Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Arts and Museums

Houston has the second largest theater district in the country. Not DC.

I've lived in both and you can find pretty much anything in Houston, Miami or Atlanta that you can up here - beautiful women, awesome nightlife, cultural offerings of all types, sports, etc. You just can do it for less (with the exception of Miami). Don't get me wrong, I love DC, it's pretty awesome but I don't really feel as if much sets it apart other than being the nation's capital. It's not quite NY, SF, Chicago or LA. It's more on the level of ATL, Houston, Miami, or perhaps slightly above those places in my opinion.

And what exactly is faster moving to you about DC than Atlanta or Miami? Those are two always-on, nightlife-centric cities that EASILY have an equal nightlife scene in comparison to DC.
Movement is not based on nightlife. Movement is based on street pedestrian traffic and rapid transit ridership. It's also based on the work culture. There is a reason people say NYC and DC are career oriented cities. People are on a mission. It's the definition of a rate race.

As for theater, Houston is not ranked as one of the best cities by anything I have seen for theater cities. It also doesn't come close to DC on attendance with DC posting a whopping 2.26 million people annually in attendance which is only second to NYC. D.C. also has way more productions and shows. In your opinion, you may like Houston's theater scene the most but I have never seen anything posted saying Houston is one of the best theater scenes.

Here is another ranking for live theater performance cities placing DC second.

http://www.stlworldclasscity.com/?page=live_theater
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:35 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Ummm....having a theater scene and having one of the best theater scenes are two different things. Never said there wasn't a theater scene in the south. I just said its not on DC's level. No city is on DC's level when it comes to Museums either which is what I was saying. I will give you an example. DC is not on NYC's level for entertainment as a whole. Well, no city in the south is on DC's level for entertainment and cultural offerings as a whole. That's basically what I was saying. You do realize there is a hierarchy when it comes to these things right? Some people sit on top of the heap, other's do not. We have way more venues and way more performances. We also have way more people who attend. This is not about listing what DC has and what southern cities have for competition. DC is a world class city and is head and shoulders over every city except two or three in the whole nation. The fact that you are trying to compete with DC is ridicoulous. We can go as far as pro sports which DC has five including the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and MLS. We can go on and on about entertainment but very few cities have the combination of cultural and entertainment attractions as DC.
There you go changing the goalposts again. You never said anything about "levels" before, you only said that DC has cultural amenities and offerings that aren't found anywhere in the South (and there are notable theater/arts scenes down here). Well, since you now want to switch it up and talk about "levels," DC can't touch Austin, New Orleans, Nashville, or even Memphis when it comes to music and live music venues.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There you go changing the goalposts again. You never said anything about "levels" before, you only said that DC has cultural amenities and offerings that aren't found anywhere in the South (and there are notable theater/arts scenes down here). Well, since you now want to switch it up and talk about "levels," DC can't touch Austin, New Orleans, Nashville, or even Memphis when it comes to music and live music venues.
That's a matter of preference. We actually have more live music and working musicians than any of those places. Ever heard of GoGo? How many of those places can charge $30-$40 dollars a head and pack out tons of shows every week and basically every night of the week? There are so many GoGo bands in DC the city runs circles around everywhere when it comes to musicians playing live music. We keep our musicians employed. You already know how big GoGo is in DC. It's #1 even over Hip Hop and Pop! What other city can say they have a local live form of music that is more popular than mainstream music? We also have tons of live regular music venues which really pushes us over the top.

As for my statement, I'm sticking to it, you can't find the cultural offerings you find in DC in the south. Its just not as good or as prevalent. You are the one who took it so literal thinking I said you can't find a single play in the south or museum in the south. That's ridicoulous! You can find it, but there no comparison to DC which is all I meant. That was stated in black and white.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 AM

814 posts, read 1,475,274 times
Quote:
That's a matter of preference. We actually have more live music and working musicians than any of those places. Ever heard of GoGo? How many of those places can charge $30-$40 dollars a head and pack out tons of shows every week and basically every night of the week? There are so many GoGo bands in DC the city runs circles around everywhere when it comes to musicians playing live music. We keep our musicians employed. You already know how big GoGo is in DC. It's #1 even over Hip Hop and Pop! What other city can say they have a local live form of music that is more popular than mainstream music? We also have tons of live regular music venues which really pushes us over the top.

As for my statement, I'm sticking to it, you can't find the cultural offerings you find in DC in the south. Its just not as good or as prevalent. You are the one who took it so literal thinking I said you can't find a single play in the south or museum in the south. That's ridicoulous! You can find it, but there no comparison to DC which is all I meant. That was stated in black and white.
Where are your sources to back this up, I can post a bunch of things off the top of my head and tell everybody it is the truth without a doubt. GoGo. Is that some special type of music. Other cities got their own form of music too. Everybody in New Orleans loves Bounce Music, probably more than mainstream music. Then New Orleans is renounded for its live music and it seems that everbody and their momma can play an instrument. Everybody in New Orleans has thier own local artist of any type of music that they love. It is the music city. Can I ask you how many musicians perform per night/day in DC.

And there are many cultural offerings that are in the South, that you cannot find in DC.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 05-08-2012 at 01:15 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
That's a matter of preference.
No it's not; it's a statement of fact which is why Austin in particular is called the "live music capital of the world." It has 200 live music venues.

Quote:
We actually have more live music and working musicians than any of those places.
Let me get a source on this one because I seriously doubt it. Austin has about 1900 musicians that call the city home.

Quote:
Ever heard of GoGo? How many of those places can charge $30-$40 dollars a head and pack out tons of shows every week and basically every night of the week? There are so many GoGo bands in DC the city runs circles around everywhere when it comes to musicians playing live music. We keep our musicians employed. You already know how big GoGo is in DC. It's #1 even over Hip Hop and Pop! What other city can say they have a local live form of music that is more popular than mainstream music?
Ummm, New Orleans is the home of jazz, Memphis is the home of the blues and rock 'n roll, and Nashville is the home of country. These musical forms have been around for decades, have been exported around the world, and are much more popular than a confined local art form. Music runs through the veins of these cities and they are defined by it.

Quote:
As for my statement, I'm sticking to it, you can't find the cultural offerings you find in DC in the south. Its just not as good or as prevalent.
OK then, in the same way, you can find cultural offerings in the South that you can't find in DC. Some just aren't as good or as prevalent. What is DC's equivalent of SXSW or Essence Music Festival?

Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
DC has amenities, cultural offerings and nightlife that no city in the south can match. On any given day in DC you can......

Supreme Court (Sit in on a ruling)
U.S. Capitol (Visit with your Congressman or Senator)
National Archives (Trace your heritage/lineage)
Amtrak/Union Station (.5 to Bmore; 1.5 to Philly; 3.5 to NYC)
Air & Space (See a Soviet built ICBM)
Library of Congress (Read any publication in the world that has been printed)
Pentagon (Take a tour and see Ground Zero)
200 Government Agencies (Sit in on FDA ruling or SEC hearing)
Spy Museum
60 other museums
Natural History Museum (See dinosaur bones)
Holocaust Museum
Rock climb (Rock Creek Park)
MLK Memorial
C & O Canal (Ride a barge from the 1800's)
WW2, Korean, Vietnam Memorial
Ride the longest escalator in the Western Hemisphere
Visit Frederick Douglass' House
Visit stops on the underground railroad
Visit BET, CSPAN, NPR, ABC, CBS, NBC, Discovery Channel, National Geographic, BBC, Al Jazeera, Radio Free Asia, Voice of America and countless other world media conglomerations
Native American Museum
Newseum (Read every daily newspaper from around the U.S.
Bureau of Engraving (See US currency being printed and burned)
300 Embassies (Hosts of partys and festivals)
Presidential Inauguration
100's of political parties and receptions
National Mall (Sight of 100's of protests and marches)
National Mall (Movies at night, kickball, softball in between the Monument and US Capitol)
100's of Think Tanks (Hosting forums on a variety of issues)
100's of Non Profits and Associations (Hosting events)

Old 05-08-2012, 08:11 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Quote:
No it's not; it's a statement of fact which is why Austin in particular is called the "live music capital of the world." It has 200 live music venues.

Let me get a source on this one because I seriously doubt it. Austin has about 1900 musicians that call the city home.

Ummm, New Orleans is the home of jazz, Memphis is the home of the blues and rock 'n roll, and Nashville is the home of country. These musical forms have been around for decades, have been exported around the world, and are much more popular than a confined local art form. Music runs through the veins of these cities and they are defined by it.

OK then, in the same way, you can find cultural offerings in the South that you can't find in DC. Some just aren't as good or as prevalent. What is DC's equivalent of SXSW or Essence Music Festival?

DC's Caribbean Festival
DC's Black Family Reunion

Old 05-08-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC's Caribbean Festival
DC's Black Family Reunion
I'm talking about musically. Those aren't musical events.

DC doesn't have a presence on either of these musical lists, but a couple of Southern cities do:

http://usatravel.about.com/od/Events...-Festivals.htm
http://usatravel.about.com/od/Top-De...In-The-Usa.htm

And check out what region the top 3 cities on this list are located in. And check out which city the DC-based consultant on the first page says has the best music scene in the country.

The (cultural) South is the most musical region in the U.S. by far. It gave birth to practically every popularized form of popular music in the U.S.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 05-08-2012 at 09:18 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
DC has amenities, cultural offerings and nightlife that no city in the south can match. On any given day in DC you can......

Supreme Court (Sit in on a ruling)
U.S. Capitol (Visit with your Congressman or Senator)
National Archives (Trace your heritage/lineage)
Amtrak/Union Station (.5 to Bmore; 1.5 to Philly; 3.5 to NYC)
Air & Space (See a Soviet built ICBM)
Library of Congress (Read any publication in the world that has been printed)
Pentagon (Take a tour and see Ground Zero)
200 Government Agencies (Sit in on FDA ruling or SEC hearing)
Spy Museum
60 other museums
Natural History Museum (See dinosaur bones)
Holocaust Museum
Rock climb (Rock Creek Park)
MLK Memorial
C & O Canal (Ride a barge from the 1800's)
WW2, Korean, Vietnam Memorial
Ride the longest escalator in the Western Hemisphere
Visit Frederick Douglass' House
Visit stops on the underground railroad
Visit BET, CSPAN, NPR, ABC, CBS, NBC, Discovery Channel, National Geographic, BBC, Al Jazeera, Radio Free Asia, Voice of America and countless other world media conglomerations
Native American Museum
Newseum (Read every daily newspaper from around the U.S.
Bureau of Engraving (See US currency being printed and burned)
300 Embassies (Hosts of partys and festivals)
Presidential Inauguration
100's of political parties and receptions
National Mall (Sight of 100's of protests and marches)
National Mall (Movies at night, kickball, softball in between the Monument and US Capitol)
100's of Think Tanks (Hosting forums on a variety of issues)
100's of Non Profits and Associations (Hosting events)
A lot of these aren't "cultural amenities." You consider a long ass escalator ride a "cultural amenity"? LOL And most of these are things that DC has by virtue of taxpayer dollars, so while they are located in DC, they technically belong to everybody. And I don't think you can attend a presidential inauguration "on any given day."

And did you mention nightlife as something that DC has that no city in the South can match? You've got to be joking. For starters, New Orleans and Miami would like to have a word with you.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 05-08-2012 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
A lot of these aren't "cultural amenities." You consider a long ass escalator ride a "cultural amenity"? LOL And most of these are things that DC has by virtue of taxpayer dollars, so while they are located in DC, they technically belong to everybody. And I don't think you can attend a presidential inauguration "on any given day."

And did you mention nightlife as something that DC has that no city in the South can match? You've got to be joking. For starters, New Orleans and Miami would like to have a word with you.
You do realize that Florida does not identify with the traditional south right? Infact, places like Miami call Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Alabama, and Mississippi country and backwoods. They don't rep the south. They look down on dixie. I went to school in the south and most people I met didn't identify Florida as the south or "dirty south" if you will.

You may be the only person I have ever seen try to say there is a city outside of NYC in the US that is on the level of Washington DC when it comes to cultural attractions. Many cities can compete in entertainment but cultural attractions? Come on now! Who funds these cultural attractions is not important in this discussion. They are in Washington DC for the whole world to visit and enjoy and you can only experience them all here in DC. The same things goes for visiting Paris, London, NYC, or Tokyo. One of a kind worldwide attractions are in these cities. You are out of your league here man!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.