Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:58 AM

24,500 posts, read 23,220,278 times

Advertisements

Our neighbor planted a red oak about 10 years ago and its growing faster than I expected. I don't mind the acorns its dropping so much and it keeps its leaves in the winter and you have that rustle in the wind which is nice.
I think it depends on your house. I've seen silver maples that were beautfiul when old and added character to older 18th and 19th century homes. When they get topped they look bad like you said. Oak trees look great in more upscale larger homes. Sycamore trees have beautiful bark and contrast great near any water bodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 AM

53,545 posts, read 35,248,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Scarlet Oaks are nice, and should do well in the OP's area.
i like that suggestion. scarlet oaks are beautiful.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:37 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,873,847 times
You know, us Latino's like to BBQ goat at special occasions. A Tree Planting ceremony could fit that bill.

"One goat for one tree" sounds like a good compromise especially with a little salsa and limon on the side

Cabra asada es muy buen!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 09:48 AM

18,951 posts, read 43,882,158 times
Yup, and if they can't reach the leaves they'll just gnaw the bark off. Ask me how I know.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,482,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
You know, us Latino's like to BBQ goat at special occasions. A Tree Planting ceremony could fit that bill.

"One goat for one tree" sounds like a good compromise especially with a little salsa and limon on the side

Cabra asada es muy buen!!!
OMG que malo! Caribbean people like goat, too, but I personally think the meat is too "gamey." Aww goats are so ADORABLE! My uncle let me feed his baby goats when I was little, and I really have liked them since then.

For the OP, I only have 2 acres and I've already spent thousands of dollars on trees and plants. LOL so um I guess take your time. Lots of great suggestions from ppl.

It may be a little late to plant trees now. It's getting hotter, and you'll have to water deeply* at least once a week. The last couple of years when I planted new trees, I had a tough time carting all that water the same distance (about 60 yards).

I finally got a bunch of hoses, but I had to move them whenever I mowed the field. I actually did run over two hoses by accident. You may want to wait until September/October to plant the new trees. Watering may be a little easier without the heat of summer.

Along with the big tree that you get, I would definitely recommend a couple of smaller redbuds. You can get 3-4 footers for maybe $20 each. The flowers are bright pink in spring, and the young leaves look like red hearts! Plus it's native. The tree gets about 20 feet tall and likes full sun. I think they should have a better name though...the sweetheart tree.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:16 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,075,540 times
kinkytoes brings up a very good point when mentioning that redbuds are native. (Personally, for ornimental up close to the house I prefer dogwood for the longer lasting blooms and less mess from seed pods.)

Since you have so much acreage with which to work going forward from the replacement of the trees infront of your home, please consider the following:

choose plants native to your area rather than introducing exotic species
habitat creation
erosion control

Native Plants for Conservation, Restoration, and Landscaping

As for the goat(s), you should be able to contain him/them fairly easily with a ribbon style electic fence. Rotate the electric "paddock" the goat grazes in or set up temporary penning in the area you want him/them to mow undesirable forbes.

In the long run you may find it easier to control the goat(s) wherebouts than try to fence around each tree/shrub area you choose to plant. Of course, if you have a deer problem, you will have to protect the trees individually.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 AM

82 posts, read 331,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
The area is about 60 ft from the front of the house to the road and is to the west of the house. I am loosing my shade and need to figure out what to plant to replace these old guys who will be providing winter wood for the fireplace.

I'd like to go with a single tree with a spread of no more than 40 - 45 feet. Something deciduous to eventually provide some shade in summer but not block the sun in the winter.

Thanks for your suggestions.
My favorite tree expert to follow - M D Vaden: Arborist - lists two favorite trees in his advice articles. One topic is for evergreen and one for deciduous.

His favorite deciduous tree seems to fit your wants and needs.

Black Tupelo / Nyssa sylvatica

Says it compares to Sweet Gum for fall color, but compares to Beech for solid branch structure and nice form. It would give you the summer shade and winter sun.

Wiki also has a page with some basics wikipedia.org_ Black Tupelo

Old 04-29-2011, 11:40 AM

1,055 posts, read 1,881,974 times
Another thought: if you live in an area that has construction going on, housing or commercial development, check to see if they will allow you to go in and remove the trees or shrubbery that is going to be destroyed anyway. My brother and I (in Virginia) rescued hundreds of trees that way over time for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden