Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:13 PM

10 posts, read 47,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Thanks for the continuing input.
Yikes, now I feel pressured to get something, but I think I'll hold off awhile.
I have the same Farberware stainless steel pots that I use since I married in 1967. They are the original ones that they make. I love them and have only had to replace handles on one pot.

I also like the Millenium by Farberware and have 2 frying pans that are great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 01:51 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,509,264 times
I was given one smaller size T-Fal saucepan by a friend and I really like it, but it is the only T-Fal item I own. Any others have more T-Fal pots and pans and what do they think of them?

Old 07-06-2007, 08:06 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,738,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boca Barb View Post
I have the same Farberware stainless steel pots that I use since I married in 1967. They are the original ones that they make. I love them and have only had to replace handles on one pot.

I also like the Millenium by Farberware and have 2 frying pans that are great!!!
I have some of my mom's old pots that she bought in the 1940's - they're great. No idea what brand they are though.

I have a set of Circulon purchased when I got married and it's wonderful (14 yrs). Looks brand new and we use it almost every day. Easy to clean. I realize this is "white trash" cookware compared to some mentioned in this thread, but I'd buy it again in a minute.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:15 AM

12 posts, read 61,714 times
My husband and I are HUGE cooks and have owned All-Clad for years but hate the clean up after cooking. It depends if you do a lot of sauces, etc. where you need the core material to be where it cooks even, etc., which costs more - but worth it.

My preference now is the Pampered Chef cookware (disclosure, I am a consultant). Life time warranty as long as you own it and you can bake in it in the over (stove top to oven) up to 350 degrees. (Other brands will allow you to do the same too) The Pampered Chef, Ltd. : Cookware

We have 3 sets of cookware and rarely use our All-Clad much anymore.

The Teflon issue isn't the Teflon itself but rather the chemicals used to make the Teflon adhere to the pot/pan. Look for the hard-anodized cookware, which means the Teflon was baked onto the piece. You can visit the Teflon Web site and they will explain the processes, etc.

Also, Consumer Reports is a good resource.

Learn the core materials All-Clad Metalcrafters - Cookware, Bakeware, Tools and Electrics - Cookware Materials

Calphalon comparison is here: Calphalon - Cookware Comparison (broken link)

A lot depends on the level of care you wish to invest. Most can't go in the dishwasher, have to watch the utensils, etc. so investigate before you spend lots to find the right pieces for you.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,065,075 times
Wow, thanks for the input. This is very informative.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:46 AM

1 posts, read 6,143 times
Default Thermolon non-stick

Has anybody experience with these new Green-Pan articles? I know they were for sale through HSN but due to the great success they were sold out in 1 day. I hope they will be available again very soon.
I visited the GreenPan website (green-pan.com), but I couldn't find where they are for sale.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:41 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,469,254 times
no offense to pampered chef fans, it is over priced. If i could suggest chefs.com, you will find a wide range of brands and materials with reviews from top chefs all over. They have good sale prices on sets or individual pans. You can read about the heat distribution etc and they carry everything for in the kitchen not just pans. Sur La Table.com is another good one and both have catalogs you can get free in the mail.

Old 08-05-2007, 06:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,065,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Winter View Post
Sur La Table.com is another good one and both have catalogs you can get free in the mail.
Yes, I used to shop at Sur La Table when I lived in Denver and I still get their emails though I have not shopped online with them yet.
I've been reading consumersearch reviews; they have summarized several Cook's Illustrated stories. The reviews are kind of dated, most at least a year old, but it gave me a feel for what's out there.
I think I will end up getting a La Creuset braiser ( they are so pretty and I love the stove-to-oven-to table). But I'll have to ask for it as a birthday gift.
In the meantime, I am backing it up with K-Mart purchases:
One Martha Stewart 12-inch stainless steel saucepan w/lid
Two smaller Tfal Thermador nonstick pans for eggs or other day-to-day stuff.
(All were on clearance, silicone handles, oven & dishwasher safe, though I'll probably hand-wash)
I have such an eclectic cookware collection now.
But I guess it works for me.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:10 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,544,709 times
I got a couple of Calphalon items (non-stick) from Tuesday Morning at a discounted price and I have been pleased. I have been using RevereWare mostly and they are getting pretty beat up. I appreciate all of the input here as I am shopping for a new set of pots and pans as well. I am moving from electric to gas (thank goodness) and know I will need more substantial utensils. Please keep info and experiences coming.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:25 AM

11,557 posts, read 53,260,138 times
RE: Calphalon cookware.

We were given a bunch of this stuff ... both the hard anodized and the commercial teflon coated cookware (expensive!) ... for wedding presents.

Within 6 to 8 years, the hard anodized cookware wore through the hard coating, and that was with just the two of us using the pots/pans on a not very heavy useage since we have a lot of griswold and descoware that we use a lot.

The teflon coated cookware was very fragile and unforgiving of the times that it saw anything but a plastic or wooden spoon or spatula. It scratched through very quickly from those few times and wore out. With the exception of a two-egg pan that I use for scrambling eggs in for myself, all of that cookware was retired in just a few years.

We now use the big pots only for heating jars for canning, and two smaller pots for rice or pasta portions.

In my opinion, our Calphalon was not very good for durability, although it cooked well when new.

I'm still using our 30-50 year old griswold cast iron, griswold enamelware, descoware, and some LeCruset pieces we've picked up at Tuesday morning on close-out. Even a couple of old chipped griswold enamalware pieces still work beautifully, and my best condition enamelware will rival any teflon pan for non-stick as long as it's used with a little bit of butter/oil for cooking foods like eggs ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink