Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times

Advertisements

I have about a 20 foot buffer between my front porch and the edge of my front yard. On the other side of my front yard (between my front yard and the sidewalk) is a Sheward Oak....which I hear can get about 20 feet across in 15 years. This is a tree that the HOA has planted along the sidewalk in front of everyone's home.

I'd like to plant a single tree in my front yard, but what? The front yard gets the perfect amount of sunlight...the sun makes it's way around the house and hits the front at about 2:00 in the afternoon. It would be considered partial sun until that time and only in full sun at about 3:00 p.m. The plants in the front yard seem to love it. Since front yard is only 20 feet, I don't want a tree to "take over" my front yard eventually to the point we are sawing limbs that are trying to hit the house.

I thought about a redbud? We have one in the back that we planted last spring and loves the soil and is doing great. Or, maybe a cherry tree? I don't like bradford pear trees or crape myrtles (both are popular here). I think some people plant trees and don't think of how big the tree will get in 20 years in relation to the house...I don't want to be one of those people! I also don't want a really slow grower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 10:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
bradford pears are considered trash trees now. consider a grancy graybeard. medium sized, beautiful in spring. healthy. or purple leafed plum or smoke tree.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 AM

Thanks!

I looked up all three. I really liked the plum, but then I read that the life span is only 15 to 20 years. I really liked the smoke tree the more I looked into it. I don't think I've ever seen one. That's probably the one I will go with.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Do you want the tree for shade or as an ornamental tree? Japanese maple will look really nice. Dogwood will be good too. Both will not be too big.

Old 08-04-2010, 02:26 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
If you like purple leaved trees there is a purple version of redbud called Fores Pansy Redbud that is just gorgeous IMO.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:25 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Choosing a tree depends on the amount of sunlight it will actually get (as in number of hours- or if no direct sunshine- how much light gets filtered through). You'll also need to know moisture levels of the ground (dry, swampy or in between) and eventual size before it becomes a liability.

Your description of the amount of sunlight is confusing because it does not go with what conventional gardening terms for sun exposure. Full sun means complete or mostly in sunlight for all of the day. Partial sun refers to being in full or near full sun for a certain number of hours of the day. Shade will vary from deep, medium/partial or light depending on how little sunlight makes it through. Full sun for one hour in the afternoon is not full sun, but at best light shade. Your description sounds like it will get an hour or two of sun and the rest of the day be shaded by a house or by another tree.

To clarify: the area you will planting the tree gets how many hours, if any, of direct and full sun?

If you want a small tree that will not grow a tremendous amount and can handle more shade than not- one of several dogwoods will be an option. So would DubbleT's redbud. They are examples of understory trees (one that grows under other trees in limited sunshine). You can get an idea of what might work for you by looking at websites that feature shade plants or understory plants and trees. An example would be the following: Gardening in the Shade

When looking at any site to decide on a tree you will also need to know your hardiness zone (most likely 7) and possibly your heat zone (zone 7 or 8) (some trees and plants don't do well in hot summers) as well as the true number of hours of sun the tree will get.

An example of tree info would be for a Purple Plum tree as was recommended above. Newport Flowering Plum Tree note that it can handle dryness and any soil so no problem but it needs full sun.

The smoke tree you like is a native to the south and hardiness and heat zones are fine but it requires full sun (all day sun) if you look at the following:
Tree Details—The Tree Guide at arborday.org

Another place to get an idea of what might grow in partial shade try the following:
Growing Trees in Partial Shade

One last note: the plants that love the light level now are probably also part sun/shade to shade plants. Once the tree gets large enough it may further reduce the sunlight they get and they may not survive. It is something to consider if you want to keep them and they are not annuals.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM

I would say the front gets filtered sun throughout the day and full sun at 2:00 or 3:00 on. The bermuda grass seems to like the front yard, so it must not be too shady.

We have an american holly, boxwoods, gardenias,and glouster bushes that like our front yard.

I think I might go with a red bud then. The red bud that lives in the backyard gets full sun and likes it, and at our old house our red bud that was mainly shaded all day liked that spot too. I think red buds like either full sun or shaded from my experience.

When that sheward oak get big, I'm sure it will shade the front yard a bit...so I probably should choose something that can adapt to both.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:34 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
How about a smaller magnolia? I have 2 kinds in my yard, the scent is lovely.

Here's a link with some ideas Small Trees for North Carolina

Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Red Sunset Maple- you will not be disappointed. Grows to a medium height, but smaller circumference.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 PM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
You might want to consider a common witch hazel:

Tree Species found in Bowling Green - Tree Advisory Board - Bowling Green, KY - Official Municipal Web site

does not get too big.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden