Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:39 PM

33 posts, read 106,047 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am looking to replace my non-stick cookware and would like to buy something that is dishwasher safe. Even though my present cookware was dishwasher safe I found the non stick coating started coming off in the dishwasher. I don't want to do dishes so what is the best cookware to put in a dishwasher

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 09:30 PM

534 posts, read 1,534,396 times
I don't know, but I do know that you don't want to put anything aluminum in the dishwasher (not that I would cook in aluminum). They changed the formulas in detergent last year and it makes the aluminum ICKY!!!

Old 09-07-2013, 09:40 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,871,647 times
The cheapest stuff you can find because it's basically going to be replaced in a year or two (or less). I'm not being sarcastic - I replace my non-stick frying pans every 2 years or so with another set of three purchased at Ross or Marshall's.

Old 09-07-2013, 11:11 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,116,742 times
I would never put my expensive cookware into the dishwasher.

The harsh dishwasher soap dries out the finish on pans. It also etches glass and acrylic, but most of my glassware can be replaceable, if need be, and the cloudy Pyrex cooks just fine.

My pans are coddled like the precious babies that they are. Hand washing only with only a sponge, no scrubbies. Not stacked to store, which might risk getting a scratch on them.

My expensive knives are carefully hand washed, also.

(My favorite drinking glass is acrylic and that one gets hand washed, too, because I don't want to risk damaging it. It's out of production, so it's not replaceable.)

Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,365,924 times
I also hate to do dishes, but I never put my cookware in the dishwasher. It only takes a few minutes to clean them. As you finish with them, just put them in the sink, fill with water and dish detergent (or dishwasher detergent or Efferdent for the really dirty dishes), and eat your meal. When you are finished, more than likely you can just swish the pots and pans, rinse them, and either dry them by hand or put them on a rack to dry.

Also, a dishwasher does not always get your things as clean as you would like.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:17 PM

303 posts, read 540,595 times
Well, since you asked about actually for in the dishwasher and not for advice about hand washing I'd check out these: Rachael Ray Hard Anodized II 10-pc. Nonstick Cookware Set: at Rachael Ray Store

I have some nice cast iron and enamel that I hand wash but for everyday low-maintenance cooking I use non-stick by Rachel Ray. I did a bunch of comparison shopping before DH bought me a set for my birthday over a year ago. I put a link up above to the set I have. Everything has held up great and I only put them in the dishwasher, no hand-washing for these. The saute pan has lost most of the non-stick coating but I literally use that one every single day (not kidding, I almost never eat out) so I'm not surprised. I'll probably be ordering a replacement one before the holidays. All the other pans are in just as good shape after a year plus and they get used a lot so I'd say go for it.

Old 09-07-2013, 06:38 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times
Almost any modern stainless pan, non-stick or regular, can be safely washed in a dishwasher. Just check the instructions. If your pans' coating came off in the dishwasher it was defective... not the dishwasher's fault. And if it was any major brand, you can get it replaced under warranty. I've done that.

Aluminum can darken in a dishwasher due to the alkalinity of the detergent, but it doesn't hurt anything.

Kitchen knives can be safely washed in a dishwasher if positioned in such a way that the edges don't bang against a rack or against each other.

The film that sometimes forms on glass can usually be removed. Instructions can be found online.

To help pot handles and knife handles last longer, turn off the drying cycle and let them air dry.

Old 03-27-2018, 05:01 PM

4,690 posts, read 10,429,964 times
tramontina tri ply from walmart (I think you can get it on amazon too, other places)

It's fully stainless, like a Much more cost-effective All-Clad. I don't use a dishwasher (2 people, doesn't make sense), but I doubt you could hurt these things with less than lots of blunt force.

If you're afraid of giving up the non-stick, I've found it to be a complete non-issue. Takes 2 things, properly warming the pan before putting anything in it and using a spray oil. My spray oil smokes when the pan is hot enough, but I can (and do, daily) cook over-easy eggs without issue.

Old 03-28-2018, 05:44 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
I never ever put my pots or pans in the dishwasher the detergent is too harsh I don't care what brand of detergent you use . And a lot of the cookware makers are putting on the back of the cookware not dishwasher safe again non sticks can get the finish ruined so I make a point to never ever put cookware in the dishwasher . I love my dishwasher .

Old 03-28-2018, 06:18 AM

24,628 posts, read 10,947,984 times
Everything goes into the dishwasher - pots/pans, sterling, china, crystal, ... but knives and cast iron.

Stainless steel will do fine. Williams Sonoma had a line of Calphalon which is dishwasher safe. I have had pans for almost ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink