Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 08:19 PM

325 posts, read 1,078,091 times

Advertisements

I am a bartender and we make a really easy smoothe all you need is some frozen strawberries, a half a banana, pineapple juice, and some apple juice. Throw all that in your blender and your good to go. Its delicious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 09:05 PM

465 posts, read 2,427,986 times
I am known to my friends and family as "The Smoothie Queen". I have tested recipe, after recipe, after recipe. One thing remains constant. There must be certain ingredients present to give a balanced, full flavored taste, with a smooth finish. Remember that fresh fruit with ice never gives the texture of using frozen fruit to begin with.

Always use frozen fruit, it gives the best consistency.

Use either sorbet, sherbert, or low fat yogurt for sweetener, so as not to add sugar.

Use milk (perferably soy)

Use juice (orange is the complementary to most fruits)

These are the four cardinal rules of smoothie creations. Remember, use a mixture of milk and juice for a balanced, full bodied flavor. Unfortunetly, I don't have recipes, I would have to dig back into my archives to find them; so for now, I go on gut feel and taste.

Old 05-27-2007, 09:19 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,260,352 times
Don't forget, if you buy orange juice, there's a lot of sugar content in those, too!!

Old 05-29-2007, 04:45 PM

550 posts, read 2,826,809 times
Well, I have been trying these smoothies. I could get use to them! I really like them in the morning when I don't really want to "eat" anything. Also for a small snack at night if I really need something.

The only thing I had to adjust was the amount of banana to use. If there is too much it is way to thick and turns into goopy goo! My kids love the fruit smoothies.

Thanks again for all the great recipes.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:28 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,106,688 times
I love, love, love smoothies. I used to make them a long time ago. Then, when Jamba Juice came out, I just would go there and get them. Now where we live there isn't a smoothie place nearby. I miss them. I need to buy a blender or move to be near a Jamba Juice.

I used to make mine with.... Frozen strawberries, a banana, yogurt, and orange juice. YUM!!!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:44 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,906,096 times
I make a lot of smoothies for work (nutrition education), and I am always surprised that a lot of other people add sugar or honey to a fruit smoothie. I don't- not only do i think it's fine without, but I don't want to teach my clients or kids that you need a little sugar in everything.. (I'm trying to teach the opposite- lol!) I most always use fat free yogurt, and try to use the pulpiest OJ I can, as it has more fiber (same with using whole/frozen fruit- lots of good fiber!).

I especially like freezing the smoothies into popsicle molds and having them as a frozen treat!

I do think that a smoothie is perfectly acceptable as a meal, especially if you can add a protein in with it (PB on crackers, or protein powder mixed in). I do not see it as an empty calorie fest- there are lots of good vits and mins, as well as fiber and calcium!

Afterthought- you can use frozen bananas to make it thicker. This is also good to know because you can freeze those bananas that you were going to use for banana bread by putting them in a ziploc and throwing them in the freezer. Some people peel them, or even peel and slice, but I usually freeze it with the skin on- protects against freezer burn...

Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,906,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingoutofCA View Post
Yes, do you want me to post a few? in my cookbook I have recipes for smoothies with:
Beets
Carrots
Cucumbers
Red bell peppers
tomatoes (I know it's a fruit)

But I can't promise you they taste good. I stick with the fruit.
Beet and Carrot Juices taste pretty good so why not? And Cucumbers are very refreshing and light so guess I could picture that one with nice yogurt and some fresh ground black pepper maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink