Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 09:38 AM

1,309 posts, read 4,210,828 times

Advertisements

Boca Barb,

WOW. I thought mine lasted long...I've got my Farberware since I met my husband in 1989. I'm no "chef of the future" but these have served me well over the years, and they're still in great condition even though I do use Brillo to get off the tough stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2007, 02:57 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,232,202 times
Within 6 to 8 years, the hard anodized cookware wore through the hard coating,

sunsprit, the higher end Calphalon lines all have lifetime warranties, and Calphalon does back them. Your pieces may have been defective. I have had Calphalon hard annodized for a long time and all of the pieces look and function as they did when brand new. One thing I will agree with--->avoid the nonstick line of any cookware. Hard anodized allows use of metal utensils, and is oven safe at temperatures much higher than a poster quoted for Pampered Chef. That said, Calphalon does make lower end lines like you can buy at Target and the like--->those are lower end for a reason, and if they have any warranty, it is very limited, and those pieces would not be as durable as the higher lines. But the higher end pieces are lifetime warranty and built to last. No, not dishwasher safe-->but not many people I know have a dishwasher that can accomodate a 12 in. deep saute pan anyhow. ;-) That said, I know recently Calphalon just revamped their line, but I have no experience with the newer pieces.

My only complaint about Calphalon hard anodized: HEAVY empty. Even heavier when full.

I also have a few pieces of All-Clad stainless received as gifts and like those. But I prefer the hard anodized as imho it is easier to clean.

As an aside, I still have Revere Ware stainless with copper bottom pans which have to be 30 years old. They are looking a bit old and tired but still functional. Unless the line has deteriorated in quality, would definitely recommend as a more budget-friendly alternative to those who do not want to invest in All-Clad or Calphalon.

I am not a fan of cast iron. And I quite personally will not pay the money for copper-->which I understand is super cookware nonetheless.

Your mileage may differ....

Old 09-16-2007, 01:53 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,410,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I've had stainless Revere Ware for 20-some years; it's fine for most cooking, easy to clean, and is a huge improvement over the enamel-clad stuff I bought when I got out of college (it was so pretty! It just didn't stay that way).

I like cast iron for frying, on the rare occasion that I fry something.
Same here. My mother always used Revere Ware pans and when I moved out about 25 years ago, I bought several Revere Ware pans, and I'm still quite happy with them.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:22 AM

3,418 posts, read 9,271,298 times
Quote:
My mother always used Revere Ware pans and when I moved out about 25 years ago, I bought several Revere Ware pans, and I'm still quite happy with them.
My Mother got hers so long ago, I think she's always had them. (I'm 53). I got them when she died 5 years ago. I also bought some of my own. They are the copper clad bottoms. Hers actually work better than mine do. I guess the newer sets aren't as well made as the older stuff. But I won't give them up. Liz

Old 09-16-2007, 10:48 AM

7,404 posts, read 19,428,568 times
We have the all clad. Expensive but worth it. I got tired of replacing pots and pans all the time and this seems to be one of the better brands.
Also cook with cast iron skillets.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:44 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,476,003 times
just came back across this thread for the first time in a long time ...

our Calphalon all came from Cook's stores, not the lower end stuff. So I'll have to see if they're willing to warranty it, since I don't have the receipts for it. Most of it was gifts we received.

since I only use a non-abrasive nylon scrubbing pad or nylon brush and dishsoap on my cookware, I was surprised to see the Calphalon pots and pans wear through the anodized surfaces in 5-8 years of nominal use.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:21 PM

476 posts, read 1,581,595 times
I love my Cook's Essentials from QVC. I have the hard anodized set.

Old 09-21-2007, 06:00 PM

26,682 posts, read 29,035,877 times
I still have most of a set from 1967 -- it is stainless on the inside and aluminum on the outside so that it conducts heat and is easy to clean. I've always loved it but the covers were junky and two of the pots got smushed in a moving van a few years ago.

I also have part of an old set of Revere Ware copper clad which is almost as good as the other set but the first set had simple, straight handles that were easy to clean.

I have two cast iron items -- one, a large frying pan that came down through the ages, the other a Griswold flat skillet for pancakes. Simple to clean -- wipe them out with a paper towel, add a little water and boil, then swipe again with a paper towel. I keep the large frying pan right on the stove top all the time because of the weight.

I also have some pieces of that glass Pyrex stuff that came out awhile back and that's good for baking and is attractive for the table but things stick to it.

Old 09-22-2007, 06:12 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,335,779 times
I've had a set of Analon anodized aluminum for four years now, and I love it. I looks as good as it did the day I bought them, they book beautifully, and cleanup is an absolute breeze. I ordered them through Amazon, and they threw in a second 8-inch skillet for free; it's perfect for eggs in the morning. I also have a 12-inch skillet that's very deep - it's great for larger, one-skillet meals.

A few things I do to keep them in good condition:

1. Never put them in the dishwasher. I've never had a problem with this, as puts and pans take up so much room in the dishwasher anyway. They're non-stick, so they're very easy to clean. It takes about two minutes, tops.

2. Never use non-stick spray. It's not necessary, and can actually damage the non-stick properties of the cookware.

3. Storage: If you stack non-stick cookware, put a paper towel or something similar between the pans. This keeps them from scratching. I use some of those thin foam sheets made for packing dishes to move.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:14 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,897,250 times
Default All Clad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I've been looking through old threads but nothing quite answered my question.
Not all, but several of the pots and pans from when we got married have, after 25 years, gotten pretty beat up and I threw them out.
We'll probably all die of some dreadful disease because they were that SilverStone teflon stuff.
I'm not crazy about cast iron; I do have a huge calphalon griddle, pasta pot and small calphalon soup pot, but nothing in between.
Does anyone have a favorite type of cookware? What's the scoop on stainless steel?
Is All-Clad worth it? I just need a couple big frying and/or saute pans.
I like to cook but am not a fancypants gourmet.
Yes, All Clad is worth it. It's an investment, but it's wonderful and will last forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink