Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times

Advertisements

I've got a crimson king maple tree in my rear yard. I don't know how old it is, but the neighbor who moved in during 1996 said it was there when he moved in. I'm curious about how big it could get at maturity. At my chest-height it's maybe 12" in diameter. I have a 1.5 story house, and it's maybe 15 feet taller than the peak of my roof (40-45 feet total maybe?)

Various websites claim 40 to 60' at maturity. Mine isn't particularly "thick" but seems pretty tall now. Anyone have first hand experience with these? Nice looking tree but I hope it won't get 2' round and 60' tall, at that height and size it could cause damage to the house if it falls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM

955 posts, read 4,090,146 times
Wyman's encyclopedia list the potential of Crimson King to reach 90 feet. It also suggests that the habit of growth tends to be vertical rather than horizontal - a tall skinny tree Of course, thats all a matter of perspective.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:30 PM

325 posts, read 925,115 times
I would say 40-50' rounded form is typical. I wouldn't wory about it falling over (unless you have a tornado). They tend to be pretty sturdy. However, Norway maples develop a dense root system and cast dense shade, making lawn growth difficult as the trees grow.

Also, this is considered an invasive species and is being banned in many states (existing trees excluded, of course).

Old 01-04-2010, 05:27 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,112,364 times
Thanks. Most people are telling me to cut this down and replace it with something smaller, like a Japanese Maple, that won't get out of control. The lawn under it is doing ok now, as I clipped off a lot of the lower branches, and the tree is kinda tall and skinny.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:24 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
In many cases, these are considered unwanted invasive trees.

It rapidly spreads (escapes your yard) and can choke or shade out sugar maple and other trees in areas where they are valued. However you may have a clone that can't seed. Much of a plant's "invasive" nature depends on where you live and what exactly you have.

It also has shallow, rather aggressive roots that can cause problems with septic tanks, water lines, side walks and other man made things we tend to use. I doubt much will ever grow under it either.

If interested, check your state's web listings for invasive trees, and check for Norway Maple or 'Crimson King'

I dislike them myself.

Old 05-10-2010, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 24,304 times
I need to Crimson Maple to grow fast...what can I do to help it along?

Old 05-10-2010, 01:55 PM

2 posts, read 24,304 times
I need for a Crimson King Maple to grow fast. What can I do to help it along?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden