Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 11:52 PM

404 posts, read 1,195,751 times

Advertisements

We moved cross country, Massachusetts to Mesquite, NV and used ABF U=Pack containers. They were great. One problem was the closest they could get to us was in Vegas. We hired a local mover to go down to Vegas to transport our things up to Mesquite. The ABF folks were great to work with during our move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 12:23 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmw0829 View Post
Have any of you used PODS to move to communities with an HOA that is fairly restrictive? I haven't seen the HOA's for the areas we're considering but they're adult communities.

I'm wondering if they allow PODS in the driveways.

I know it will depend on the community but asking for what people have experienced in general.

Thanks in advance.
I know that my HOA has a specific section for PODS and it says that they can only be in the driveway for a few days. I don't remember the exact amount of days, but it was sufficient.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:51 PM

106 posts, read 251,299 times
Thanks for the replies. The ABF containers look like a good deal. We're in the very early stages of planning our possible move and will leave a lot of furniture behind so there's not a ton to move.

Old 05-22-2014, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 9,171 times
Decided to use Pods even thought it was more expensive than other portable units. Was told they would deliver the open end to the garage door to make my packing easier as I am 65 and run short of steam on occasion. They put it in the street over 75 away from the garage facing the west Texas sun in the summer because of their delivery process interferring with my trees. My loading work just magnified itself by a factor of 5. I called and asked if they would provide a dolly and flat moving roller to assist! Good luck! They basically informed me that they did not care about my situation and that they delivered the POD and there job was done. So is the fact that I will use them again.

Old 05-22-2014, 04:42 PM

106 posts, read 251,299 times
I've read horrible reviews of PODS and their customer service. We will probably move without a home to go to and go into a furnished apartment so the manner in which the containers are stored is quite important esp since I will have some electronic / computerized things in it. Climate controlled storage is a necessity for our move.

Old 06-02-2014, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 17,769 times
PODS IS A SCAM. I am a physician in Michigan and did quotes for 16' and 12' PODS. Both quotes that I have email proof of have estimates of $330 for one and $416 for the other. On the day of the delivery I called to schedule a pickup and they Billed another $300 moving fee plus a final $85 dollar final pickup fee that was NEVER DISCLOSED TO ME AT ANY POINT EITHER BY PHONE OR EMAIL UNTIL THE POD WAS SITTING IN MY DRIVEWAY. Use UPACK. PODS IS A SCAM

Old 06-04-2014, 04:43 AM

850 posts, read 1,898,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoran View Post
PODS IS A SCAM. I am a physician in Michigan and did quotes for 16' and 12' PODS. Both quotes that I have email proof of have estimates of $330 for one and $416 for the other. On the day of the delivery I called to schedule a pickup and they Billed another $300 moving fee plus a final $85 dollar final pickup fee that was NEVER DISCLOSED TO ME AT ANY POINT EITHER BY PHONE OR EMAIL UNTIL THE POD WAS SITTING IN MY DRIVEWAY. Use UPACK. PODS IS A SCAM
Why does it matter that you're a 'physician'? Does that make your post more relevant?

Pods are overpriced. Cheaper to do it yourself.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:43 AM

247 posts, read 525,781 times
We had some problems with Pods: quotes not being honored, the price going up every time we called about something. After much negotiation we got the price down to around $300 more than they originally quoted. Likely won't use them again.

I will say this: pack with small boxes. You'll fill all the nooks and crannies better that way.

Old 06-04-2014, 03:10 PM

231 posts, read 381,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
That was my last job - delivering portable on demand storage units.

When I move - I will be using them.

When you use them try to give the guys a nice tip. You know how far a 10 or 20 can go? A lot of times we were at work when it was bare light in the morning until it was dark at night - look at the price of breakfast lunch and dinner when you are out ALL DAY.

ALSO - don't be ignorant - if a driver says it can't be put somewhere - trust the fact that it is a problem.

If they say it will tear up your lawn - it is a problem where a few hunks of plywood won't prevent it.

As a rule a driver will try the BEST he can with just a little consideration.
Just happened to skim over this yesterday. Driver came, I gave him $20 and said thanks for taking care of all my stuff before he even loaded it in the truck, also offered him a bottle of cold water. Turns out I was 500lbs over the 6000lbs limit. I am not sure what company policy is when you are over, although I have read that they make you unpack some stuff. In any event, I mentioned my whole life is in his hands now. He said something to the extent of "your whole life weighs in at 6500lbs" and laughed. So I looked at him and mentioned that I was over to which he replied "don't sweat it".

I am not sure if he has to say anything when it is over, but either way he let it go...I am not sure if it was the tip and being friendly, but I am sure it helped.

Old 06-16-2014, 03:36 PM

2 posts, read 17,769 times
no not more relevant at all. Was just mentioning what I do and that I got taken by a company simply because I didn't do the research ahead of time. My fault. That's all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > General Moving Issues