Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area
 [Register]
Fort Myers - Cape Coral area Lee County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 10:23 AM

357 posts, read 783,384 times

Advertisements

Well I get that forums tend to bring in more depressed / unhappy individuals b/c most of the happy people are off being happy somewhere

From what I've seen here is that people abosolutely hate fort myers. So I figure I would try to get people to talk about the good things they like about this area. Please no negative thoughts!

Well for me, I like the fact that I can go fishing with my buddies whenever I want (no matter what time of year). I enjoy hangin out at the beach or at some of the local bars drinking and having a good time. I like the sunsets on the beach, trying out new resturants with family, and the diversity of the people here.

So what do you like about the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 12:22 PM

19 posts, read 42,011 times
I love this area! Came here in 1986 and moved away for college and lived in San Diego for 3 years, San Antonio for 1 year. I love the weather and climate. Love the beaches and access to water everywhere. So many places to eat out and shop. And it's cheap to live here compared to just about any other place I've been to.

I don't like the traffic and how much more crowded it is compared to the 80's or even 90's but I know why they move here.

And talk about cheap real estate! In the process of buying my first house. You get alot for your money.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:08 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,614 times
I know people complain about traffic but I love the way the roads are laid out down here.The lights seem to be synchronized....I have driven the entire length of Palm beach Blvd and Del Prado on the Cape without even catching a light....cool. Also,there is turn around lane every 300yds ,or so.....if you miss a turn,just make a U turn.
I like the network of back roads and side streets that are all connected and let you navigate around busy intersections of drive from store to store without entering the main road and ,since most of the roads are laid out in a grid,it's pretty hard to get lost.
Up north,if you miss a turn....good luck.You may have to drive several miles to turn around or be forced to enter another busy highway.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 PM

1,210 posts, read 3,283,332 times
S Florida only US spot for beach/pool weather, most of the time, Dec-Feb

prefer rivers, flatwater, and gulf water to east coast ocean water

lots of slough and everglade-like boardwalk parks close by - nature

Marco Island up to Gasparilla is one playground

Miromar Shopping

see Fun Things to Do Sticky!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:44 PM

48 posts, read 82,771 times
The flora and fauna! I love those little Anole lizards. I had one as a pet when I was a kid and I'm delighted to see them everywhere. I love the tropical plants, swimming in the ocean, ahhh, so wonderful!

Seeing the crazy variety of birds... seagulls, pelicans, egrets, ibises(one was strutting around in the Publix parking lot after a rainstorm), cormorants, vultures.

I also like the streets layout like another poster mentioned.

We can't wait until we move to the area full time next June!

Old 11-23-2010, 03:01 PM

325 posts, read 1,020,220 times
I love the sunshine and warm weather and being able to swim in November. I love watching the wildlife. I got to see my second bob cat Sunday. I love the lush greenery and beautiful communities. The people are friendly and it is nice to meet so many midwesterners where we are from. The shopping is awesome too. I feel very blessed to be here.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:39 PM

515 posts, read 1,590,141 times
The traffic sucks here for what 4-5 months, it's year round up north. And our weather is paradise! No snow! Look at all the floodingmud slides, fires and ice storms and tornado's that pop up in a moments notice, IF we have a hurricane coming our way, we get 4 to 7 days notice. Whats it been, 5 years now since anything threatning came our way? The sun, the beach, everyone seems happier here. Until a snowbird cuts us off, but that's only for a moment. We enjoy the outdoors 12 months a year. Ok, ya gotta cut the grass but there's no leaf raking or snow shoveling. Not many if any rusty cars running around. It a better place to exist!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 PM

616 posts, read 1,564,182 times
Everything.

This is my first time living away from most (pretty much all) my friends and family. My neighbors are great. I enjoy our neighborhood. Close, yet far enough away from "city" life. Most people complain about the traffic, but I've yet been too p'd about it. Yes, there's the occasional slow person or someone who knows that they need to turn left will cut into the line at the last possible minute to get one up, but that's the same up north.

There's a lot more mom and pop restaurants vs chains - at least that I've noticed and tend not to be in the major "city" like areas where the chains tend to reside.

I tend to eat a lot less and more healthful than up north. Partly due to the heat at times and also the availability of fresh foods from the farmer's markets. I'm not tempted to eat chicken and dumplings, stews, and very heavy foods like up north to keep warm.

All in all... I'm glad I moved to Cape Coral.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:17 PM

262 posts, read 937,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahltkd View Post
Everything.

This is my first time living away from most (pretty much all) my friends and family. My neighbors are great. I enjoy our neighborhood. Close, yet far enough away from "city" life. Most people complain about the traffic, but I've yet been too p'd about it....
Yep, and if you all want to see bad traffic, just come to St. Pete. Not nearly as heavy as it used to be but waaaay more hostile.

Back OT, I haven't lived in Ft. Myers, just visited for plant shows and so forth. I found the streets were well laid out. And you seem to have a lot of "elbow room," which we in Pinellas do not have.

My observations while visiting were - oh lord, the birds! Many of the same as we have here - pelicans, egrets, ibises, anhinga, roseates, parrots - just more of them! And you can get away with planting more true tropicals than we can (depending on what part of St. Pete you're in - our downtown is like Miami). And Ft. Myers does seem a bit friendlier, dunno...

Now, my questions: is anyone familiar with Matlacha - isn't that in Lee County? I only drove through once and it seemed intriguing. Also - is the Shell Shop still around? We used to go there from time to time - it's a great place to shop.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 PM

36 posts, read 86,886 times
I like the great parks, and things to do along with the generally nice wenter weather the people seem friendly and lower cost of living. No place is perfect but this area has a lot going for it, I am hopeful the job situation improves but the area must not rely on construction and leverage a balanced industry jmho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Myers - Cape Coral area