Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 07:05 PM

52 posts, read 139,360 times

Advertisements

Dallasparker~ the area of NC you are moving to sounds really nice. I've been to Winston Salem and Charlotte-very pretty country. Jacksonville, NC is not so great, but the beaches and some towns nearby are nice. I do like the smaller town feel though.

I really don't want an extra picky HOA. I do like houses kept fairly neat, but sometimes it just seems like people with nothing better to do than to be stressed about a parked car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 07:33 PM

72 posts, read 185,007 times
You will have to be sure to mention HOA rules to your realtor. They can get out of control. One neighborhood in FM was just on the news because a lady had a boot put on her tire for parking less than an inch of her tire on her own grass in her own driveway!! The HOA is hard up for money because so many people are not paying. Older established neighborhoods might work better.

Old 05-30-2009, 05:23 PM

6 posts, read 12,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreemcatcher View Post
Thanks, Kitty. I was in an HOA here in NC, but they weren't that particular. I guess I am wondering if it is really restrictive to have an HOA.

The neighborhood sounds wonderful. I love having a pool, but didn't really want to deal with the Yard pool.
HOA is a "love, hate" thing for me. I hate the yard narcs...yet, I love that the neighborhood, even tho 20 years old, looks very nice. It really is not that restrictive... I love that there are no purple houses or junked cars in the yard. That happens a lot in other areas that have no HOA. I love having clean pools that I can go to (not that I have time!!) and I like knowing that there is enough 'community' that I could go to anyone's house and beat on their door if I needed help.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:25 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,285,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreemcatcher View Post
Thanks, Kitty. I was in an HOA here in NC, but they weren't that particular. I guess I am wondering if it is really restrictive to have an HOA.

The neighborhood sounds wonderful. I love having a pool, but didn't really want to deal with the Yard pool.
if you like pools, check out Paseo near Daniels and the 75.

Paseo Ft. Myers

and there are the quad block pools as well, great for meeting the neighbours

Last edited by Viralmd; 05-31-2009 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: No links to specific realtors permitted.

Old 05-31-2009, 06:53 AM

52 posts, read 139,360 times
Thanks everyone for the info. I am looking to purchase a home for under $145K if possible. Not sure if Paseo fits into that as the link seems to show homes higher. However, I know with the market, prices on the website may be higher than they can actually get. I am looking into Sandoval and Laguna Lakes.

There are definite pluses to both types of living it seems. I do like the idea of having neighbors close as I will be living alone for the first time in my life. I do plan to have visitors though and I don't want to have rules about that or pay really high monthly fees.

If you get a townhome in a nice area, are the resale values pretty good as with a home?

Old 06-17-2009, 09:51 PM

46 posts, read 131,786 times
Check out FrontDoor.com it also shows locations of grocery stores gast stations etc etc. Kind of tells about what different areas have to offer. Plus huge listings of homes, condo's etc. Also have you ever considered renting with a 9 month lease at least?? Then you could get used to the area and see for yourself which area of Ft Myers you liked best???? Just an idea. Plus it would give you something fun to do on the weekends by going to alot of open houses and just checking out different areas. Best of Luck!!!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 803 times
I've lived in Brookshire since it was first built. Good safe neighborhood. Great amenities without the hassle of caring for them yourself. Yes, the 'Brookshire Police' do monitor, but while it's annoying sometimes, I appreciate that it helps maintain our property values. Reminding people to maintain their lawns, replace burnt out mailbox lights, and paint when needed keeps the neighborhood desirable. Until the recent downturn when some people lost their homes, Brookshire has looked better each year.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:34 PM

515 posts, read 1,591,086 times
The HOA's are there to protect your investment. Just watch out for the newer communities super high HOA fee's. Some communities have HOA fee's and Master Ass'n fee's. Be sure to ask about both. When you go to look at a house in a HOA community ask to see their deed restrictions. Some realtors don't even know, or just play stupid and might say there are none. I've seen it done. Once your in your new house you have no recourse with the realtor who sold it to you.
The best thing to do is talk to a few people who live there, get their feelings and opinions on the neighborhood. Don't get caught up in the hype of " it's our new house", look at the surrounding houses and cars. Visit the street on the weekend, checkout the pool, clubhouse, etc.........
At settlement you will be given a piece of paper to sign saying that you know there are deed restrictions and you will live by them. This is a requirement of the realtors, it's included in the settlement papers. They will not have a copy of the restrictions for you though. You have to get them and read them on your own. Which most people do not, and then when it comes time that they get a notice for a violation they say they never knew about the restrictions.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:32 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,285,205 times
never ever buy in a neighbourhood without having lived there for a few months first

if you would be wiped out by your HOA getting into serious trouble, which happens....just rent, and stash your cash in government guaranteed CDs.

these days you can often rent for the cost of taxes and HOA...especially in the off season

that's the only way to do Florida worry free
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area