Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:00 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,910,268 times

Advertisements

The flooded car registery.....
National Insurance Crime Bureau Creates Katrina Flood Car Registry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 01:39 PM

4 posts, read 14,110 times
Unhappy Still sick to my stomach and worried about this car.

Well I am back home from having a fun July 4th weekend. I am planning on taking the car to have it checked out by a professional Monday. I have started checking it a lot more closer myself. I got on the floor and looked up under the dash. It has rust under it on the metal parts. The wiring all looks new everywhere. The glove box looks new too. Not sure if it is but it is attached to rusted metal piece and it isn't rusted itself. The original manuals, original car sticker from the window and a cd about the car from Ford is in the glove box and it isn't damaged from water. hmmm I noticed the carpet in the trunk really looks new and you can't pull it up because of glue. I did get a small part up and there is dirt under it, not a ton. I don't see water lines anywhere in there. Not sure why someone attached it with so much glue. It will make it hard to get to the spare tire if it's in there. The car sticker I found reveals what was in the car when purchased new and it still has the original cd player. I have no experience with convertibles. If someone leaves the top down a lot during rain would it rust under the dash and under the seats? I am just trying to prepare my case when I take it back to the dealer. I know that will be brought up by them. I made a mistake when talking to you all about the owners too. It was owned by 1 person from 02(new) to Feb. 2008 in a suburb to Biloxi, MS. A new person bought it from Feb. 08 -April 08. Then it was purchased at an auction by the car dealer I got it from and supposedly detailed. So someone only had it 2 months. I would love to talk to these two people. I did search around the car trying to find out any info. on these two people, but didn't find anything. They both lived in Mississippi though. I can probably get my insurance company to find out, maybe. ha I read the articles and printed them for my next car shopping trip. They were very informative. I feel for anyone else that has to deal with this. I just hope this doesn't hurt my credit score if I have to give them the keys and walk away. I worked so hard to get my credit where it is at. Thanks again for all your help! I have learned a lesson.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:57 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,964,502 times
DO NOT GIVE THE KEYS and WALK AWAY. It would hurt your CREDIT. Tell them about your fears on the water damage/sand etc and obvious coverup. Offer to return the car in exchange for an other vehilcle in the same price range you originally paid. (no cash difference). If they are a honest dealer then a deal/exchange will be made. If not, my original post on PICKETING will due the job. They cannot afford the BAD publicity of you walking with a sign out front and maybe with the kids in tow. I sold NEW and USED cars decades ago and know the car business real well. Should work for you. Let us know. Steve

Old 07-06-2008, 02:15 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,964,502 times
Just a follow up. If they do not trade with you on another vehicle, see how fast they will come out to the sidewalk when you are picketing with your kids in tow before the TV crew shows up. The publicity would KILL them. I picketed a Large Auto Parts chain store and received satisfaction in 45 minutes. During that time horns honked and people did take notice. I feel for you and want the best solution available. Again, let us know. Maybe I can send them a FAX or E-Mail on your behalf. We in C-D want to help. Steve

Old 07-06-2008, 02:58 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,756,089 times
OUCH, suzannecb . . . Biloxi, Mississippi?

That fact alone would make me cringe BIG TIME.

As for rust up under the dash . . . even if frequently abused with "top down rain" I doubt seriously if you would see an abundance of rust up there.

Buying a Used Vehicle always tends to be a little risky but I believe an honest dealer should have revealed major water damage. By the way, have you considered running a CARFAX Report (not 100% but definitely helpful)? Possibly someone on here or your insurance agent may have unlimited subscription to save you a few bucks?

Once again, GOOD LUCK!

Old 07-06-2008, 03:18 PM

681 posts, read 2,916,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannecb View Post
It was owned by 1 person from 02(new) to Feb. 2008 in a suburb to Biloxi, MS.
One brief comment, then I'm done. When I lived in Biloxi you could drive along the coast in an open top car several months a year and the humidity would be so high the windshield wipers would need to be used part of the time. Under a cloudless sky. No kidding. Lots of humidity there so some of what you see could just be normal "Biloxi" weathering for a convertible that was used with the top down and near the beach. That might also explain the sand on the seats bit. Just thought you should know.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,756,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
One brief comment, then I'm done. When I lived in Biloxi you could drive along the coast in an open top car several months a year and the humidity would be so high the windshield wipers would need to be used part of the time. Under a cloudless sky. No kidding. Lots of humidity there so some of what you see could just be normal "Biloxi" weathering for a convertible that was used with the top down and near the beach. That might also explain the sand on the seats bit. Just thought you should know.
Great point, Franklyn . . . Biloxi definitely has LOTS of humidity.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:13 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,499,817 times
Suzanne, if you get the car checked out and by chance it has been in a flood Texas has a Lemon Law on vehicles. If it is a flood vehicle you shouldn't have a problem getting the dealer to work with you on this.

Texas Auto & Consumer Fraud

http://aolsearch.aol.com/aol/search?encquery=bd86af798662566c3e5dee470b10fe2b7a 48c8a7bc00033f85641378462dcbca1262487e3b2ba032f769 7cb94ab24300de154e52a9409ea7&invocationType=keywor d_rollover&ie=UTF-8 (broken link)

Old 07-06-2008, 10:10 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,910,268 times
I think you worry too much. If the dealer even suspect he may have sold you a flood car, he will be begging to get it back. He doesn't need the problems that come with selling such a car. Call the salesman in the morning and I'm betting they will be happy to check it out and remedy the situation if it is a flood car.
Most states have heavy penalties for selling a defective car. No dealer who plans to stay in business and out of jail, will gladly work with you.....
Check with your local DMV if you have a problem, they have investigators who would gladly check it out and bury any dealer suspected of fraud. Give the dealer a chance first. I'm not saying dealers are all honest, but none want to be touched by the possibility of dealing in flood cars.

Old 07-07-2008, 12:56 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,556,662 times
Avoid picketing or any other form of slander the front of any place of business, good way to get a night in jail and a possible lawsuit slapped on ya, better ways to deal with things than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln