Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 04:22 AM

25,693 posts, read 12,772,161 times

Advertisements

Florida is proud to have a 17% African American population

The USA has only 13.6% African American population, so this is another area Florida is on the leading edge of.

Florida is much more diverse than Northern States, like those in New England and the Upper Midwest particularly.

Thus, Floridians are more accustomed to racial diversity than the average State's residents, & much more so than most places, not in the South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 07:24 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
That may be a bit too far, but you can't deny heading to a low population, heavily red county wouldn't at least increase the odds of running into these types of scenarios.

Also what area is this?! Did you hear any banjos playing?
Many of my Chicago friends were scared of the countryside because of pop culture like they'd be lynched or some Pulp Fiction scenario or something.

Many of my small town friends were scared of the big city where a mugger was hiding behind every tree and mailbox.

Reality is something entirely different.

I see these threads and just kinda shake my head.

Old 02-07-2024, 08:43 AM

17,134 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Many of my Chicago friends were scared of the countryside because of pop culture like they'd be lynched or some Pulp Fiction scenario or something.

Many of my small town friends were scared of the big city where a mugger was hiding behind every tree and mailbox.

Exaggerated for sure, and no, they probably won't be lynched, but a new, non-white family from Chicago who "just moved into" a place like this
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.9407...8192?entry=ttu
is very likely to get harassed to some degree, or at the very least, face increased intimidation and pressure to move out.

Similarly, some small town folk definitely would set themselves up as easy targets for muggings in a big city.
A good friend of mine grew up in small town Florida, and has never really been in a "big city." I recently sent him pictures of Manhattan, DC, Chicago... Each time he seemed shocked that I was so comfortable there, talking about "be careful man!"
I was confused. Like, "careful about...?"
Then I decided to to a quick boys' weekend outing (me and my sons, he and his son) to I-Drive/Sea World in Orlando, and booked a hotel on I-Drive. I quickly understood why he was so insistent on the whole "be careful" thing. He was so frozen in fear and paranoid that he stuck out like a sore thumb. If you LOOK visibly uncomfortable in your surroundings, you're far more likely to become the victim of something like getting robbed, scammed, etc.

Old 02-08-2024, 07:33 AM

626 posts, read 400,285 times
Of course you shake your head, you’re white and most likely not in an interracial relationship (you would have stated it already if you were).

In other words, your experiences don’t really add much to this discussion aside from shaking your head and thinking those who actually live these experiences are paranoid…thanks for your contributions to the topic though.

Quote:

Last edited by silverct9a; 02-08-2024 at 08:18 AM..

Old 02-08-2024, 08:34 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Exaggerated for sure, and no, they probably won't be lynched, but a new, non-white family from Chicago who "just moved into" a place like this
LOL, I'm pretty sure that "place like this" would not be safe for any color..

...and I'm 100% sure that's not what the OP was thinking

Old 02-08-2024, 08:50 AM

17,134 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
LOL, I'm pretty sure that "place like this" would not be safe for any color..

...and I'm 100% sure that's not what the OP was thinking
LOL... Touché

Old 02-09-2024, 05:32 PM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Of course you shake your head, you’re white and most likely not in an interracial relationship (you would have stated it already if you were).

In other words, your experiences don’t really add much to this discussion aside from shaking your head and thinking those who actually live these experiences are paranoid…thanks for your contributions to the topic though.
I was in an interracial relationship, I used to belong to a 90% gay gym...I'm straight...and I have found stereotype after stereotype to be mostly the fears of people and not borne out in reality here in 2024.

If you move to a crap area....regardless of race, you're going to get messed with. So, don't move to the projects or a meth head trailer park.

Oh and please note, white people moving to some neighborhoods get harassed too. Sometimes over race, or religion or orientation. If you would like proof...just google. Your comments that I can't grasp bigotry because of my skin color are not reality.

On that note, I truly wish you the best with your move. There can be pockets in ugly parts of this country but the blanket swipe at FL seemed off. I mean, I can tell you places in Chicago not to move to.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:05 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:

Oh and please note, white people moving to some neighborhoods get harassed too.
Brownsville, Perrine, Liberty City.....dead....not harassed

Old 02-09-2024, 06:23 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I don’t live in FL, but in GA, 2 hours away, and I know the post is old, but I can’t believe they would have any issues as as interracial couple it this day and age in the south.

Old 02-13-2024, 04:20 PM

626 posts, read 400,285 times
I debated on responding to this due to not wanting to appear overly combative, but I must say your response doesn't pass my sniff test...a white guy with the word 'math' as his username who is practically telling us racism doesn't exist - I sense your interracial relationship was with perhaps an Asian woman.

Were you in an interracial relationship with a black woman? I ask because it would make a significant difference in your lived experiences (due to this country's history) than say a fair skinned Latina, or Asian woman.

Quote:
I was in an interracial relationship, I used to belong to a 90% gay gym...I'm straight...and I have found stereotype after stereotype to be mostly the fears of people and not borne out in reality here in 2024.

If you move to a crap area....regardless of race, you're going to get messed with. So, don't move to the projects or a meth head trailer park.

Oh and please note, white people moving to some neighborhoods get harassed too. Sometimes over race, or religion or orientation. If you would like proof...just google. Your comments that I can't grasp bigotry because of my skin color are not reality.

On that note, I truly wish you the best with your move. There can be pockets in ugly parts of this country but the blanket swipe at FL seemed off. I mean, I can tell you places in Chicago not to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida