Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
We are doing summer travel.
Are you by any chance going to Iceland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
We are doing summer travel.
What month are you going on vacation, flying from where TO where? If you've got a great source for such inexpensive tickets, PLEASE SHARE IT because I am sure a lot of people would appreciate the travel tip!

Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
What month are you going on vacation, flying from where TO where? If you've got a great source for such inexpensive tickets, PLEASE SHARE IT because I am sure a lot of people would appreciate the travel tip!
It was too Barcelona. And it was pure luck - two open seats - strange departure times - plane changes.

We are picking up a cruise.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
It was too Barcelona. And it was pure luck - two open seats - strange departure times - plane changes.

We are picking up a cruise.
Well, have fun. You got a great, and unusual deal, and I'm sure you're excited by this opportunity! Sounds like you'll have a great time.

We travel to Europe from Dallas pretty often, and we rarely find tickets for under $1500. It used to make a significant difference whether we booked the flights weeks or even months in advance, but now that doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

I remember fondly traveling roundtrip from Dallas to Frankfurt about fifteen years ago, for under $600. My how times have changed!

Old 04-09-2013, 02:13 PM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Well, have fun. You got a great, and unusual deal, and I'm sure you're excited by this opportunity! Sounds like you'll have a great time.

We travel to Europe from Dallas pretty often, and we rarely find tickets for under $1500. It used to make a significant difference whether we booked the flights weeks or even months in advance, but now that doesn't seem to make a difference at all.

I remember fondly traveling roundtrip from Dallas to Frankfurt about fifteen years ago, for under $600. My how times have changed!
It's a shame how high the prices have become. The lowest prices for even Washington to London are now > $900 per person.

Why have airfares become so high?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's a shame how high the prices have become. The lowest prices for even Washington to London are now > $900 per person.

Why have airfares become so high?
A couple of things, in my opinion:'

1. Their expenses have gone up (price of fuel, for instance)

2. Because they JUST CAN charge more.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:34 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,173,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eiserneBerlin View Post
I'm a German who has been living in the U.S. for the past year and a half, and I've met so many people here who have never been outside of the U.S. I researched the topic a bit, and only about 30% of Americans actually hold a passport. Why are so many Americans not interested in overseas travel? Back in Europe, travel is a big part of the lifestyle and is a very high priority for most. I understand how vast and diverse the U.S. is and that there are a lot of cultural differences from region to region, but it still doesn't have the same effect on personal growth and cultural awareness that travel abroad has. Americans on average are no more or no less well off than the average European, so I don't think it is necessarily a money issue. In fact, quite a few Americans I met who don't travel own quite nice homes and expensive cars. Obviously the U.S. isn't as close to other countries as European countries are, but Aussies, Kiwis, and Canadians are even more isolated yet they tend to travel more.

A lot of Europeans perceive Americans to be culturally ignorant because of their lack of travel and feel that Americans have no interest in learning about anyone but themselves. After living here, I do think Americans in general are a bit more culturally ignorant than Europeans due to a lack of cultural immersion. By this, I don't mean to say that Americans are close-minded, but that they just don't know much about the outside world. I actually find Americans to be extremely open-minded towards foreigners in the U.S. and they tend to ask a lot of questions to learn more about others which is truly wonderful. To be honest, Americans are actually much less xenophobic towards visitors and immigrants than Europeans are. I've noticed this in all parts of the U.S. that I've visited, so clearly Americans do have an interest in learning about foreign cultures which makes it even harder to understand why travel is not a priority.

The Americans I've seen post on this forum tend to be well-traveled individuals, so I'd like hear your opinions on why you think many of your fellow countrymen tend to not be interested in overseas travel.

By the way, I'm not trying to be disrespectful towards Americans in any way. I really like Americans and in many ways they remind me of people back home in Germany. I also really enjoy life in the beautiful Bay Area and have really loved exploring your wonderful country so far.
I've travelled overseas quite a bit myself but I don't care if I ever do it again. Don't get me wrong, I had fun while abroad (UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Slovakia, Russia(Kaliningrad), Poland, Spain, Italy, Morocco, Japan, and China) but I'm not particularly interested in going overseas again. The reason that I'm fairly apathetic to the prospects of future international travel is as follows.

1. It's a pain in ass to travel domestic, let alone abroad.
2. America is massive and has tons of diversity and culture...in Europe you can technically travel "abroad" by going 200 miles in either direction.
3. I'd rather spend my money on other things.
4. I don't feel the need to "broaden my horizons" because everything I could ever need or want is VERY accessible within the confines of the USA.
5. I don't like how rigid Europeans and Asians (aside from Italians, Spaniards, and the Irish) tend to be...obviously a stereotype but I just feel like this has been my experience.
6. International travel is expensive...especially when you factor in dollar to euro/pound/yen conversions.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:18 AM

159 posts, read 263,744 times
I like to make sure I keep my head, I dont want to go to jail for life for someone else murdering my roommate, thank god I am not a women or I would end up a sex slave or dead in a tropical paradise, I like being able to drink untainted water and last but not least foreign countries suck! but to be more honest the cost for the average citizen would be alittle high, so we go to Mexico and Canada closer and cheaper!

Old 04-10-2013, 08:45 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ryder View Post
...and last but not least foreign countries suck! ...
Exactly why would you say the above?

Old 04-10-2013, 11:24 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
A couple of things, in my opinion:'

1. Their expenses have gone up (price of fuel, for instance)

2. Because they JUST CAN charge more.
Also, since 9/11, there is so much money spent on security. I'm not talking about the TSA lines, I'm talking about things you don't see or likely don't even know about. Blast analyses, hardening of the terminals, perimeter detection systems. These upgrades costs hundreds of millions of dollars, and the airport tenants--which are primarily the airlines--pay for them as part of their flight fee formula, and so YOU pay for them because those costs are passed on in the fares.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.