Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 10:39 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
She WAS born in NYC. in Manhattan. instructions were to send this form and the $15 for a copy of the birth cert 'for family history info.' No one told me, and I talked to someone in person, to send it to a separate place. The form asks what borough she was born in (Manhattan). Perhaps they have changed how they process these requests.

My application went to:

Office of Vital Records
125 Worth Street, CN-4, Room 119
New York, NY 10013-4090
That's the New York City Health Department, so you sent it to the correct place.

NYC: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/new_york_city.htm
NYS: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/w2w/new_york.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2023, 01:48 PM

5,039 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
She WAS born in NYC. in Manhattan. instructions were to send this form and the $15 for a copy of the birth cert 'for family history info.' No one told me, and I talked to someone in person, to send it to a separate place. The form asks what borough she was born in (Manhattan). Perhaps they have changed how they process these requests.

My application went to:

Office of Vital Records
125 Worth Street, CN-4, Room 119
New York, NY 10013-4090
In post #78 you said you sent it to the "State of NY" (Albany), so fortunately you didn't.

Old 04-27-2023, 04:45 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
In post #78 you said you sent it to the "State of NY" (Albany), so fortunately you didn't.
We might be splitting hairs here. When I said 'state of NY' I guess I assumed Vital Records was a state agency.

Old 04-27-2023, 06:54 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
It doesn't matter. OP, please remember to post if and when you receive the birth information. I've been keeping an eye on this thread, as I'm ready to celebrate when you get the missing info.

Old 04-28-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
It doesn't matter. OP, please remember to post if and when you receive the birth information. I've been keeping an eye on this thread, as I'm ready to celebrate when you get the missing info.
I will. I keep looking to see if they cashed my $15 check, but nothing so far.

Old 04-28-2023, 10:28 AM

5,039 posts, read 7,417,088 times
Quote:
We might be splitting hairs here. When I said 'state of NY' I guess I assumed Vital Records was a state agency.
As mentioned before, NYC has its own Vital Records separate from the State which is very clear on their website. It's a City agency. It's not splitting hairs if you sent your application to the wrong one. You would get your check returned to you. The two agencies are not connected. I've had to use both for birth and death certificates depending on where the event took place. Since your mother was born in Manhattan, the State Vital Records in Albany would not have her BC.

Also worth noting that NYC Vital Records is much slower at fulfilling requests than the State. You may have a long wait.

Old 06-03-2023, 07:23 PM

UGH....false alarm today when I saw my self-addressed envelope from NY Vital Records. All my documents and my check were returned to me. Enclosed with my paperwork was a form that indicated I needed to have the original death certificate for my mother (which they would return to me) and a 'family tree' one page sheet that I was required to fill out.
When I originally filled out the paperwork I sent in, I was careful and didn't think the death cert was necessary (because I was requesting for genealogy). And I saw nothing about the family tree form. I cannot get a death cert from CA (where Mom passed) w/out the birth cert.
I may give up since I am the only one interested in my mother's parents' info and it's likely than any relatives of hers might have also passed away.

Sigh. I tried Mom.

Old 06-04-2023, 07:54 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
I cannot get a death cert from CA (where Mom passed) w/out the birth cert.
As I detailed before, yes you can:

There is nothing in the CA vital records info that says you need a birth certificate to order a death certificate: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/CDPH%20Docum...orms/VS112.pdf

"WHAT TO SUBMIT FOR A CERTIFIED COPY OF A DEATH CERTIFICATE
□ Completed “Application for Certified Copy of Death Record” (VS 112).
□ Notarized sworn statement (if applicable).
□ $24 fee per copy requested (check or money order in US dollars, made payable to
CDPH-Vital Records) NO CASH."

Particularly if you're ordering an informational copy, you don't even need a notarized sworn statement: "If you are requesting a certified informational copy, you DO NOT need to provide a sworn statement."

You just fill out the form, include the money, and send it in. Granted, that's when ordering by mail - if you were trying to order online, they make you use third parties (like VitalChek) who are supposed to only require what the state requires, but since they are third parties, it's entirely possible they get things wrong. This is another reason I don't like to use these third parties, it may take longer to order it by mail but it cuts out the unnecessary middle man so it's less expensive and you know the requirements are correct.

Old 06-06-2023, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
As I detailed before, yes you can:

There is nothing in the CA vital records info that says you need a birth certificate to order a death certificate: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/CDPH%20Docum...orms/VS112.pdf

"WHAT TO SUBMIT FOR A CERTIFIED COPY OF A DEATH CERTIFICATE
□ Completed “Application for Certified Copy of Death Record” (VS 112).
□ Notarized sworn statement (if applicable).
□ $24 fee per copy requested (check or money order in US dollars, made payable to
CDPH-Vital Records) NO CASH."

Particularly if you're ordering an informational copy, you don't even need a notarized sworn statement: "If you are requesting a certified informational copy, you DO NOT need to provide a sworn statement."

You just fill out the form, include the money, and send it in. Granted, that's when ordering by mail - if you were trying to order online, they make you use third parties (like VitalChek) who are supposed to only require what the state requires, but since they are third parties, it's entirely possible they get things wrong. This is another reason I don't like to use these third parties, it may take longer to order it by mail but it cuts out the unnecessary middle man so it's less expensive and you know the requirements are correct.
I'll probably give this one last shot. Thank you.

My try with NY was with the Department of Vital Records - it seemed the easier option when I (mistakenly) thought I didn't need certain documentation for an informational copy. I will review the link you provided. I must have misunderstood CA process.

Old 06-09-2023, 03:38 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
UGH....false alarm today when I saw my self-addressed envelope from NY Vital Records. All my documents and my check were returned to me. Enclosed with my paperwork was a form that indicated I needed to have the original death certificate for my mother (which they would return to me) and a 'family tree' one page sheet that I was required to fill out.
When I originally filled out the paperwork I sent in, I was careful and didn't think the death cert was necessary (because I was requesting for genealogy). And I saw nothing about the family tree form. I cannot get a death cert from CA (where Mom passed) w/out the birth cert.
I may give up since I am the only one interested in my mother's parents' info and it's likely than any relatives of hers might have also passed away.

Sigh. I tried Mom.

Sorry, talk about feeling let down.

Keep your eye on the prize, you'll figure it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy