Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2008, 06:45 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Ah. One of me favorites. You can take great liberties with ambrosia. It is a blend of grapefruit, orange, cherry, and maybe some coconut. We like it with red or pink grapefruit and navel oranges with some tangerine sections if available. I think for us about 1 part grapefruit to 3 parts oranges is normal. Squeeze enough juice to keep the fruit in a soup like consistency. We top with cherries and coconut. Most likely many recipes on line that will make changes but this is the basics.
Ummm ? Ambrosia is fruit salad? I meant ambrosia in reference to the pumpkin cake - as in 'food of the gods' - but evidently those Greek gods were keen on fruit salad too. In the UK another 'Ambrosia' is a brand of canned rice pudding, sweet and creamy, would go well with a chaser of grapefuit salad...

Well, this thread certainly is an education

Old 11-05-2008, 06:48 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
Yep, I just learned something to. I had pumpkin cake for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Real good with pecans in it.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,514,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Never had a turkey taco. If the turkey was slow smoked I might bite. Otherwise give me some steak. Of course I wouldn't turn down a taco filled with pulled pork and jalapenos either.
Smoked turkey sounds great, you should top it with shredded cabbage and salsa plus sour cream or crema.

You won't regret it.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:29 PM

849 posts, read 1,953,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
southdown, I think it's pumpkin dump cake if I'm not mistaken. I think I read a recipe somewhere yesterday. Let me see if I can find it for you (it won't be till tomorrow, tho).

Hey, Lacey...I'm 1/2 Irish, 1/4 German, so look out! That's REALLY stubborn!
Yeah, that was my post. Here is the recipe. I like to use butter pecan cake mix, but the original calls for yellow cake mix. Spice cake is good too.

Here it is:

1 can (29 oz.) pumpkin
1 can evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 cup sugar ( I use ½ brown sugar ad ½ white sugar)
3 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. salt
Mix all the above ingredients and pour into a greased 9" x 13" baking pan.
Sprinkle on top of batter:
1 box yellow cake mix (I used butter pecan cake mix)
1 cup chopped pecans
3/4 cup butter, meted

Directions
Sprinkle one yellow cake mix over the top of the batter and chopped pecans and then drizzle 3/4 cup melted butter top of cake mix and nuts. Bake in preheated 350º F., oven for 50 minutes. It may still be a little "jiggly" in the center when you remove it from the oven, but it firms up as it cools

Old 11-05-2008, 07:32 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,746,160 times
Tonight was take-out of veal parmesan and angel hair.
I had a significant loss at WW so I indulged...not too bad though as it was filling.....Delish

Old 11-05-2008, 08:49 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,624 times
We ended up having the last of the beef stew out of the freezer with some homemade cheddar herb biscuits.....burgers and fries are postponed til the weekend

Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,338,401 times
Whoosh, I'm a tired gal tonight. Three looooong days in a row is about two too many at my age. Had another profoundly fascinating session watching Mr. Not-A-Comedian ramble on about auditing again tonight, and after getting way too little sleep last night and not much more the night before, it was downright painful to keep myself awake for the full session. And on top of it, I've evidently caught some generous person's head cold (probably the spouse's), and I think my nose is about to drip right off my face.

Nothing much exciting in the way of dinner tonight, I fear. I had a peanut butter sandwich on the way to my class, the spouse had a mackerel sandwich between his workday and his Wednesday night Russian class, and the daughter worked late tonight and ate there, so we were all pretty boring. I have hopes for tomorrow night, though, as the spouse was mulling over the relative merits of bone-in vs. boneless chicken for chicken cacciatore. A nice heaping pile of pasta topped with tomato sauce and a chunk of chicken sounds like just the ticket for a Thursday night, I'd say.

Here's wishing one and all a wonderful rest-of-the-week. G'night!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:18 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,227,678 times
Last night DH and I split a big top sirloin steak. We had a small green salad and whipped potatoes on the side.

I picked up some mahi mahi yesterday, so that will be tonight's dinner. I'm not sure how I will prepare it yet.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:23 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,872,241 times
Good morning all! Day is going very well, Better than yesterday ( ) Hubby made it up by taking the Karate Kid to the Dojo last night so I didn't have to! that was a huge make up gift! Very nice for me.... and he got dinner....

Tonight Mr S is working late so I am off the hook for cooking... the kids will want something easy like Mac N Cheese and I will just throw myself a sandwich together or something of the like.... easy peasy lemon squeazy!

Have a great day... we are enjoying one last SEPTEMBER like day (might hit 65/70!)

Old 11-06-2008, 05:40 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,319,742 times
We are also looking forward to a couple of "Indian-Summer" days here--'spose to get up to 76 today and tomorrow! Lovely. Still have not made that much needed trip to the "city" so today is the day! With such lovely weather it will be a nice trip. We'll get the grandbabies Birthday gifts, with just barely enough time to get them sent to him by his Birthday, and then go out to dinner, finally! I really "need" a night off!

Lacey, your German hubby is calm????? So what happened to my German hubby? He is anything but calm. Mr. hyper-active with an attitude! Ha! I am tho one who has to be calm. That is until he really gets to me and then the sh$t hits the fan! It's not pretty! Ha! Thank goodness that doesn't happen often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.