Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:39 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times

Advertisements

Motor Trend reports Mustang will be offered with a direct injection turbo four cylinder with a little more than 250 HP. What do you think? They said the 5.0 will remain in the car's engine choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 08:47 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
As long as it's got a turbo, I think it's acceptable, and it'll not doubt be able to compete with imported 4cyl turbos and take advantage of the wonderful world of turbo tuning. No repeats of the Fox body NA 4cyl, please... *shivers*

Old 09-03-2011, 09:44 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
It won't have that awesome sound of the 5.0, that's for sure. I'm a Chevy guy, and even I love the sound of a Ford V8 with a good exhaust.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:46 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
They've had turbo 4 mustangs before.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 PM

Another reason for the turbo four is this coming Mustang will be marketed internationally with independent rear suspension.

I remember the SVO Mustang with the turbo. It wasn't bad but it was a little slower than the 5.0 while being as much or more expensive than the 5.0

Old 09-03-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Another reason for the turbo four is this coming Mustang will be marketed internationally with independent rear suspension.

I remember the SVO Mustang with the turbo. It wasn't bad but it was a little slower than the 5.0 while being as much or more expensive than the 5.0
Yeah, but at the time, it used what was fairly-new technology in consumer autos, and was marketed as such. Turbos are super commonplace in European and Japanese cars and have been for the last 2+ decades as a way to get respectable performance in areas where larger displacement engines will cost you more in taxes (not that anyone here necessarily needed to be told that... just for brevity's sake ).

Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
Unfortunately it seems more of a move to comply with upcoming CAFE standards rather then consumer demand. I think few drivers of Mustangs want them to be less powerful. Not a good thing, I think we are entering another period of disappointing downsized engines again. The feds have learned nothing about the last time in the 1970's and the destruction it caused to the big three. It has become infamous for its neutered and lousy cars.

You can see it in many vehicles, the Explorer has a V6 instead of a V8. The upcoming Chevy Malibu will not offer a V6. Ford is pushing V6's in F150 knowing that V8's are going to get rarer. I think the auto industry isn't out of the woods yet as the new regulations are really getting piled up lately. Crash regs add a lot to the weight of new cars, probably the main reason mileage hasn't increased much in the last decade. They will end up with vehicles nobody wants because the rules will be ahead of the technology again.

Old 09-03-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post
Unfortunately it seems more of a move to comply with upcoming CAFE standards rather then consumer demand. I think few drivers of Mustangs want them to be less powerful. Not a good thing, I think we are entering another period of disappointing downsized engines again. The feds have learned nothing about the last time in the 1970's and the destruction it caused to the big three. It has become infamous for its neutered and lousy cars.

You can see it in many vehicles, the Explorer has a V6 instead of a V8. The upcoming Chevy Malibu will not offer a V6. Ford is pushing V6's in F150 knowing that V8's are going to get rarer. I think the auto industry isn't out of the woods yet as the new regulations are really getting piled up lately. Crash regs add a lot to the weight of new cars, probably the main reason mileage hasn't increased much in the last decade. They will end up with vehicles nobody wants because the rules will be ahead of the technology again.
Does this mean we could potentially see a front wheel drive Mustang based upon a two door version of the Mazda 6? (a dig at the Ford Probe which was to become the next Mustang based upon the Mazda MX6, a two door Mazda 626)

Old 09-03-2011, 11:02 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richb View Post

Very true. Some of them are already getting negative reviews for being underpowered, like the turbo Chevy Cruze.

When those turbos start breaking down and people start forking over lots of cash for repairs, the domestic quality ratings will take another hit.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Very true. Some of them are already getting negative reviews for being underpowered, like the turbo Chevy Cruze.

When those turbos start breaking down and people start forking over lots of cash for repairs, the domestic quality ratings will take another hit.
The advantage is that if the companies pay attention to reviews and market research, most turbo engines can be bumped up fair amount by using a different turbo and/or ECU tune (VW's venerable 1.8t saw use in numerous VW's and Audis and ranged from 150hp to 240hp stock).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln