Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2010, 11:57 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,805 times

Advertisements

Hello I have a maple tree...unsure of age but planted in my yard 3 years ago that is showing some signs of disease.

The bark is peeling and there are 3 or 4 tiny holes along the base. I have feed the tree some Bayer tree feed and protect a few week ago hoping it would help.

The side that is showing distress is facing west. It gets beat on by sun most of the day.

Is this tree a goner? The leaves are vibrant and full, no discoloration. Do I need to paint the bark or apply some sort of miracle chemical?

rest of pictures:
ImageShack(TM) slideshow
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2010, 12:09 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
I had a similar problem. I ended up cutting the Maple down.

Many Maples don't like sun beating on their bark. Sadly that tree is a goner.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:24 PM

How long does it have to live? What about white wrap?

Old 06-21-2010, 12:47 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
it looks to me like the damage is way too extensive and beyond anything or device which would help. I'm sorry.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:03 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
How long does it have to live? What about white wrap?
It'll live for a few years and then break off (due to rot).

White wrap would have been good when you first planted it. It is too late now.

Sorry for your tree.

Old 06-22-2010, 04:58 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
I agree with the others, I don't think you'll be able to save that tree, the damage is too extensive. If you want to replant a maple in that location, be sure to by something that is locally grown.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:13 PM

You guys were correct. Here is what the pros at the local nursery said.

"Oh, dear. This is not good. The tree looks pretty well a goner to us. Most trees cannot tolerate such extensive bark damage. The secondary fungus growing in there and the little shoot trying to come out from below are also bad signs.

This appears to be sunscald with possibly some old mechanical damage to the trunk, and also trunk rot. Sunscald does not happen that often in our region but it's not unheard of. It usually happens as the result of overexposure to sun in winter, especially on thin-barked trees like maples. The sun heats up the tree, usually the southwestern side, enough to activate dormant cells which then do not go back into dormancy in time for the evening cold temperatures that are capable of damaging or killing active cells. Trees can also develop frost cracks in the bark in response to the expansion and contraction of the tree bark during the fluctuating temperatures of winter.

I notice a sprinkler in the background of one of the shots. It is set such that water hits the bark of the tree? Because that could have been exacerbating the problem by having watering going into those cracks on a regular basis. So, in the future, try to make sure the tree is not getting hit by the sprinkler.

I also don't see a trunk flare at the base of the tree. If a tree is planted too deep, you won't see the flare that naturally develops at the base and instead get that telephone pole look. It's very easy to kill a tree this way because the bark at the base of the tree is covered by soil and/or mulch and then rots. Once it does, the tree loses its ability to bring up water into the canopy. So, next time, find the spot where the trunk meets the roots and make sure that it is above ground and doesn't have mulch resting directly against it.

If you decide to plant another tree in this spot (and I do think that the current tree will not likely live very long), here is what you can do to prevent sunscald:

-block the winter sun, if possible. This can be difficult but sometimes a strategically placed shrub or other tree can do the trick. It typically needs to be blocking the southwestern sun.
- apply a white tree wrap around the trunk. It's best to remove it during the growing season and to not use it for more than a few years.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any more questions about this or if I may be of further assistance."

Old 06-22-2010, 08:33 PM

1 posts, read 16,084 times
I have a similar problem can anyone help me attached are two pix [url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64450&stc=1https://www.city-data.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=64451&stc=1&d=12772603 92&d=1277260392[/url], can anyone help me with this
Attached Thumbnails
Maple Tree Bark Issue-06-22-10_1943.jpg   Maple Tree Bark Issue-06-22-10_1944.jpg  

Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 AM

I cant tell by the pictures. Are the leaves bitten off or have white stuff on them? You look to have a silver maple.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:26 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
It looks like the leaves have galls forming. Galls are usually made by the leaf around something that is "irritating" it by chewing or burrowing in it's veins and leaf structure. Some galls are considered beauty issues, they won't damage the tree but look ugly. Others indicate a pest that may eventually damage the tree.

Your best bet is to ask locally for an ID and possible need to spray the tree to get rid of the bug/nematode/bacteria that is irritating the tree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden