Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the following sandwiches, or not sandwiches? Please post on thread as well (so I see responses)
Samosas 3 37.50%
Empanadas 3 37.50%
Tacos 3 37.50%
Bagel & Lox 8 100.00%
Chimichangas 2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2024, 09:29 AM

19,894 posts, read 20,494,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post

A torta is a sandwich. A taco is not a sandwich in any world. A chimichanga is a deep-fried burrito
^This.

Old 05-27-2024, 09:40 AM

12,206 posts, read 8,608,679 times
Calzone, empanada, pastie? Same beast I think. Do you suppose the development of each was spurred by the need to make lunch quick, warm and handy for the working person?

I'm still back there on page one daydreaming of the rakish Earl of Sandwich, a man too busy being naughty to eat.

I think I've come up with the perfect invention. You know those thingies harmonica players wear around their necks so they can play guitar also? How about a sandwich holder around your neck so you can participate on CD while having lunch?

Old 05-27-2024, 10:09 AM

14,450 posts, read 11,944,593 times
It's actually humorous to consider that some people feel a need to gather every type of food which incorporates "carbs and protein, eaten with hands" into a single category, and that the category they select is "sandwich."

What about pizza? It has dough (check), protein (check), eaten with hands (check). Ergo, pizza is a open-face sandwich.

Old 05-27-2024, 11:09 AM

12,440 posts, read 6,513,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
When I was a child a White Plains restaurant served a delicious "open" roast beef sandwich. Turkey goes well on open too, with stuffing on top. But I digress. I maintain that the sandwich crust can be enclosed, making an empanada, burrito, somosa or whatever you want to call it and it is still a sandwich. So says the Virgin Island Daily News, Hot dogs, empanadas, calzones: Everything is a sandwich.

The fact that he has to try and prove it so hard demonstrates that none of these non-sandwich items are sandwiches.

Some restaurants will have on the menu an open face hot "turkey sandwich".

It is a full Thanksgiving meal of turkey, mashed potatoes, and gravy but because the mountain of turkey and gravy is piled on top two thin slices of white bread, they call it a "sandwich".

Old 05-27-2024, 11:17 AM

12,440 posts, read 6,513,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
By definition a sandwich is an item of food consisting of two pieces of bread with meat, cheese, or other filling between them.
So no: 1,2,3 and 5 are not sandwiches. A bagel with lox is usually open face sandwich, but some people eat it covered with the top bagel. Then it's a sandwich. I don't eat anything with top and bottom bread.

Hot dog, Calzones are sandwiches. Empanada is not (sort of pierogi's, really). Hero, submarine, hoagie and bread pockets are sandwiches. Asian banh mi, bun kebab, torta, panini, chimichurri, stuffed pita, naan, .... anything "stuffed" into or between bread or bread like dough is a sandwich.

But by loose definition taco or burrito could be considered Mexican STYLE sandwich. Piada would be Italian style sandwich. Pop tart while a type of ravioli could also be considered a sandwich.Two waffles with filling could be a sandwich. Or any kind of food in an "envelope". Roll a piece of pizza and it will be a sandwich...

Oh, wait!! This question went to court!
On May 13, 2024, a judge in the Allen Superior Court in Indiana issued an order concluding that tacos and burritos are sandwiches in the eyes of the law

https://blogs.loc.gov/law/2024/05/as...co-a-sandwich/

Just further proof of how activist judges often get it wrong and make up law from whole cloth.

There is no planet on which a taco is a sandwich in any sense of the word.

Is a corn-dog a sandwhich? No, it is just battered meat.

If a corn-dog is a sandwhich, which it would be to that judge, then are fish and chips also sandwiches? And then so are deep fried jalapeño poppers, fried zucchini and fried mozzarella sticks to that judge.

Moron.

Just boggles the mind how people will torture logic to get their own way. Judge was an idiot. A taco is NOT a sandwich.

Old 05-27-2024, 11:47 AM

19,988 posts, read 30,412,921 times
Speaking of sandwiches

50 Billion hamburgers are consumed
Annually in the u s …. Representing
30% of all sandwiches

Old 05-27-2024, 01:20 PM

8,000 posts, read 5,441,291 times
I would not consider any of them sandwiches.

Old 05-27-2024, 02:20 PM

89,077 posts, read 85,670,613 times
None of the items listed are sandwiches.

Old 05-27-2024, 04:20 PM

6,238 posts, read 4,655,927 times
But it's more than the definition. Some of those have the sense of a sandwich, with meat in a crust of some sort, that you can pick up and eat with one hand.

Old 05-27-2024, 05:30 PM

14,450 posts, read 11,944,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
But it's more than the definition. Some of those have the sense of a sandwich, with meat in a crust of some sort, that you can pick up and eat with one hand.
But that's casting too wide a net. A sandwich isn't just meat in some sort of crust, it's specifically made with bread. Calling a taco a sandwich is comparable to, say, defining an ice-cream cone as a "sweet frozen dessert that you can hold in your hand," and then claiming that a fruit popsicle is a type of ice-cream cone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink