Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:15 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
A bunch of museums, most of them paid for with our tax dollars. Is this the best you can come up with? And it's not as if museums don't exist in the South; DC just has more of them because it's the nation's capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:51 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,736,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But what I gave you was a comparison of my current Tennessee town population 29,000 and my former Maryland town population 27,000. I'm saying you can live better on less in the Tennessee town.
Well I guess it depends on where that Maryland town is located. If its near DC, than the cost of living is obviously worth it because of the available lifestyle. If its not near DC, then obviously the Tennesssee town is better. I was only giving an example of why the cost of living is high in certain areas.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A bunch of museums, most of them paid for with our tax dollars. Is this the best you can come up with? And it's not as if museums don't exist in the South; DC just has more of them because it's the nation's capital.

Well I was just listing one thing. DC also has a larger theater scene than anywhere in the south. I was always talking about larger and better. It doesn't take much to build a museum or have theaters. But quality and quantity is a different animal and DC is head and shoulders over everyone in the south.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Well I was just listing one thing. DC also has a larger theater scene than anywhere in the south.
I mean if there's just soooooo many amenities and cultural offerings that DC has that aren't present anywhere in the South, it should be easy to come up with a pretty lengthy list, no?

And what's your source about DC's theater scene being larger than anywhere in the South?

Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 AM

Quote:
I mean if there's just soooooo many amenities and cultural offerings that DC has that aren't present anywhere in the South, it should be easy to come up with a pretty lengthy list, no?

And what's your source about DC's theater scene being larger than anywhere in the South?
There are numerous sources that rank DC as one of the best theater cities in the nation actually. I have never seen a southern city listed. DC also has the second highest theater attendance to NYC and the second highest amount of productions trailing only NYC. Are you really trying to challenge The Nations Capital Washington DC in cultural ammenties? Give me some of what you are smoking!

The Washington region now boasts 84 professional theaters and production organizations. Those groups staged 805 productions with 9,903 performances. The shows reached a total audience of 2.26 million throughout the year.

D.C. theaters showed growth in 2011 - Washington Business Journal
Washington, D.C: Booming Theater Town, - Features & Interviews reviewed by Victor Gluck on TheaterScene.net
20 Best Travel Destinations for Theater Buffs | Accredited Online Colleges.com

Last edited by MDAllstar; 05-07-2012 at 12:43 AM..

Old 05-07-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
There are numerous sources that rank DC as one of the best theater cities in the nation actually. I have never seen a southern city listed. DC also has the second highest theater attendance to NYC and the second highest amount of productions trailing only NYC. Are you really trying to challenge The Nations Capital Washington DC in cultural ammenties? Give me some of what you are smoking!

The Washington region now boasts 84 professional theaters and production organizations. Those groups staged 805 productions with 9,903 performances. The shows reached a total audience of 2.26 million throughout the year.

Washington, D.C: Booming Theater Town, - Features & Interviews reviewed by Victor Gluck on TheaterScene.net
All those sources simply cite that theater is big in DC. We all know that. There are notable theater/arts scenes in the South as well. Houston boasts a very notable theater district; Charleston is home to the internationally acclaimed Spoleto Festival. Those are just two examples off the top of my head. The South isn't lacking when it comes to theater, so you've failed to prove your point about DC having cultural amenities that can't be found anywhere in the South.

And again, seems like you should be able to come up with a rather long list of amenities, but you can only come up with one.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
All those sources simply cite that theater is big in DC. We all know that. There are notable theater/arts scenes in the South as well. Houston boasts a very notable theater district; Charleston is home to the internationally acclaimed Spoleto Festival. Those are just two examples off the top of my head. The South isn't lacking when it comes to theater, so you've failed to prove your point about DC having cultural amenities that can't be found anywhere in the South.

And again, seems like you should be able to come up with a rather long list of amenities, but you can only come up with one.
Ummm....having a theater scene and having one of the best theater scenes are two different things. Never said there wasn't a theater scene in the south. I just said its not on DC's level. No city is on DC's level when it comes to Museums either which is what I was saying. I will give you an example. DC is not on NYC's level for entertainment as a whole. Well, no city in the south is on DC's level for entertainment and cultural offerings as a whole. That's basically what I was saying. You do realize there is a hierarchy when it comes to these things right? Some people sit on top of the heap, other's do not. We have way more venues and way more performances. We also have way more people who attend. This is not about listing what DC has and what southern cities have for competition. DC is a world class city and is head and shoulders over every city except two or three in the whole nation. The fact that you are trying to compete with DC is ridicoulous. We can go as far as pro sports which DC has five including the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, and MLS. We can go on and on about entertainment but very few cities have the combination of cultural and entertainment attractions as DC.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:25 PM

518 posts, read 448,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would be careful of comparing high population states like NY and California to Alabama and Tennessee given the wide variation in those first 2 states. Again, Upstate NY is on par with Southern states in terms of COL and depending what areas you compare, the COL may be lower overall in Upstate NY. What's interesting is that just about even metro and college town still have quite a few cultural amenities, free festivals, things for children and more.
That's more or less true but the same can be said about Deep South states. Contrary to popular belief, the majority of areas even in states like Alabama and Mississippi are much more in line with the average quality of life in upstate NY for example. The big difference comes from the isolated pockets of extreme poverty in places like AL and MS that aren't there in upstate NY. Those pockets are so bad that they skew AL and MS well below your typical average quality of life across America. In other words, unless you live in one of these isolated pockets of extreme poverty, your quality of life in Alabama is generally no better or worse than most towns in upstate NY or much of the rest of the country. However, people only want to look at raw numbers without any context when looking at southern states and use that to cast judgement on them.

You see the same thing when someone links a study on obesity in America. Deep South states are singled out for numbers right around 30% yet this number is never put into any context. When you consider that the median % is nearly 27% obesity in the rest of the country then is 30% obesity really THAT much worse? Could you notice a discernable difference between 30 obese people in a crowd of 100 people vs only 27 obese people in a crowd of 100? Context IS important.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:08 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,974,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
No offense, but this philosophy of thinking is very annoying and simply not true. Maryland has more money because of being heavily influenced by the nation's capital and enjoying the fruits of the country's industrial revolution that bypassed most of the South. It doesn't have anything to do with union vs. non-union. That is the biggest hollow pipe dream line of thinking that liberals fall for. Unions didn't build this country nor are they the catalyst for vibrant economies. They benefit from vibrant economies, they didn't create them. No offense to you, but I'm getting a little tired of the arrogant attitude of pro union people that think they are responsible for creating jobs and wealth while they look down their noses at non-union people and states that prefers to believe in hard work and realizes that the corporations that pro union people find so evil and repulsive are the ones that actually provide jobs that improve quality of life. If anything, unions are dinosaurs of a bygone era that and now do more harm than good. That's one reason the Midwest (and the Detroit big 3) have been decimated in the last several years by foreign automakers. Pro-union states simply don't get it and that's a major reason why Ford, GM, etc have struggled because the pro union factories can't adapt, compete, and be competitive.

Sorry to be snappy but it's a sore subject here in the South. The big unions are trying their best to unionize all the foreign auto plants in the South and trying to ruin what we have here so we can be just as miserable as the auto industry in the Midwest. They are bound and determined to do it year after year despite constantly being voted down yet they just keep coming.
If the South had the pro-union and liberal political environment of the north, the foreign automakers who have set up shop there would have either stayed home or gone to Monterrey or other places in northern Mexico in desire to be close to our market.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM

725 posts, read 1,240,221 times
Quote:

Arts and Museums

Houston has the second largest theater district in the country. Not DC.

I've lived in both and you can find pretty much anything in Houston, Miami or Atlanta that you can up here - beautiful women, awesome nightlife, cultural offerings of all types, sports, etc. You just can do it for less (with the exception of Miami). Don't get me wrong, I love DC, it's pretty awesome but I don't really feel as if much sets it apart other than being the nation's capital. It's not quite NY, SF, Chicago or LA. It's more on the level of ATL, Houston, Miami, or perhaps slightly above those places in my opinion.

And what exactly is faster moving to you about DC than Atlanta or Miami? Those are two always-on, nightlife-centric cities that EASILY have an equal nightlife scene in comparison to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.