Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick
 [Register]
Frederick Frederick County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,508 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving in to the area and found the Boxwood Lodge to be really intriguing. There is a lot of fun historical information online. One example: https://mht.maryland.gov/secure/medu...ick/F-7-60.pdf

We're curious if anyone is familiar and has some local information that can't be found online?

We're aware the house needs major work and the historic designation makes it more complicated. We want to bring life back to the property in a tasteful way. I'd love to understand the process of working with the county of Frederick and the historical component. What can and can't we do?

This would be a big undertaking so we're trying to apply any reality filters we can and would appreciate any local feedback and insights.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 03:19 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Are you connected with the property or just curious?

Historic designation can be both good and bad. I don't think it is a recognized Historic District (Like Downtown Frederick) so I don't think you are compelled to do anything. There may be tax credits available to assist in rehabilitation

Old 11-26-2019, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,508 times
Thanks for the reply, we're interested in purchasing the property. It has so much history I was curious if there was any local lore, good or bad, to share that could help our decision. It's such a beautiful house with so much potential and we love the idea of restoring it. We just want to make sure it's a good decision and thought people in the community may know some more about it.

Old 11-26-2019, 09:07 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,095,402 times
Well the Maryland Real property Records show the main house as built in 1900. That may or may not be accurate but I have found the records to be pretty good. https://sdat.dat.maryland.gov/RealPr...s/default.aspx

The property records wouldn't give me a link to the individual record but it is only two easy steps from this page.

You might check with the Frederick County Historical Society. I'll let you know if I think of other resources.

Is the house livable now?

Old 11-27-2019, 07:21 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,640,301 times
I don’t know anything about this specific house but I do have an acquaintance who owns a house (wife’s family home IIRC) that is on the National Historic Registry. He has told me about the incredible effort they have had to put into repairs to make sure they comply with the registry’s requirements for period authenticity. Door hinges made a certain way, craftsmen skilled in certain types of plaster work, etc. it is expensive and a time consuming. Be sure you know what you’re getting into.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Frederick