Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the following sandwiches, or not sandwiches? Please post on thread as well (so I see responses)
Samosas 3 37.50%
Empanadas 3 37.50%
Tacos 3 37.50%
Bagel & Lox 8 100.00%
Chimichangas 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 10:21 PM

17,717 posts, read 16,862,630 times

Advertisements

None of them are sandwiches.

Old 05-29-2024, 09:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,973 posts, read 82,079,177 times
None of them can be considered a sandwich. Maybe the bagel and lox could pass as an "open faced" sandwich, but even that is a stretch. A sandwich is two pieces of bread with a filling between them. Strictly speaking even a sub, cheesesteak or Po' boy is not a sandwich, hence their own unique names.

Old 05-29-2024, 09:53 AM

10,985 posts, read 5,826,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
None of them can be considered a sandwich. Maybe the bagel and lox could pass as an "open faced" sandwich, but even that is a stretch. A sandwich is two pieces of bread with a filling between them. Strictly speaking even a sub, cheesesteak or Po' boy is not a sandwich, hence their own unique names.
Isn’t that contradictory?

Old 05-29-2024, 10:02 AM

18,672 posts, read 18,960,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Per Igor's definition (with which I agree)...

A hamburger in a hamburger bun is a sandwich, but a hot dog in a hot dog bun is not a sandwich.
none considered a sandwich in the UK... a sandwich is two slices of bread with whatever inside.. John Montagu
The sandwich, as we know it, is often credited to John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich. Legend has it that during a prolonged gambling session, the Earl requested meat tucked between two pieces of bread to eat without interrupting his game. The convenience of this meal led to its eponymous name.

Old 05-29-2024, 11:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,973 posts, read 82,079,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Isn’t that contradictory?
No, a bun opened up but hinged is not two slices of bread.

Old 05-29-2024, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, a bun opened up but hinged is not two slices of bread.
That’s certainly not a universal condition (hinged bun), and in fact many such sandwiches are prepared with the “hoagie” roll completely sliced through, making two pieces of bread.

But hey, if you believe that the way the bread is cut fundamentally changes something from sandwich to not sandwich, who am I to argue?

Last edited by TaxPhd; 05-29-2024 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: Fat fingering iPhone keyboard. . .

Old 05-29-2024, 02:04 PM

14,450 posts, read 11,944,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
That’s certainly not a universal condition (hinged bun), and in fact many such sandwiches are prepared with the “hoagie” roll completely sliced through, making two pieces of bread.

But hey, if you believe that the way the bread is cut fundamentally changes something from sandwich to not sandwich, who am I to argue?
I'm on the fence about this. If a hot dog is not a sandwich, but you cut the bun completely in two, does it become a sandwich? My gut feeling is that it is not a sandwich either way, but I'm not sure why.

On the other hand, I definitely heard my dad refer to a hamburger as a "sandwich" back in the day.

Old 05-29-2024, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm on the fence about this. If a hot dog is not a sandwich, but you cut the bun completely in two, does it become a sandwich? My gut feeling is that it is not a sandwich either way, but I'm not sure why.
I posted about this upthread. My position is that if something is similar to a sandwich, but occupies some other classification that’s more appropriate, I will tend to classify it the other thing.

While a hot dog is similar to a sandwich, I believe that “hot dog” as its own unique classification is more appropriate. I don’t think that many people would classify a sandwich as a hot dog (if it was on bread that wasn’t completely sliced through). And I also don’t the believe that the opposite (classifying a hot dog as a sandwich) is appropriate either.

Quote:
On the other hand, I definitely heard my dad refer to a hamburger as a "sandwich" back in the day.
Also addressed upthread. Google “Louis Lunch” for more info. My feelings on this one is that “Hamburger” is a more correct (and more universal) classification.

Old 05-29-2024, 04:22 PM

8,524 posts, read 7,537,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
none considered a sandwich in the UK... a sandwich is two slices of bread with whatever inside...
Yes, the British and the Americans are different. I offer up the British concept of pudding versus the American concept of pudding as one very distinct difference.

Old Today, 04:46 PM

27,671 posts, read 13,862,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Yes, the British and the Americans are different. I offer up the British concept of pudding versus the American concept of pudding as one very distinct difference.

I think pudding can mean either a a cooked sweet dish served after the main course of a meal such as
'a rice pudding' or 'bread and butter pudding' in the UK, and the US,.

However as well as a sweet pudding in the UK, a pudding may also refer to a savoury steamed dish made with suet and flour such as 'a steak and kidney pudding' or even a baked pudding made from a batter of eggs, flour, and milk or water such as a Yorkshire Pudding which are served with meat rather than as a dessert.

Britain like the US does eat a considerable amount of sandwiches, and when the British think of a sandwich it's generally between two slices of bread or in a French baguette, which is often referred to as a sub, hoagie, grinder etc in the US.

There are different types of bread that can constitute a sandwich, and I would include wraps (tortillas) and bagels as sandwiches, although bagels are sometimes referred to as beigels in the UK and the pronunciation can be different, and this apparently depends on different Jewish communities and where they settled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish Chronicle

Which do you say, bagel or beigel? For the uninitiated, who have probably already given up, these variations are pronounced “baygel” and “bye-gal”. The former is considered more “westernised”, the latter more faithful to how it might have been said in Yiddish, though with a slight cockney twinge. Either way, your choice of noun tells you something quite important about your Anglo-Jewish identity.

Whether you say bagel or beigel depends on what kind of Jew you are - Jewish Chronicle

Last edited by Brave New World; Today at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink