Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2016, 01:21 AM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomcome1 View Post
Any plans on keeping the Drive In? I see LA Grave Field, just no Drive In....
Coyote Drive-In was intended to be a temporary project that added income to that area. However, it could stay.

Now, I have some pretty BIG news coming a little later, so stay tuned...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 01:01 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Coyote Drive-In was intended to be a temporary project that added income to that area. However, it could stay.

Now, I have some pretty BIG news coming a little later, so stay tuned...
I know what it is. I did some digging but I will let you break the news.

Old 03-19-2016, 02:11 PM

Default Near Southside Projects

So, a video of "What's Next" for the Near Southside was released, and man, it's got some heavy hitters and PLENTY of new info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOEbGmlGiSE

A few of these, you already know, but here's the spotlight on some of what you're seeing:

New rendering of the Oleander Apartments, construction should begin soon.

Rebuilding the half-finished Moncrief Medical Center. I personally liked the older design they were originally going with, but nothing wrong with architectural diversity.

East of I-35, two new projects to shape up a part of this neighborhood that hasn't had the same kind of success everything on the west side of the highway has seen. Kemp & Sons, a commercial cleaning service, is building their new headquarters with an events center and townhomes attached.

And just to the south, a new Van-Zandt Guinn Elementary School with modern design.

Seeing how Magnolia Ave. has become the premier street in the neighborhood, you'll be seeing even larger projects for it. This is one of them... A multi-family project from Hudgins across the street from the Moncrief Cancer Institute on Magnolia & May that's currently in conception phase

And the big one... a Transit Oriented Development (I believe the first REAL T.O.D. in the city), this was announced about 2 years ago. On the current site of The T's Vickery & Main St. parking lot, used for the T&P/TRE station, a new mixed-use building from the FWHA that could feature a hotel would be one of, if not, the tallest building in the neighborhood. A few more of these along 30 and we could see an urban canyon.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
So, a video of "What's Next" for the Near Southside was released, and man, it's got some heavy hitters and PLENTY of new info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOEbGmlGiSE

A few of these, you already know, but here's the spotlight on some of what you're seeing:

New rendering of the Oleander Apartments, construction should begin soon.

Rebuilding the half-finished Moncrief Medical Center. I personally liked the older design they were originally going with, but nothing wrong with architectural diversity.

East of I-35, two new projects to shape up a part of this neighborhood that hasn't had the same kind of success everything on the west side of the highway has seen. Kemp & Sons, a commercial cleaning service, is building their new headquarters with an events center and townhomes attached.

And just to the south, a new Van-Zandt Guinn Elementary School with modern design.

Seeing how Magnolia Ave. has become the premier street in the neighborhood, you'll be seeing even larger projects for it. This is one of them... A multi-family project from Hudgins across the street from the Moncrief Cancer Institute on Magnolia & May that's currently in conception phase

And the big one... a Transit Oriented Development (I believe the first REAL T.O.D. in the city), this was announced about 2 years ago. On the current site of The T's Vickery & Main St. parking lot, used for the T&P/TRE station, a new mixed-use building from the FWHA that could feature a hotel would be one of, if not, the tallest building in the neighborhood. A few more of these along 30 and we could see an urban canyon.
Yes, that Vickery and Main Street project is massive. It's going to be really nice driving on I 30 looking at massive buildings on both sides within the next couple of years. Also, judging from the sketch the plan appears to have vertical growth lined up along I30.

Old 03-19-2016, 10:40 PM

JJG do you expect Near Southside growth to spill over across the freeway to the southside?

Old 03-20-2016, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
JJG do you expect Near Southside growth to spill over across the freeway to the southside?
You mean to the east of I-35?

I do, seeing how it's also labeled as Near Southside (although I personally believe it should be seen as the east, but development is development)

Old 03-20-2016, 01:19 AM

Quote:
You mean to the east of I-35?

I do, seeing how it's also labeled as Near Southside (although I personally believe it should be seen as the east, but development is development)
I have always called that area directly south of downtown the hospital district and the area directly to the east the southside. I never lumped the two together. I will say that I am happy the two are being lumped together because the communities on the Eastside of I35 are often neglected by the city. I think near southside east of I 35 would be a prime area for mixuse development. I would like to see that area become a major employer district.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:27 AM

Quote:
I have always called that area directly south of downtown the hospital district and the area directly to the east the southside. I never lumped the two together. I will say that I am happy the two are being lumped together because the communities on the Eastside of I35 are often neglected by the city. I think near southside east of I 35 would be a prime area for mixuse development. I would like to see that area become a major employer district.
Well it is part of the Urban Village program. There are some renderings here that show what the area is supposed to be.

From what I see, I think they're trying to promote a black neighborhood.

Evans & Rosedale Urban Village: Conceptual / Guidelines
Evans & Rosedal and the Power of Place: Welcome to African Americana

Old 03-21-2016, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Well it is part of the Urban Village program. There are some renderings here that show what the area is supposed to be.

From what I see, I think they're trying to promote a black neighborhood.

Evans & Rosedale Urban Village: Conceptual / Guidelines
Evans & Rosedal and the Power of Place: Welcome to African Americana
That makes sense considering that was like the black Wall Street of Fort Worth at one time. If it's done right it could be Fort Worth version of Harlem.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
That makes sense considering that was like the black Wall Street of Fort Worth at one time. If it's done right it could be Fort Worth version of Harlem.
"IF" being the key word there. Things could change.

Also, those renderings in the PDFs are from 2009 and obviously, it's not gonna look exactly like what you see there. I mean, there's a 7-Eleven and Jack in the Box where monument looking thing is. Not that I have anything against them being there, they are helpful after getting off work or going to work (gas and quick, cheap food), but it would have been interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth