Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 02:56 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
I agree with many of the above posters. Several 5" pots would not impress me at all as a first glance at your house. Why not a seasonal display on your front porch which would be more welcoming? A couple of pumpkins and a container of ornamental grass with nice plumes would convey a sense of "home" with minimal fuss.
I was going to sink the pots and hide the pot part, but I'll just plant them. I thought it might be easier to change out when the weather cools and they will no longer bloom. I know there are landscapers here that do that.

I actually have begun to add some pumpkins and such. Although it is still warm here, the area immediately by my front door only gets a couple of hours of sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 04:22 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I was going to sink the pots and hide the pot part, but I'll just plant them. I thought it might be easier to change out when the weather cools and they will no longer bloom. I know there are landscapers here that do that.

I actually have begun to add some pumpkins and such. Although it is still warm here, the area immediately by my front door only gets a couple of hours of sun.

That sounds like a good plan. We use ornamental kale and pansies here for cool weather color.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:34 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Other than flowering plants, are there any plants with colorful leaves that grow well in your area? Then you don't have to worry about the plant blooming, just keeping it alive is all that's necessary. Although, if you used plastic or silk flowers, you'd not even have to do that. Dunno as if they'd look tacky or not, though. I've had a window flower box full of silk flowers before, it looked festive and was much easier to care for than a real one in that windy location would have been.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 01-31-2014 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden