Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 10:11 PM

75 posts, read 290,279 times

Advertisements

It looks like my small japanese cutleaf maple tree has a white fungus growing on the leaves. Does anyone have any ideas for treating the fungus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 11:03 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyR View Post
It looks like my small japanese cutleaf maple tree has a white fungus growing on the leaves. Does anyone have any ideas for treating the fungus?
I would try Sulfur....IF you cannot easily find it(like I can't) I use REGULAR Epsom Salts(13% Sulfur) to take care of fungal problems in plants....it cleared up a fungus infecting my 50 plus year old oak tree.

Good luck!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I would try Sulfur....IF you cannot easily find it(like I can't) I use REGULAR Epsom Salts(13% Sulfur) to take care of fungal problems in plants....it cleared up a fungus infecting my 50 plus year old oak tree.

Good luck!
Thank you. Should I dilute the epsom salt with water and spray the leaves or pour it on the soil near the roots? If so, what is the mixture ratio?

Old 07-28-2011, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Thank you. Should I dilute the epsom salt with water and spray the leaves or pour it on the soil near the roots? If so, what is the mixture ratio?
I pour it around the roots and water it in.......I'm NOT sure about using it in foliar fashion...it may crystalize on the leave pores.

I'm sure diluting in water and watering would work....but I use it by the 6 pound bag around a huge tree......I'll see IF I can find a link about how much to use...it's on the package but I used it all....I buy it at Walgreens..........instructions are on the back of the bag.

Epsom salt on plants - Southern Gardening Forum - GardenWeb

http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%2...om%20salts.pdf

Two Tablespoons per gallon.

BUT....I would just spread it on the ground and water it in.

How large is your tree??????

I just used 24 pounds on my Oak tree and do so every 3 to 4 months.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:35 AM

My tree is appx 12 inches.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:59 AM

Quote:
My tree is appx 12 inches.
Trunk diameter.........I'd use at least an entire bag spread out around the trunk base out to a few feet.

Height??????...I'd use just a cup or half a cup.........spread around base.

Either way...I'd do it every month at first...tapering off to every other month....until the fungus is gone...

Old 07-28-2011, 08:45 AM

Thanks Pittston2Sarasota, you're a tree saver!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 AM

955 posts, read 4,088,644 times
Quote:
Can you post a picture just so we can be sure its a fungus?

Old 07-28-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
Can you post a picture just so we can be sure its a fungus?
Will do shortly. Thank you.

Old 07-28-2011, 05:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Look up Powdery Mildew on Japanese Maples. Follow directions from there. The fungi that cause powdery mildews in a multitude of plants are more effectively treat through topical treatments and cultural processes. Go to the Extension web site for your area and see what they recommend. Different PM's in different parts of the country and on different plants respond to different treatments and different times of the year. Its a very common problem. You should check all your tees and plants and treat all of them if necessary. then work with your neighbors to get them to treat their plants as well.

We had a powdery mildew out break on Crepe Myrtles in my neighborhood. I passed out flyer's and worked with many neighbors to spread the word and directions for identification and treatment. Worked very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden