Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 07:20 AM

136 posts, read 515,654 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am thinking of planting a tree in my front yard. I live in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia and would like to plant a tree in my bare front yard to add a little shade and beauty. I would like to plant crype myrtle. How large of a Crype Myrtle should I plant. Do these grow fairly quick? How much do they normally cost? Are there suggestions of any other kind of tree. I want one that will not grow to large like a maple or pine tree. I want a tree that will keep a smaller trunk and be easy to prune back so it doesn't get to large. Our front yard is not that big. Thanks for any advice in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 12:52 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
A crape myrtle sounds like a good choice. Just remember to prune it "tree-like," removing the lower branches, so it doesn't become a large bush. I planted a Basham's Party Pink crape myrtle in my backyard. I think it grows to 20 feet tall.

Bashams Party Pink(30ft fastest growing Crape ever, good shade)

We had more than our usual snow last year and it handled it well. I just made sure it was well mulched. Aside from digging a hole and planting it, LOL, I haven't done anything else to it and it's growing well -- just not as fast as the guides say. Guess I might want to fertilize it, huh?! LOL

Old 05-17-2008, 09:14 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
If it does well in your zone, I'm partial to the Natchez Crape Myrtle.

It's one of the bigger crape myrtles, but the exfoliating bark pattern is gorgeous and when they are in full bloom (white), it is a really spectacular looking tree.

I think they reach about 25 feet tall, but if you have the room, one of these in the center of a lawn could be a real focal point.

I'm not sure of price, maybe someone else will know. Look for fundraisers . I attended one in January (a local Greenscape fundraiser) and ended up with some great trees for $10 a piece (young saplings, of course, but I have patience ).

One last thing - I've read that the crapes with the Native American names, such as Natchez, are the ones with the best resistance to powdery mildew disease.

Old 05-17-2008, 11:23 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
I don't know if we're allowed to recommend stores but I'll try, LOL. I have had the best results with plants from the Kmart garden center. That's where I bought my crape myrtle. I've bought roses from a fancy garden center in town that died but the roses I've bought at Kmart (at a third of the price!) have thrived! I know other gardeners who say the same thing. They must have really good suppliers.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
The national arboretum has a fantastic site all about crape myrtles,
US National Arboretum Crapemyrtle Photo Gallery

This site includes photos and detailed information about of every kind of crape myrtle. The arboretum is in Washington DC, just on the border of where crape myrtles can grow. As a result they have done a lot of work breeding trees bred specifically to grow in areas that can get low temps in the winter (such as Virginia). The site has a lot of helpful suggestions for people wanting to plant these trees in the mid-Atlantic.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:46 AM

136 posts, read 515,654 times
Hello and thankyou everyone for all the great advice. I plan to plant a Crape Myrtle soon. Have a great day!

Old 05-22-2008, 08:19 AM

665 posts, read 1,925,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
A crape myrtle sounds like a good choice. Just remember to prune it "tree-like," removing the lower branches, so it doesn't become a large bush. I planted a Basham's Party Pink crape myrtle in my backyard. I think it grows to 20 feet tall.

Bashams Party Pink(30ft fastest growing Crape ever, good shade)

We had more than our usual snow last year and it handled it well. I just made sure it was well mulched. Aside from digging a hole and planting it, LOL, I haven't done anything else to it and it's growing well -- just not as fast as the guides say. Guess I might want to fertilize it, huh?! LOL
Do you have to prune the crape myrtle? Is there something wrong with leaving it as a large bush? I planted one and would prefer it as a bush, is that ok for the tree?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,849 times
I have a few crape myrtles in my yard, but there is one color - fuschia that is my favorite and like to multiply or spread out. Can I graft crape myrtle? If not how do you re- plant them?
thanks

Old 08-04-2010, 08:50 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri Encarnacion View Post
I have a few crape myrtles in my yard, but there is one color - fuschia that is my favorite and like to multiply or spread out. Can I graft crape myrtle? If not how do you re- plant them?
thanks
Take some 6" cuttings around January or February, stick them in some moist potting soil in a pot leaving about 1" exposed, keep them cold (but not frozen) and they will leaf out next spring. Keep them somewhat shaded for the first few months after leafing out.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:45 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Take some 6" cuttings around January or February, stick them in some moist potting soil in a pot leaving about 1" exposed, keep them cold (but not frozen) and they will leaf out next spring. Keep them somewhat shaded for the first few months after leafing out.
I bought one online last year, it came as bare-root stock. Well, the "stick" did not survive well but it shoots new leaves from the root. It's about 12 inches tall now. I have it in the pot and plan to put it in the ground in the fall so it can establish roots over winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden