Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 07:30 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
It's so easy, I don't know why you're dragging your feet. I used to order death certificates right and left. I have a whole folder full of 'em, never had to submit any documents to get them.
yea, I'm doing it today.

Another question (for anyone). Can I delete the tree I've started and start over again? I have two trees going and the relationships are not labeled correctly. I can't seem to change this in the profile section. But when I try to delete something, the system indicates that the deletion is 'permanent.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 04:19 PM

5,013 posts, read 7,401,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
yea, I'm doing it today.

Another question (for anyone). Can I delete the tree I've started and start over again? I have two trees going and the relationships are not labeled correctly. I can't seem to change this in the profile section. But when I try to delete something, the system indicates that the deletion is 'permanent.'
Sometimes starting over is the easiest way to go, if your tree is still small. You should be able to build as many trees as you like. If you don't want one of your trees permanently deleted, then don't delete it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to delete something if you didn't mean it.

"If at first you don't succeed, try and try again"-- we all started out the same way. You'll get the hang of it.

Old 04-01-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Sometimes starting over is the easiest way to go, if your tree is still small. You should be able to build as many trees as you like. If you don't want one of your trees permanently deleted, then don't delete it, but I'm not sure why you'd want to delete something if you didn't mean it.

"If at first you don't succeed, try and try again"-- we all started out the same way. You'll get the hang of it.
Coming back to this because I finally sent away from my mother's birth cert from NY. We'll see if the parent's names are on it - although I would assume they would be. She was fostered, or at least that's my understanding, not adopted, so fingers crossed.

I AM going to start over with the family tree....there are way too many duplicate 'hints' and saved records and many of the labels are incorrect (probably my errors). I've got quite a bit on my father's side of the family but nothing on my Mother's other than a couple of census records.

Old 04-01-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Coming back to this because I finally sent away from my mother's birth cert from NY. We'll see if the parent's names are on it - although I would assume they would be. She was fostered, or at least that's my understanding, not adopted, so fingers crossed.

I AM going to start over with the family tree....there are way too many duplicate 'hints' and saved records and many of the labels are incorrect (probably my errors). I've got quite a bit on my father's side of the family but nothing on my Mother's other than a couple of census records.
So this means you got her death cert. from CA? Progress!

A birth certificate will have parents' names, ages, address. Name of hospital where born or other birth location. Sometimes other info. like parents' birthplaces and number of children mother gave birth to previously.

Old 04-01-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So this means you got her death cert. from CA? Progress!

A birth certificate will have parents' names, ages, address. Name of hospital where born or other birth location. Sometimes other info. like parents' birthplaces and number of children mother gave birth to previously.
No....to get her death cert from CA I would have had to send a bunch of documents, including her birth cert.
All I needed for her NY birth cert was filling out a form, copies of my ID (I had my NY birth cert with my mother's name on it) and to fill in some background info on her. I wrote a short letter outlining some more details, such as her date of death. I did have a BC number from an archive record but when I tried to plug it in to their form, I got a auto-message saying it was an invalid number. Probably missing some letters. The form had to be notarized. $15. I should hear back in a couple of weeks.

I do hope the BC contains at least her parents' names. I've been unable to find anything.

Old 04-01-2023, 06:30 PM

Above you said you needed her death certificate to apply for her NY birth certificate. You don't need anything to request a death certificate, unless you want the cause of death included. At least not in the states I've gotten them from.

Oh well, I hope you're on the right track now.

Old 04-01-2023, 08:12 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,370,923 times
Quote:
I joined Ancestry on a 6-month heavily discounted plan to try to find info on my mother's side of the family. She was born in NY and I can find her on some census records but I cannot find her parents.
She was either given up for adoption by her birth parents or put in the care of a children's home when she was about 10 yrs old, and I can see a record for that home in Brooklyn, NY, but I am not finding her B/C.
Any suggestions?
I am also curious about variations in the spelling of her last name (maiden) and whether the searches done by Ancestry are 'soundex' or must be exact.
Hi there OP. I'm guessing you've tried this, but wanted to throw it out there all the same. On Ancestry - when you've found your mom's name do you have a column on the right hand side that gives you additional options to click on and take a look? Some of those matches showing in the column that Ancestry provides at first may not appear to be something but can lead to something. Suggestion: Click one of the names in the column, look at the info that pops up. You want to locate a census record that matches or something else. When you get the record click on one of the names in the record and see what come up on that column. Oddly, the second or third pass through on the column will sometimes provide different info that the first pass through does not.

Old 04-02-2023, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Above you said you needed her death certificate to apply for her NY birth certificate. You don't need anything to request a death certificate, unless you want the cause of death included. At least not in the states I've gotten them from.

Oh well, I hope you're on the right track now.
Other way around. For CA death cert, I needed a copy of her birth cert and proof of my relationship to her. If I misunderstood you, my error.
I'll see what I get from NY. Thanks for your assistance.

Old 04-02-2023, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Hi there OP. I'm guessing you've tried this, but wanted to throw it out there all the same. On Ancestry - when you've found your mom's name do you have a column on the right hand side that gives you additional options to click on and take a look? Some of those matches showing in the column that Ancestry provides at first may not appear to be something but can lead to something. Suggestion: Click one of the names in the column, look at the info that pops up. You want to locate a census record that matches or something else. When you get the record click on one of the names in the record and see what come up on that column. Oddly, the second or third pass through on the column will sometimes provide different info that the first pass through does not.
There do seem to be wormholes to go down when surfing around on Ancestry. With Mom, there are just basically dead ends. We'll see if the NY BC gets me some names to explore.
I am going to re-start my tree, too as someone suggested.

Old 04-02-2023, 07:14 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Other way around. For CA death cert, I needed a copy of her birth cert and proof of my relationship to her. If I misunderstood you, my error.
I'll see what I get from NY. Thanks for your assistance.
There is nothing in the CA vital records info that says you need a birth certificate to order a death certificate: https://www.cdph.ca.gov/CDPH%20Docum...orms/VS112.pdf

"WHAT TO SUBMIT FOR A CERTIFIED COPY OF A DEATH CERTIFICATE
□ Completed “Application for Certified Copy of Death Record” (VS 112).
□ Notarized sworn statement (if applicable).
□ $24 fee per copy requested (check or money order in US dollars, made payable to
CDPH-Vital Records) NO CASH."

Particularly if you're ordering an informational copy, you don't even need a notarized sworn statement: "If you are requesting a certified informational copy, you DO NOT need to provide a sworn statement."

You just fill out the form, include the money, and send it in. Granted, that's when ordering by mail - if you were trying to order online, they make you use third parties (like VitalChek) who are supposed to only require what the state requires, but since they are third parties, it's entirely possible they get things wrong. This is another reason I don't like to use these third parties, it may take longer to order it by mail but it cuts out the unnecessary middle man so it's less expensive and you know the requirements are correct.

The birth certificate will certainly be much more likely to include the parent's names though. Unless she was abandoned at birth and her parents are unknown, or at least the father was unknown or the mother chose not to identify him, the parent's names should be on there. The death certificate will only include the parent's names if they were known to the informant of the death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Genealogy