Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2021, 07:00 AM

83,511 posts, read 75,277,900 times

Advertisements

Couple more... I thought I planted River Birch here. Whoops. lol. Looks like some kind of Cherry or Dogwood.

Tulips don't last long enough.

Lilac... I LOVE Lilacs!

Eastern Red Bud Tree

Now that's called Root Bound. lol

Hot Peppers doing well

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 12:01 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
That top one does look like a dogwood. Had them all over when we lived in WV..

Nice to see things blooming! We have a little ways yet. The serviceberry's are getting ready to bloom here.

Old 05-16-2021, 06:00 AM

Sunday May 16, 2021 Update:
No Rain all week. Started getting warmer yesterday (70s)

Starting with some color...

Rhodo's are blooming

I always forget the name of this bush. Snowball Bush?

So cool. They're actually white. New phone and camera not the greatest.

Onions

Peppers are in the pots

Bell Peppers are in the ground

Salad time

Speaking of rushing....... I transplanted 1 week earlier than I wanted to and without slowly patiently getting them used to the sun, they got sun scold. I also think my neighbor sprayed something on his property and the residue came over to me. Mostly sun scold.

Don't get grossed out. I found a solution for gnats! So easy. Straight Apple Cider Vinegar poured into a lid. They flock to it because it smells like rotten food after a little time and the Gnats dip in for a drink, and never come back out. Noticeable difference in the yard now. What this does is disrupt the cycle of them which is EGG, LARVA, PUPAL, and ADULT. If the adults are caught, they'll never lay the eggs and so you reduce the population. I have multiple lids around the property. lol. You can always get a bug zapper too.

Spoiler

Old 05-16-2021, 06:07 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Cam, I read that works for noseem's too. We went out to dinner almost 2 weeks ago and I got eaten alive by the ferry terminal outdoor dining area. The article I read said to add a drop of dawn to the ACV.

Snowball Hydrangea or mophead depending upon where you are from,( I think.) In my experience, in NY it was called a snowball, but in my area in the Carolinas it was a mophead when I lived there.

Old 05-23-2021, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Cam, I read that works for noseem's too. We went out to dinner almost 2 weeks ago and I got eaten alive by the ferry terminal outdoor dining area. The article I read said to add a drop of dawn to the ACV.

Snowball Hydrangea or mophead depending upon where you are from,( I think.) In my experience, in NY it was called a snowball, but in my area in the Carolinas it was a mophead when I lived there.
Thanks!

Old 05-23-2021, 05:39 AM

Sunday May 23, 2021 update:

What a week. NO RAIN & HOT

Lets start with the 7am Soil temps. Now up to 68.5°. Warmer than previous 3 years for this date.
Lettuce is bolting but Cucumbers are popping. Grass is actually drying out and it just came out of dormancy last month. lol

See the cucumbers popping?

Arugula bolted from the heat. Not even 3 weeks worth of picking it. lol

Bell Peppers

Onions

Wish me luck. Artichoke. 1st time.

Hot Peppers doing well

Tomatoes... Eh

Old 05-23-2021, 05:40 AM

The 2 Beds. I have to restring my cucumber trellis. Robins keep taking the string for their nest.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:18 AM

Smell it? Mmmmm!

Pink Rhodo

Purple Rhodo

Old 06-17-2021, 05:03 AM

June 17, 2021

We had a couple of hot days but this month is cool with no humidity (Thankfully!)

Soil temp still in the mid 60s

Cucumbers don't really grow much when soil temp is under 70°. Over 75 and you see them take off

Onions thickening up. I need to weed and throw some straw on them.

Fig Tree

1st time growing Artichokes. Cool looking!

Corn in the middle, Bell Peppers on the right. Picture is blurry but there's nothing to see anyway. lol. Corn HATES growing here.

Tomatoes, String Beans in the back, Hot peppers in the pots

The 2 Beds

Lastly........ Grew from seeds... Stunning

Old 06-27-2021, 06:25 AM

June 27, 2021:

Hot and Muggy weather coming next few days so next weeks update should have some growth surge. Luckily we get breaks unlike the south. I don't know how they deal with this misery.

Less than an inch of rain this past week from just 2 heavy downpours. But air was so nice and dry and cool for a couple days so I didn't have to water much.

Soil temps at 74.6° this morning.

Petunias from seeds

1 Bed

Other bed

Eggplant in pots has a visitor growing out of one of them. . lol

Kale still going. Lettuce gonna bolt with the heat coming. I'll just pull it soon

Onions thickening up

Hot peppers in pots doing well

Corn? Funny

Sun Flowers starting to get taller now

Cant wait

Cant wait

Can't wait

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden