Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 04:14 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times

Advertisements

Ok, been a couple days and I'm starting to see the Clay now. Yup.

And this is where I stand.... Yup. Smack dab in the middle. CLAY!

There might be little more silt than sand I show here but doesn't make a difference. Still inside the Clay triangle.

If I can reduce the clay soil by 20% I'll be closer to Clay Loam and that would be better!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2021, 06:59 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ok, been a couple days and I'm starting to see the Clay now. Yup.

And this is where I stand.... Yup. Smack dab in the middle. CLAY!

There might be little more silt than sand I show here but doesn't make a difference. Still inside the Clay triangle.

If I can reduce the clay soil by 20% I'll be closer to Clay Loam and that would be better!
I know I am predominantly clay and a very small touch of sand in many parts of my yard (former golf course) if my plants were like yours I would be delighted.

Old 07-10-2021, 06:01 AM

Sunday July 10, 2021 Update::

2 Hot days (90s), rest of week was mostly cloudy with lots of rain and 70s-80s for temps.

Before the Tropical storm yesterday we had over 4" of rain this month alone and it was only the 9th of July. ITS BEEN WET! I haven't needed to water the garden all week....in JULY. .

After Elsa another 4"+ dropped. So lets start with this...............

My backyard precip totals, includes melting of snow. 8.45" this month and its only the 10th.

I prefer a drought to be honest.

During a heavy band with tropical storm Elsa this is what clay soil is like... but as soon as the rain let up it started draining.

I'll be seeing yellow leaves more due to all the rains we had and I have to start controlling diseases. Dirt splashing up on leaves is not good either..

1st ripe one...........

Looks like a jungle! The magic of Rain water!

Nothing going on in the other bed. Cucumbers aren't good this year. I'll be throwing out all my seeds because I forgot which ones I planted. I may get a few harvests from it. We'll see.

Don't laugh at my corn. LOL

With a Tropical Storm overhead this is what Long Island sound looked like. LOLOL

Old 07-10-2021, 06:47 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Watching the weather last night and though of you as I saw the rain cloud over Ct. Your pictures matched what I imagined.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:12 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Cambium, how do you protect against tomato horn worms? No matter where I live, they e always been a problem.

Old 07-11-2021, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Watching the weather last night and though of you as I saw the rain cloud over Ct. Your pictures matched what I imagined.

Everything is so lush and green in the area. No complaints for Middle of summer. It's also holding down any extended warming, we haven't had too many 90s. But it is more humid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Cambium, how do you protect against tomato horn worms? No matter where I live, they e always been a problem.
Never had a problem. Maybe because I till the soil since the larva isn't that deep, tilling destroys them. Many more benefits in tilling soil than people think.

Tilling is a must

Old 07-11-2021, 08:02 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Everything is so lush and green in the area. No complaints for Middle of summer. It's also holding down any extended warming, we haven't had too many 90s. But it is more humid

Never had a problem. Maybe because I till the soil since the larva isn't that deep, tilling destroys them. Many more benefits in tilling soil than people think.

Tilling is a must
I thought that the moths for hornworms landed on them at night and laid eggs, no? My tomatoes were in new soil in containers.

Old 07-11-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I thought that the moths for hornworms landed on them at night and laid eggs, no? My tomatoes were in new soil in containers.
Not sure since its not an issue here I never had to deal with them. Sorry. Check YouTube for some solutions. Hope you can figure it out. Nothing worse then something interfering with a harvest

Old 07-11-2021, 12:07 PM

Rain and Clouds. Rain and Clouds. The theme this month. No ripe tomatoes yet but the diseases and yellow leaves are starting thanks to the weather pattern.

So... 1 Tablespoon of Baking Soda with 1 Gallon of water. Mix and spray all leaves underside and top.

Watch this video for more info.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3UcWu-p-CU

Old 07-12-2021, 08:04 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Cambium, I think we got the same weather -- we've been drenched up here in southwestern New Hampshire. I desperately need to mow my lawn but it's been raining literally every day!! Even days that were SUPPOSED to be sunny, we got rain and/or the lawn was still totally wet and soggy.

My front yard looks like a jungle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden