Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:15 PM

7 posts, read 28,896 times

Advertisements

What I have notice for the past few years it seems most Afrian American in Louisana are poor, while those in Maryland seems tob e very well educated and affluent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 03:24 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,253,754 times
Well I wouldn't go that far. There are plenty of poor black people in Maryland. However, Maryland is home to the wealthiest majority black county in the country, Prince George's.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:12 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,055,455 times
A lot of the Black folks in the MD suburbs of DC are transplants and as such, tend to be more educated and higher income-earners. However, many of the DC natives who have moved to PG County and the native Baltimoreans remind me somewhat of native New Orleanians.

Overall, the vast majority of Black folks I personally know in MD are transplants. Just about all of the Louisianians I know are natives.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,360,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey506 View Post
What I have notice for the past few years it seems most Afrian American in Louisana are poor, while those in Maryland seems tob e very well educated and affluent.
So what you're getting at is that there is a majority percentage of blacks in MD that are over the poverty line and in LA a majority percentage of blacks are below the poverty line?

Old 05-03-2012, 11:06 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,174,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A lot of the Black folks in the MD suburbs of DC are transplants and as such, tend to be more educated and higher income-earners. However, many of the DC natives who have moved to PG County and the native Baltimoreans remind me somewhat of native New Orleanians.

Overall, the vast majority of Black folks I personally know in MD are transplants. Just about all of the Louisianians I know are natives.

Huh? The vast majority of blacks in Maryland are from DC and Maryland.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,174,015 times
Quote:
I went to school in Louisiana and lived there for 6 years. The difference is opportunity. Blacks in Maryland have an abundance of opportunity at their disposal where in LA, the opportunity is few and far in between. Plus blacks in Maryland have the federal government as a labor source which reflects the overwhelming disparity in income levels between the two groups in each state. The feds also bring on additional opportunity with IT, defense, non profits, think tanks, law firms, etc... LA cannot match MD's employment. Traditionally, LA has been one of the poorest states in the US. As a result it trickles down to minorities. MD is the polar opposite, boasting as the richest state. Plus the liberal versus conservative angle plays a huge part. Most right to work states (non union) are poor. Most blacks have been pro union since the 40's because of the job security, increased wages and representation it brings.

So no blacks in MD live quite different than black in LA.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:25 PM

37,902 posts, read 42,055,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Huh? The vast majority of blacks in Maryland are from DC and Maryland.
Maryland has a good bit of transplanted Blacks in the DC suburbs in particular.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:38 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,234,922 times
Quote:
The same with whites....

Old 05-03-2012, 03:58 PM

518 posts, read 449,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
I went to school in Louisiana and lived there for 6 years. The difference is opportunity. Blacks in Maryland have an abundance of opportunity at their disposal where in LA, the opportunity is few and far in between. Plus blacks in Maryland have the federal government as a labor source which reflects the overwhelming disparity in income levels between the two groups in each state. The feds also bring on additional opportunity with IT, defense, non profits, think tanks, law firms, etc... LA cannot match MD's employment. Traditionally, LA has been one of the poorest states in the US. As a result it trickles down to minorities. MD is the polar opposite, boasting as the richest state. Plus the liberal versus conservative angle plays a huge part. Most right to work states (non union) are poor. Most blacks have been pro union since the 40's because of the job security, increased wages and representation it brings.

So no blacks in MD live quite different than black in LA.

No offense, but this philosophy of thinking is very annoying and simply not true. Maryland has more money because of being heavily influenced by the nation's capital and enjoying the fruits of the country's industrial revolution that bypassed most of the South. It doesn't have anything to do with union vs. non-union. That is the biggest hollow pipe dream line of thinking that liberals fall for. Unions didn't build this country nor are they the catalyst for vibrant economies. They benefit from vibrant economies, they didn't create them. No offense to you, but I'm getting a little tired of the arrogant attitude of pro union people that think they are responsible for creating jobs and wealth while they look down their noses at non-union people and states that prefers to believe in hard work and realizes that the corporations that pro union people find so evil and repulsive are the ones that actually provide jobs that improve quality of life. If anything, unions are dinosaurs of a bygone era that and now do more harm than good. That's one reason the Midwest (and the Detroit big 3) have been decimated in the last several years by foreign automakers. Pro-union states simply don't get it and that's a major reason why Ford, GM, etc have struggled because the pro union factories can't adapt, compete, and be competitive.

Sorry to be snappy but it's a sore subject here in the South. The big unions are trying their best to unionize all the foreign auto plants in the South and trying to ruin what we have here so we can be just as miserable as the auto industry in the Midwest. They are bound and determined to do it year after year despite constantly being voted down yet they just keep coming.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 PM

3,079 posts, read 8,033,848 times
No doubt, if Louisiana sat next to DC as does Maryland, it would be a different place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.