Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 05:34 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Sunday July, 18, 2021 update:

Top 10 coldest 1st half of July's here with the max temp average. Clouds and rain was the theme. That meant nights warm but the days were below normal. Had sun and heat for 2 days this week. Rain again last night.

Up to 8.93" for the month.
Days this summer in the 90s: 2!
Days above 85°F: 4!

But its been HUMID! Most number of days this month with dewpoints going above 70°F! (Clouds and Rain)

YES! 1st one.

I'd rather be shoveling snow!

Threerun is laughing at my corn. lol

Fig tree is growing and growing. Loves the wet pattern. Figs still small though.

Tomatoes doing very well. Cherry's are ripening

My soil temps in the garden haven't been as warm as previous years so far. This mornings temp was 79.1°

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2021, 07:01 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
Cambium, do you ever see mice in your veggie gardens?

When you wrote about planting corn, that was my first thought ... I think I've been hearing too much about the mice plague in Australia!

Oh, and your cuke looks great! Is it close to harvest time already for more of your veggies?

Old 07-18-2021, 08:07 AM

24,514 posts, read 10,836,221 times
I am about yo give up - first the deadly unseasonal freeze, then relentless rains. Tomatoes did very well, cucumbers/melons/zucchini overproduced for four weeks and now the plants are spent. A second generation cucumbers is in big pots. The same with the usual pepper crops - too this too that. With about ten weeks of growing season left the second generation is four to six inches and will go into the ground next week. Another toad strangler just passed throug. Mother Nature is in menopause!

Old 07-18-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

When you wrote about planting corn, that was my first thought ... I think I've been hearing too much about the mice plague in Australia!

Nope. None. My neighbors cat roaming around must help.

Quote:
Oh, and your cuke looks great! Is it close to harvest time already for more of your veggies?

Yup.. End of July, all of August and September is picking time. Then days struggle past 70s in October and Then nights get down into the 40s and things are pretty much done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
I am about yo give up - first the deadly unseasonal freeze, then relentless rains. Tomatoes did very well, cucumbers/melons/zucchini overproduced for four weeks and now the plants are spent. A second generation cucumbers is in big pots. The same with the usual pepper crops - too this too that. With about ten weeks of growing season left the second generation is four to six inches and will go into the ground next week. Another toad strangler just passed throug. Mother Nature is in menopause!
One reason I love gardening is the challenges, including the weather & climate differences year over year. Been happening since the dawn of time in this region. Mark Twain had a saying. It's frustrating, yes, but its nature. Hope you have a better second half of summer.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:10 PM

Couple more from today.......

From the roof: Note 3 things:
1. I purposely prune my trees so the garden beds have sun
2. The deck is shaded (on purpose)
3. String beans on the left growing tall, cucumbers on other trellis are not

Harvest

Just saw this hiding out. Homestead Tomato. 1st non cherry ripe one.

Inside is not too juicy but it tastes good. Not too acidic either

Old 07-18-2021, 04:27 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
No troubling squirrels this year, Cambium?

Old 07-18-2021, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

Nope. None. Don't jinx me! lol.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:05 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,066,509 times
That tomato in post #76 is BEAUTIFUL! I had a chicken salad sandwich for lunch today and I would have loved to add that tomato to my sandwich, LOL!

Old 07-19-2021, 05:13 AM

Quote:

Here's your answer why I don't...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
You jinxed me. I walked out this morning and heard a squirrel on a nearby tree........ Check out what comes jumping over the fence and onto the stump....

Go get em kitty!

Old 07-19-2021, 10:26 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Threerun is laughing at my corn. lol
No way! I'm envious that you get tomatoes, cukes and peppers like normal gardens grow! Our garden seems to turn its nose at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden