Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:08 PM

4 posts, read 8,043 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
First post here and no doubt this one's been asked and answered before, but we're pretty much set on retiring to Fl and while it may not be for several years, we'd like to get the ball rolling as far as what areas to check out.

A little backround on us.
We've been north, west, east & south and have decided on Florida. I have familyl in Sarasota and love Siesta Key Beach. I've also been to Key West.
My wife and I keep saying that one of these years we're going to skip seeing mickey and just travel around the state to narrow our search, but have yet to do so.

We've been married for just about 17 years, and have two great sons.

We've both lived in Southern New Jersey our entire lives. (I did serve in the Marines for 4 years, then came back home, as I found the right girl and married her!).

My wife and I both will have pensions at retirement, with a projected combined pension income of around $45-$50k/yr. gross.
We will both be 50 at retirement.
Like a lot of folks, I've worked my entire life, starting at the family farm bailing hay and straw at 12yrs of age.
I plan on working when I retire, as I'll be young but we also wish to do a lot of traveling, too.

We are fortunate enough to have substantial savings, (still recovering like most, yet still socking more away, too.)

Our (two) kids will both be out of high school, so "uprooting" will not be an issue.

I hope I wasn't too boring/rambling for my first post, and I do apologize that it's undoubtably a common post, but I do appreciate any input.

Thanks,
Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 PM

13,257 posts, read 23,033,676 times
The list of nice really is long. Are you thinking urban/suburban/rural? All year arm, or something approximating seasons? Would you prefer a Southern, Latin, or Midwestern vibe? What hobbies are you interested in? How close to the beach? Are there health issues in your families?

Old 02-22-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The list of nice really is long. Are you thinking urban/suburban/rural? All year arm, or something approximating seasons? Would you prefer a Southern, Latin, or Midwestern vibe? What hobbies are you interested in? How close to the beach? Are there health issues in your families?
Lots to consider I know. Hard to put your needs and pertinent info. in one posting at the risk of rambling on..

We'll be full time residents.

Right now we live in the sticks. No cable, no cell signal and no high speed internet. (We've got satellite for tv and high speed, though)

We'd like to find a place that is on the quiet side. My old Dr. retired to an area somewhere just nort of West Palm Beach. He said it's quiet, but for the life of me I can't recall the name.

We do like the beach. As far as hobbies goes, we're so tied up with the kids' activities (and love it, btw) that we really don't have hobbies. We do like to do yardwork and gardening, if that counts.
As I mentioned, we'd like to travel more when we retire, and probably get into golf (I golf some, and my wife would like to give it a try).

Thankfullly, right now we're all healthy.

Thanks for the help,
Mark

Old 02-22-2010, 08:15 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,377,572 times
I would settle close to where the rest of the family is. Family is always good to have around, but especially as you age. You never know when you'll need someone to count on and family is usually the only ones you can.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:21 PM

492 posts, read 1,402,947 times
I bet the Dr. retired to Hobe Sound, make sure it's on your list of places to see. Have lunch at:
Harry & the Natives - Restaurant/Catering/Bakery/Takeout/Live Music
Try to make it on a raining day, so you will have "waterfront dining"...

Larry - Hobe Sound

Old 02-24-2010, 07:09 PM

86 posts, read 222,745 times
Hi Mark. I think you and I have the same plan. I am only 40, but am already planning for my move to Florida within the next 12 years. The kids will be in college by then. I still plan on working, but doing something I love to do and not have to worry about making ends meet since I plan on saving so that should not be an issue. As far as areas, we have looked specifically in the Central Florida area since this is close enough to everything including beaches. My plan is to hopefully buy a small manufactured home that has a golf course and pool. Some nice communities include Four Lakes, Swiss Golf, and The Plantation. All have web sites. Please keep in touch and let me know how your plan is going. How old are you and your wife currently?

Tony

Old 02-25-2010, 06:07 PM

Hey Tony,
Nice to hear another dreamer exists,lol!

My wife and I are both 40, and we have had it with NJ for quite some time. I can retire in 9 years, but will wait until our youngest son graduates high school, which will have us out of here in 10 years.

We're thinking that my first retirement year can be spent on finding the right spot and purchasing a home, then relocate when he gets out of school. That's the plan right now.
But then again, it could all go to crap, too...
As I mentioned in an earlier post, we currently live in the country, and while we don't wish to be too remote (does that even exist in Fl?), we do want some space, and my wife's not too fond of developements. (I don't mind as much).

My grandfather lives in Sarasota, in a gated community. Other than the cool gate opening, the homes, albeit very nice, are way to close together for us.

I plan on keeping an eye out on the boards here, so I'll be "seeing" you around.

Hang in there!
Mark

Old 02-25-2010, 08:22 PM

851 posts, read 2,470,462 times
Good luck to both of you. Hope you can find what you are looking for. You may want to stay on the west coast it isn't as bad as the east coast. On the east coast it's turning into a third world country, I don't know if it has spread that far yet.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:13 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,409,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
Good luck to both of you. Hope you can find what you are looking for. You may want to stay on the west coast it isn't as bad as the east coast. On the east coast it's turning into a third world country, I don't know if it has spread that far yet.
How's that, niota? We live in quiet ole Vero Beach, we have no crowds to speak of, all the amenities are here in town, i.e., mall, Best Buy, Home Depot, but they're not in our face, they're all on STR 60, we've got beaches, a Fresh Market grocery, and if anything, it's too quiet. Not looking very 3rd world-like here!

Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 PM

851 posts, read 2,470,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
How's that, niota? We live in quiet ole Vero Beach, we have no crowds to speak of, all the amenities are here in town, i.e., mall, Best Buy, Home Depot, but they're not in our face, they're all on STR 60, we've got beaches, a Fresh Market grocery, and if anything, it's too quiet. Not looking very 3rd world-like here!
So sorry, I meant to reference Palm Beach County area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida