Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:14 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,882,088 times

Advertisements

US Gets BMW Turbo Diesel Engines - 180HP 4-Cylinder and 255HP 6-Cylinder - BMW 3-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST

Quote:
BMW has confirmed that two diesel engines will be making their way to the US.

One is a 2.0L single-turbo twinscroll 4 cylinder direct injection diesel engine outputting 180 HP and 280 LB-FT torque, the same stats as the N47 engine which currently powers the F30 320d and F10 520d. As for consumption and performance, the 320d, for example, achieves an impressive 52.2 combined MPG (US) (40.5 city / 61.8 hwy), with a factory claimed 7.1 secs 0-60 mph.

The other diesel will be a 3.0L twinscroll 6 cylinder turbo outputting 255 HP (no official torque number yet, but expect 400+ lb-ft torque). This will be an all new engine not seen before in any other models.
US gets BMW diesels once again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 06:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
now if we can just get the american automakers to build new diesels for their cars.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:01 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
YES!!! I'm so happy! I've been waiting for that 2.0L ever since I move I moved here!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:05 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,011,731 times
Awesome!

Not that I could afford it anyway...luckily, I've got VW Diesel money...and VW diesel taste too, just wish mine came factory with the european 170 hp tune, and not the 140 hp american version...would really wake this puppy up!

Old 07-13-2012, 08:30 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Anyone have insight to what the base price will be?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:54 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,887,176 times
Now if only Subaru would bring their awesome little turbo oil burner over...

Old 07-14-2012, 05:58 PM

707 posts, read 1,407,075 times
Awesome news, Diesels make much better sense then Hybrid's and their God awful battery packs!

Old 07-14-2012, 07:04 PM

1,528 posts, read 4,230,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elias9193 View Post
Awesome news, Diesels make much better sense then Hybrid's and their God awful battery packs!
No they don't..

For city driving Hybrids make much more sense

Diesel engines in city cars are coming to an end. Nowadays a Hybrid/petrol engine such as Toyota's Hybrid system delivers better fuel efficiency then a diesel with better acceleration, cleaner emissions. Also, CO2 emissions are lower with petrol, and Nitrous Oxide, which needs to be virtually eliminated for Euro 6, is much lower in petrol. Plus petrol engines are lighter, smoother, sound better and are cheaper to maintain than diesels. Still, I think we'll see diesels in larger cars and SUVs for many years to come.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,337,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
No they don't..

For city driving Hybrids make much more sense

Diesel engines in city cars are coming to an end. Nowadays a Hybrid/petrol engine such as Toyota's Hybrid system delivers better fuel efficiency then a diesel with better acceleration, cleaner emissions. Also, CO2 emissions are lower with petrol, and Nitrous Oxide, which needs to be virtually eliminated for Euro 6, is much lower in petrol. Plus petrol engines are lighter, smoother, sound better and are cheaper to maintain than diesels. Still, I think we'll see diesels in larger cars and SUVs for many years to come.
With the UREA spray system, the emissions of modern diesels significantly drops, and factually, you're wrong, the Toyota hybrids, do not produce better MPG figures, and definitely not better performance.

Yes, in inner city environments the NOX emissions of a diesel engine are not recommended and create a lot of local pollution, which is why you've seen them banned in more and more inner city environments in Europe (like Paris and Rome), that being said, there's a lot of vast open space in the US, and in the highways and roads here in TX for instance a diesel makes perfect sense, provide better gas mileage and much better real world performance.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
With the UREA spray system, the emissions of modern diesels significantly drops, and factually, you're wrong, the Toyota hybrids, do not produce better MPG figures, and definitely not better performance.

Yes, in inner city environments the NOX emissions of a diesel engine are not recommended and create a lot of local pollution, which is why you've seen them banned in more and more inner city environments in Europe (like Paris and Rome), that being said, there's a lot of vast open space in the US, and in the highways and roads here in TX for instance a diesel makes perfect sense, provide better gas mileage and much better real world performance.
NOX emissions from passenger diesels aren't really an issue here because they're required to meet the same emissions standards as petrol engines. That's a big part of why you see so few diesel-powered passenger cars here -- it's hard to make the economic case for them after spending even more money jumping through regulatory hurdles that are higher here than in Europe.

As for diesels versus hybrids in city driving... I'd still take the diesel. They have so much low-end torque that you barely have to tap the accelerator with your big toe to get 'em moving from a stop, so as long as you'e not jackrabbiting from stoplight to stoplight the real-world disparity between city and highway fuel economy isn't as drastic as for petrols.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > BMW and MINI