Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 AM

46 posts, read 194,036 times

Advertisements

Hi ,

We have 2 big pillars in the entrace of our house and were thinking to keep large round bowl type pots on top. We wanted to plant in them in the center some small height evergreen plant and in the side some small /short plants which give flowers in spring/summer? IMPORTANT part is we want something that looks pretty throughout the yr without dying in Winter.

Any recommendations shall be helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,112,765 times
Jasmine?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:50 AM

476 posts, read 1,677,248 times
How about a dwarf Alberta Spruce? Here is one I did on my porch last year. Because of the acidity of the pine you need to be sure you give the other plants enough soiland or nutrients. Ivy, lobelia, & bacopa all give a nice trailing look to the edges if you want something to trail down along with your flowers.

I also have some upright curly leaf ligustrum in pots flanking the stairs to our house. It is my understanding that if put in the ground ligustrum can become invasive. I've not seen it happen, but read that, so might be best to keep them in containers though many people use them readily in landscaping. I like their unique look and they are great in large pots as they can get pretty tall. You have to be sure ot get the upright type, not the ones that spread into wide shrubs. I got mine at Garden Supply on Old Apex in Cary.

You can get Alberta Spruce at almost any garden center. Both plants retain their leaves and color year round.

Everygreen/flowering plants for entrance Pillar decor-cp-power-poles-3.23-sad-day028.jpg

Everygreen/flowering plants for entrance Pillar decor-img_1889.jpg

Old 04-12-2010, 12:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Depends upon the exposure and in what zone you are planting. With an unshaded Southern exposure you may need to be concerned about the plant getting scorched. I've seen this happen with many who plant the Dwarf Alberta Spruce.

Have you considered boxwood for year round green (no flowers) or holly?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:36 AM

46 posts, read 194,036 times
Thanks for the info. .As I said lifelongMOgal I want to plant in Round Shallow pots of big size and put them on pillars in front of the house. What do you guys think of everygreen Azelea?

Old 04-15-2010, 07:34 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolstar16 View Post
Thanks for the info. .As I said lifelongMOgal I want to plant in Round Shallow pots of big size and put them on pillars in front of the house. What do you guys think of everygreen Azelea?
Where are you and how much sun does this spot get?

Also, do you know how you are going to water these pots? Shrubs/plants in pots dry out much faster than ones in the ground.

I would not put an azalea in a planter in the sun in the south. Have you considered an ornamental grass? Japanese hollies could be a possibility, and there's an endless number of annuals to plant around the shrub you choose, but I would suggest also plantings something that spill out and down the column. Ivy and creeping jenny are good choices.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:21 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolstar16 View Post
Without knowing what zone you are in and the exposure/amount of sun it is impossible to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden