baseball team, they would be in a slump." Forbes cracks me up.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:08 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,924,857 times
That list really made no sense except for Detroit and Flint. I dont understand why those cities in California are on there, or New York City.

Old 02-07-2008, 04:55 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,348,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
MY LIST (in no order)

1. Detroit (dead Rust Belt)
2. Cleveland (dead Rust Belt)
3. Baltimore (dying Rust Belt)
4. Philadelphia (dying Rust Belt)
5. Pittsburgh (dead Rust Belt)
6. Minneapolis/St. Paul (subzero winters ain't my thing...)
7. El Paso (practically part of Mexico)
8. Miami (Third World banana republic)
9. Tie between every single city in New Jersey
10. Los Angeles (another Third World banana republic)
You're list is even worse than Forbes'.
  1. Detroit I will give to you as being pretty bad.
  2. Cleveland is okay in some parts
  3. Baltimore is a pretty nice city in some areas and I'm sure the suburbs are nice.
  4. Philadelphia is a large city with a pretty good economy, not great, but not like Detroit
  5. Pittsburgh is coming back and is consistantly rated as one of the most livable cities in America
  6. Minneapolis is a beautiful city, IMO, that has a good economy. The winters are horrible, but they're not poor there.
  7. El Paso I agree
  8. Miami is a beautiful city and everyone loves their beaches. I love their winters, and I don't think the summers would bother me too much. The downtown is pretty nice, though mostly vacant, but South Beach is amazing.
  9. This is very ignorant. Jersey is fantastic in some areas. Just not near NYC or Newark. The countryside is great though. The beaches aren't too bad either.
  10. Now this is just nonsense. LA has a huge economy, wonderful scenery, awesome weather, and without the poor people coming here, our construction boom could not be taking place. Some areas are pretty bad, but West LA, South Bay, the SaMo Mnts, SGV, southern and western SFV, Santa Clarita, Century City, and downtown are amazing areas and very nice. The only bad parts are South LA, central and northern SFV, and Lancaster/Palmdale.
Your list is very ignorant, especially with NJ, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, and LA.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:23 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
You're list is even worse than Forbes'.
  1. Detroit I will give to you as being pretty bad.
  2. Cleveland is okay in some parts
  3. Baltimore is a pretty nice city in some areas and I'm sure the suburbs are nice.
  4. Philadelphia is a large city with a pretty good economy, not great, but not like Detroit
  5. Pittsburgh is coming back and is consistantly rated as one of the most livable cities in America
  6. Minneapolis is a beautiful city, IMO, that has a good economy. The winters are horrible, but they're not poor there.
  7. El Paso I agree
  8. Miami is a beautiful city and everyone loves their beaches. I love their winters, and I don't think the summers would bother me too much. The downtown is pretty nice, though mostly vacant, but South Beach is amazing.
  9. This is very ignorant. Jersey is fantastic in some areas. Just not near NYC or Newark. The countryside is great though. The beaches aren't too bad either.
  10. Now this is just nonsense. LA has a huge economy, wonderful scenery, awesome weather, and without the poor people coming here, our construction boom could not be taking place. Some areas are pretty bad, but West LA, South Bay, the SaMo Mnts, SGV, southern and western SFV, Santa Clarita, Century City, and downtown are amazing areas and very nice. The only bad parts are South LA, central and northern SFV, and Lancaster/Palmdale.
Your list is very ignorant, especially with NJ, Pittsburgh, Minneapolis, and LA.
Ignorant? Dude. It's an opinion.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Ignorant? Dude. It's an opinion.
It shows that he doesn't know much about NJ at all, and maybe just a little of the other places.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:15 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,474,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
[*]This is very ignorant. Jersey is fantastic in some areas. Just not near NYC or Newark. The countryside is great though. The beaches aren't too bad either.
I grew up for the most part in somewhat of a miserable town in central NJ so there's some basis to that.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I grew up for the most part in somewhat of a miserable town in central NJ so there's some basis to that.
Well every state has some bad cities, but you can't generalize every city in a whole city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.