Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:53 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,659,306 times

Advertisements

At least two breakfast cereals targeted to children sometimes get half of their weight from sugar, according to Consumer Reports.

The group tested 27 cereals and found that Post Golden Crisp and Kellogg's Honey Smacks were more than 50 percent sugar. Nine others were 40 percent sugar.

Kids' Cereals Sometimes Half Sugar - Health News Story - WFSB Hartford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 10:13 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,879,969 times
Wow... that is insane! Thanks for that list... Fortunately I am a tride and true Honey Nut Cheerios MOM LOL Looks Like I am doing an OK Job!!!!

Old 10-02-2008, 11:02 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,068,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
At least two breakfast cereals targeted to children sometimes get half of their weight from sugar, according to Consumer Reports.

The group tested 27 cereals and found that Post Golden Crisp and Kellogg's Honey Smacks were more than 50 percent sugar. Nine others were 40 percent sugar.

My absolute pet peeve.

I don't know how they are allowed to sell this crap in the same aisle as breakfast food - it's nearer to candy than real food.

May as well give the kids a bag of Oreos and a glass of milk for breakfast.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:12 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,009,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

My only question is they just figured this out?!?!?!?!?!

Heck I knew this as a kid as I was filling my bowl with the crap. My parents finally did crack down and not allow us to eat the stuff and we switched over to the Cheerios.

Honey Nut wasn't too bad, but when all we had was the plain I would sneak sugar on to them, if my parents were not paying attention.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:03 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,508,094 times
i saw this on the today show this morning, and as usual i am disgusted by the way the US treats us, while in europe, non of the food has any artificial anything and the cereal has half the sugar it has here.
but this might be another discussion...
i WAS happy to hear though, that my son's favorite cereal was on the "good" list.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i saw this on the today show this morning, and as usual i am disgusted by the way the US treats us, while in europe, non of the food has any artificial anything and the cereal has half the sugar it has here.
Well, I'm from the UK and I'm sad to say that there are plenty of highly-sugared cereals there too, although it does seem easier to find healthier ones there. Which reminds me - why can't you get Shreddies here? They're yummy and not too sweet.

Coke in UK/Europe is still sugar, not HFCS - tho I wonder for how long...

This grocery delivery site is interesting for anyone wondering what we all buy in the UK, it's one of the major national UK food store chains - most products list ingredients too.

Sainsbury's online groceries

Old 10-02-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Well, I'm from the UK and I'm sad to say that there are plenty of highly-sugared cereals there too, although it does seem easier to find healthier ones there. Which reminds me - why can't you get Shreddies here? They're yummy and not too sweet.

Coke in UK/Europe is still sugar, not HFCS - tho I wonder for how long...

This grocery delivery site is interesting for anyone wondering what we all buy in the UK, it's one of the major national UK food store chains - most products list ingredients too.

Sainsbury's online groceries
by shreddies i assume you are talking about shredded wheat? i remember eating shredded wheat --the giant squares or the little ones when i was younger--i also remember they had hardly any sugar in them compared to other cereal--we still have those dont we??

Old 10-02-2008, 01:07 PM

Shreddies are the brand name - little flat brown malted squares....different to Shredded Wheat...can't get 'em here

Shreddies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-02-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Shreddies are the brand name - little flat brown malted squares....different to Shredded Wheat...can't get 'em here

Shreddies - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
from the picture they LOOK like chex---but i bet they dont taste the same or you would have mentioned it

Old 10-02-2008, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
from the picture they LOOK like chex---but i bet they dont taste the same or you would have mentioned it
No - nothing tastes the same - believe me I've tried.... boohoo!

Shreddies are malty...mmm

they also have a mad ad out http://www.knittedbynanas.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink