Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 05:12 AM

1 posts, read 6,960 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family is currently discussing the possibility of making a move to CO, and have fallen in love with Fort Collins, but really want to live within a 15-min drive of cross-country skiing. Can anyone tell me anything about the cross-country skiing situation in the area? I especially love to skate ski. Or, if anyone happens to know of a nearby community with a decent cost of living and XCS trails, that would be helpful too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 06:19 AM

718 posts, read 1,985,094 times
Seldom do we have storms that produce sufficient snow for this, but depending on the year, we get a few days a winter during which XC skiing is possible in the city. Even when we do get enough, it often melts away within a few days.

For cross training, a local cycling group has a small groomer and can lay down a skate track in a local park on those days with enough snow. Two winters ago, they had enough snow that they were able to use it pretty regularly, but last winter I don't believe it left the garage in which it was stored.

Closest consistent XC skiing is is about 45-60 minutes away at Beaver Meadows near Red Feather Lakes, or near Cameron Pass to the west up the Poudre Canyon. There is also some great XC skiing just outside Laramie, WY at Pole Mountain, but that is closer to 75-90 minutes from here.

If Wyoming would fit your plans, Laramie is close to XC skiing. Laramie sits at about 7300' and the Pole Mountain XC ski area tops out near 9000'. If you must be in Colorado, you will probably need to be into the mountains and living at a higher elevation than most of the Front Range cities and towns to be that close to XC skiing. Most of the cities along the Front Range are between 4500' (Fort Collins) and 6000' (Colorado Springs).

Old 10-30-2012, 08:23 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,561,885 times
The 09-10' winter had a pretty good base for a long time. There were consistent ski tracks for a good while up around the trails of Pine Ridge. Just completely depends on the winter. the 06-07' winter had a huge base of snow for a number of months, and I imagine you could have skied for much of the season in town.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:01 AM

12 posts, read 49,069 times
FC is actually at 5000 ft

Old 11-02-2012, 11:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
a nearby community with a decent cost of living and XCS trails
Woods Landing, WY

Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 PM

76 posts, read 154,124 times
Eldora has a x-cntry trail system but it costs. I agree with Mike though not much opportunity to do this in town. I wouldn't come here thinking you are going to ski to work

Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 AM

75 posts, read 111,515 times
I have heard that March can be the month you all get the brunt of your snow. Will be there then and wondering if we can get a few comments on this? I have seen that FC doesn't get too much in the way of sticking power when it comes to snow but it looks like this would not be the best winter to judge by? I cannot wait to be there! Additionally, can anyone talk about the tire chain laws and when exactly they are required to be in your vehicle? Is there a specific time of year and/or area this is in force?i heard a $1000 fine can be given if caught without them.

I will have to cross the mountain ranges past Reno and around Park City to get there.... I am quite certain I will encounter some snow in March... But I am thinking by the time I get closer to Cheyenne and drop down that may not be an issue. Still chilly in March? Wondering how to pack. I plan on bringing my sunglasses and can't wait to need them!

Old 02-20-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommalot View Post
I have heard that March can be the month you all get the brunt of your snow. Will be there then and wondering if we can get a few comments on this? I have seen that FC doesn't get too much in the way of sticking power when it comes to snow but it looks like this would not be the best winter to judge by? I cannot wait to be there! Additionally, can anyone talk about the tire chain laws and when exactly they are required to be in your vehicle? Is there a specific time of year and/or area this is in force?i heard a $1000 fine can be given if caught without them.

I will have to cross the mountain ranges past Reno and around Park City to get there.... I am quite certain I will encounter some snow in March... But I am thinking by the time I get closer to Cheyenne and drop down that may not be an issue. Still chilly in March? Wondering how to pack. I plan on bringing my sunglasses and can't wait to need them!
More often than not, the chain restrictions in our mountains pertain to commercial vehicles and multi-axle vehicles. I have not owned chains for any of our vehicles since the early 90's. You will likely run into chain restrictions on I-80 between Sacramento and Reno if the weather is stormy. I have encountered chain restrictions there and they are serious about enforcement. The section of I-80 between SLC and Park City may also be treacherous, and you are not out of the woods when you hit Wyoming. I have been in white-outs on Elk Mountain and the divide between Laramie and Cheyenne.

That time of year, you could encounter anything from beautiful and sunny, 60-70 degree days or blizzards just about anywhere between the California / Nevada border and Fort Collins. Back in March of '03, our kids got an additional 3 days of spring break because of a 3' snow storm that shut everything down. In recent years we have not had snow storms that big, but there has been some snow. Often these snow storms are immediately preceded and followed by warm sunny days.

When packing for March in Colorado bring sunglasses, parka, shorts, snow boots, swimsuit, stocking cap, tank tops, mittens, sandals, etc.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM

For road info and streaming cameras showing current road conditions toward this end of your trip, visit these websites:

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

WYDOT Travel Information Service (Cheyenne)

Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM

75 posts, read 111,515 times
Thanks again Mr. weber! Always helpful! Sounds like I need to pack like I do daily for here in N. Cal..... A little bit of everything. Yuck for packing. Would you think April to be similar? We will be pulling an RV with us and have tried to push the trip back to avoid some of the snow. (Though I am not sure I can stand to postpone yet again!) appreciate the input!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area