Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 11:29 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,552,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Very true. Some of them are already getting negative reviews for being underpowered, like the turbo Chevy Cruze.

When those turbos start breaking down and people start forking over lots of cash for repairs, the domestic quality ratings will take another hit.
Chevy Cruze. Let's see, do I want the 1.8L engine that's been around for several years in Opel cars or do I want the 1.4L turbo with the same horsepower as the 1.8L but with a slightly bigger price tag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 11:45 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,242,174 times
Wouldn't that be a downgrade since the base vehicle already has a 305hp V-6?

They could do a lot better than 250hp from a 4-cyl in my opinion. Mitsubishi Lancer Evos and Dodge SRT-4's can hit 400+ hp with upgraded turbos and other mods without any internal engine upgrades at all. Seriously, I think it would be sweet to see 400hp turbo 4's in certain cars. Imagine if Mazda came out with a 400hp turbo Mazdaspeed Miata.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:47 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,876,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Wouldn't that be a downgrade since the base vehicle already has a 305hp V-6?

They could do a lot better than 250hp from a 4-cyl in my opinion. Mitsubishi Lancer Evos and Dodge SRT-4's can hit 400+ hp with upgraded turbos and other mods without any internal engine upgrades at all. Seriously, I think it would be sweet to see 400hp turbo 4's in certain cars. Imagine if Mazda came out with a 400hp turbo Mazdaspeed Miata.
Do we know if this supplanting the current V6? This would surprise me since it's a pretty new and well-reviewed engine.

It's possible that the 4cyl turbo would just be a lower-cost, lower-HP entry model.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Do we know if this supplanting the current V6? This would surprise me since it's a pretty new and well-reviewed engine.

It's possible that the 4cyl turbo would just be a lower-cost, lower-HP entry model.
That's what I'm thinking. Either that, or it'll be a foreign marketed engine. At one time sports cars came with more than two engine choices. I hope they bring more choice back.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:47 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,876,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
That's what I'm thinking. Either that, or it'll be a foreign marketed engine. At one time sports cars came with more than two engine choices. I hope they bring more choice back.
Yeah, considering that Ford put millions of dollars worth of R&D into that engine, I doubt they'd pull it after a mere two years, only to replace it with a four-banger.

I'm sure the lineup will look like this:

Mustang Turbo (entry)
Mustang V6 (intermediate)
Mustang GT (highline)
GT500/etc (halo)

I wouldn't fret over the addition of a 4-lung turbo... again, the day after it's released, people will be swapping out for bigger turbos and intercoolers and youtube will be awash with videos of these base Mustangs throwing down 300, 400, 500hp. After a few months, a huge number of companies will have stepped up with all manner of kits, pistons, conrods, heads, cams, etc. so that these things will be throwing down Shelby-range power with half the cylinders.

Mustangs are extremely popular rentals for European visitors, and many of these people go on to grey-market import them to Europe, Asia, or Australia; again, the taxes and tariffs on larger-displacement engines in most of the rest of the world has made it poor business sense to ship them overseas (or send tooling over to have them made regionally), but plenty of markets would be more than happy to plunk down money for a Mustang that falls under the same tax bracket as a 2.5 liter Mondeo. When you're surrounded by cars that have 1.8, 1.6, 1.5, 1.3, or 1-liter (!) engines, 2.5 with a snail isn't so bad... and you're finally able to get the iconic American ponycar, complete with a warranty and dealership support!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:46 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,258,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Motor Trend reports Mustang will be offered with a direct injection turbo four cylinder with a little more than 250 HP. What do you think? They said the 5.0 will remain in the car's engine choices.
Sounds cool to me. Mustangs have a short but successful brush with tubro-4s. In fact I owned one and I'm sorry to say it was a POS. I wonder if 250HP is sufficient to push all that mass, but turbos tend to be torquey little bastards so maybe that'll help.

But the question I have is as follows: what's the point? Certainly its fuel economy can't be that much better than the V6. It's probably not much cheaper either. So what's the niche they're trying to fill that isn't already filled with the V6 that's almost certainly a better performer?

Old 09-04-2011, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Very true. Some of them are already getting negative reviews for being underpowered, like the turbo Chevy Cruze.

When those turbos start breaking down and people start forking over lots of cash for repairs, the domestic quality ratings will take another hit.
First, the point of using a small-displacement turbo in a Cruze is not for performance gains but for fuel economy gains. The turbo Cruze has just as much power as the larger-displacement NA Cruze plus it has a lot more torque. The reason the turbo Cruze doesn't blow the N/A Cruze's doors off is because the turbo Cruze is geared for fuel economy. It turns less than 2000 RPM at 60mph, which is just unbelievable for a 1.4L 4-cylinder. You know what makes that possible? The torque provided by turbocharging. If the turbo Cruze had the N/A Cruze's gear ratios, it would be an entirely different animal.

Second, the reliability concerns of turbocharged cars are overblown. The fact that turbocharged cars are more complicated and there are more things to break is a valid concern. Nonetheless, with modern technology, the net gains in fuel economy more than offset the net maintenance drawbacks of turbocharging. All three of the domestics have experience with forced-induction technology going back decades. GM's Ecotec engines in particular have proven to be quite sturdy and able to withstand considerable abuse. I wouldn't worry one bit about the reliability of a turbo Cruze.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:57 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,348,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
They've had turbo 4 mustangs before.
They certainly did, and its what i'd call Mustangs darkest hour..

http://www.lovefords.org/features/images/mustang.jpg (broken link)

Old 09-04-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
They certainly did, and its what i'd call Mustangs darkest hour..

http://www.lovefords.org/features/images/mustang.jpg (broken link)
Bzzt. Wrong. Ford didn't offer a turbo Mustang until the Fox-body version, which was the Renaissance era of the Mustang after the Dark Ages of the "Mustang II" era. And the turbo Mustang, for all its fits, played a small part in that renaissance. The Mustang SVO in particular is a collector's item today, and it made as much or more horsepower as the 5.0 V8 in its day.

ETA: the picture included in jambo's post was of a Mustang II. That pic is not currently showing up. Just wanted to make sure folks understand the context of this thread-diversion.

Last edited by Drover; 09-04-2011 at 05:15 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 05:12 AM

http://media.motortopia.com/files/53...ef/svo_027.jpg

Doing this from my iPhone. Hope you can see the photo in the link. This is an example of the SVO Mustang. Wikipedia has a full page just on this limited idition model. In 1986, they got their 2.3L turbo up to 215 HP and 250 torque. The 5.0 V8 was making about the same horsepower at the time. It had 200 HP and 285 torque.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln