Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:33 PM

305 posts, read 770,602 times

Advertisements

Our family visited FC a few days ago to check it out for a potential move and loved the city. I am ready to start packing! We thought the neighborhoods were attractive, the downtown charming, and the natural surroundings gorgeous. We are tired of the Denver area rat race and are looking for our dream town. FC seems to fit the bill.

I'm probably being waaaaaay overly idealistic, so please, knock me back into reality. What is wrong with Fort Collins? Someone just posted about the MMJ culture--are there too many potheads in the city, or what? And not that it matters, as I'm sure they are far too contented to give anyone any trouble. I'm just joking here, but seriously, what are some of the drawbacks of living in FC?

Any insight into your charming town and all its idiosyncracies would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, we are a forty something family with a teenager and two elementary-aged kids. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 10:15 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,564,085 times
I'd say job market is one of the worst things about the city. Limited jobs and very competitive applicant pools. If you have jobs lined up though, it really is a GREAT place to live.

It's a bit far from Denver, and a bit far from Skiing.

I think the "3-unrelated" renting rule is completely ridiculous (and discriminatory).

Old 08-14-2011, 10:35 AM

166 posts, read 432,985 times
Scarce good jobs would be the only negative for us since moving here 9 months ago. My job is here in FC and very convenient but my husband is still looking for something local. Do NOT want to commute to Denver, so he will likely do something part time, outside his field to stay here in FC area. Its worth it to us to save the gas/time/stress of the long commute. quality of life here is worth the financial sacrifice for us.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 PM

46 posts, read 126,071 times
Here's my 2 cents from 13 yrs of Fort Collins.

The good: Pretty average people. Mostly good neighborhoods. Good mountain views. Maximum 30 minute travel times. Great weather from mid May to mid September.

The bad: Not too many surrounding areas that are worth going to. Can get REAL cold in the winter ( I don't care if is a dry cold, 10 below is cold!). Takes a while to get people to "get real" (friendly but distanced.)
Wind! Can be a bit isolated ( nothing to the east, north).

Your post mentions kids. You will find it a great place! As for adult activities, you really need to be into the mountains, bicycling or similar.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:06 PM

97 posts, read 265,202 times
I have not seen one pot head so not sure where that is coming from. I think everyone comes on these boards trying to knock it down, but really it is a nice city and a great place to raise kids, of course there will be things you do not like but that is true of everywhere.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:39 PM

46 posts, read 126,071 times
I'll add that, while we do have a very open pot policy here, you are not very aware of it's presence. Rarely will you see anyone who appears to be drugged in Fort Collins.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 AM

305 posts, read 770,602 times
Thank you so much everyone! So far, I have not heard anything to burst my bubble or dissuade me from moving to FC. It seems like the kind of town I have been looking for. Will keep you all posted on our plans! : )

Old 08-22-2011, 08:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,748 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
What are some of the negatives about living in FC?
Traffic lights and the risk of being rear-ended by a cell phone talking (distracted) soccer mom driving an SUV

BTW, I don't do traffic lights. FC has always been bad for getting across town in a few minutes (since the 1960's at least). Fortunately, FC has the 'blinking' traffic lights during the hours I drive through. (middle of night). I could never make it across town during rush hour without going postal.

I was in FC last weekend, and the police presence was adequate. (of course you have the largest police department / facility I've ever seen in similar sized cities. (that can be good if you are not a taxpayer)

Old 08-22-2011, 08:11 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Traffic lights and the risk of being rear-ended by a cell phone talking (distracted) soccer mom driving an SUV

BTW, I don't do traffic lights. FC has always been bad for getting across town in a few minutes (since the 1960's at least). Fortunately, FC has the 'blinking' traffic lights during the hours I drive through. (middle of night). I could never make it across town during rush hour without going postal.

I was in FC last weekend, and the police presence was adequate. (of course you have the largest police department / facility I've ever seen in similar sized cities. (that can be good if you are not a taxpayer)
You'd think with all those police they could put a stop to the driving on the phone. Or is it not yet illegal there?

Old 08-23-2011, 08:43 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,564,085 times
Not illegal. They tried a year or two ago, but had to water down the bill to outlawing texting only. Pretty weak in my opinion. ALthough it's not like outlawing it has really done much for Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Fort Collins area