Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 01:01 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,866,198 times

Advertisements

I use it to make popcorn. I also will leave a little of the grease in the pan and make my omelette to go with the bacon. I've never thought of using it to fry veggies but now that you all mention it, I'm thinking string-beans and almond slivers stir-fried with bacon fat sounds pretty darned yummy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 01:03 PM

24,810 posts, read 11,209,296 times
I grease the skillet for baking cornbread in with bacon grease.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:49 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,199,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I use it to make popcorn. I also will leave a little of the grease in the pan and make my omelette to go with the bacon. I've never thought of using it to fry veggies but now that you all mention it, I'm thinking string-beans and almond slivers stir-fried with bacon fat sounds pretty darned yummy.
Popcorn usually makes me want to hurl, but maybe bacon grease would improve the taste.

I eat bacon rarely but one of the things I love it with is a big mess of sauteed greens of any kind, or green beans, or Brussels sprouts. Anything green, basically.

I had no idea that bacon grease was such A Thing, actually.

Bacon Grease Uses (and Photo Gallery of your Bacon Grease Jars!) | Southern Plate

Old 12-01-2013, 02:02 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,755,098 times
Trying to figure out what about popcorn would be remotely hurl-worthy. It's a pretty blank slate kind of food.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:07 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Trying to figure out what about popcorn would be remotely hurl-worthy. It's a pretty blank slate kind of food.
Somebody should start a thread on that. I've seen several mentions of people hating popcorn lately. What is there to not like about popcorn? Bacon grease--I save it and mix it with birdseed and put it in the freezer. Makes good food for birds in winter because they need fat in their diets.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:07 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,784,706 times
I don't eat a lot of bacon and the desire to eat it comes and goes in spurts. I'll have to remember to save the fat the next time I get the bacon craving.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:54 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,199,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
The smell, first of all.
The squeaky weird texture.
The chemically-laden aftertaste.
Also, did I mention the smell?

I did not grow up in the US so popcorn was never a part of my social fabric or relevance growing up. That is probably a part of it too.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:27 PM

7,214 posts, read 4,895,876 times
I love love bacon. Whenever I cook it, I save the grease, because it's so......good?? Useable in other dishes? So I put it in a tupperware container, and when it's solidified I put it in the fridge.

2-3 months down the road, I throw it out because I haven't used it.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:41 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,908,204 times
I usually put it in the grease disposal jar and it goes in the trash. Very occasionally, I'll leave a slick in the cast iron pan and saute fajita mix in it.

Old 12-01-2013, 04:44 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,618,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Being a Southern Girl I thought the only way to cook veggies was in bacon fat. My mother always kept a little strainer container on the shelf along with her flour, sugar, coffee. All canister sets back in the day came with matching bacon drippings container.
I stopped keeping bacon drippings for many decades and only recently- last 2 years- started keeping a bit and adding it to my green beans. It makes a big difference. I've greased my pancake pan with it some which gives great flavor.
My wife won't cook green beans without it! Also uses it in her potato dumplings (made the same way as chicken and dumplings but, of course, potatoes instead of chicken. lol), fry potatoes, season just about anything, rub it in the skillet to make corn bread, making gravy and more used she can't even think of right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink