Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
So sorry, I meant to reference Palm Beach County area.

Um.... no. PARTS of Palm Beach County are rough. Palm Springs, I'm afraid to say, has never been very desirable, hence its attraction for low income immigrants. As long as they abide by the law, who cares?

(PS: Crime in West Palm has gone down over 50% over the past ten years.... is that a result of encroaching third world influence?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 06:08 PM

851 posts, read 2,458,282 times
TriMT7 -
I have lived in and around Palm Springs all my life and it used to be a very nice and safe area, for the most part. The southend wasn't too good, but still safe. I walked all over the place as a kid. We never locked our doors day or night when I was growing up. Now, I would never do that. There are shootings and robberies all around us. And that includes Boynton and West Palm Beach. Maybe not in your area. Lucky you. Good luck hope you know spanish. Lake Worth and surrounding area stores are all becoming spanish stores. And if you need a job chances are you will need to speak spanish.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLORIDA TO NIOTA 2010 View Post
TriMT7 -
I have lived in and around Palm Springs all my life and it used to be a very nice and safe area, for the most part. The southend wasn't too good, but still safe. I walked all over the place as a kid. We never locked our doors day or night when I was growing up. Now, I would never do that. There are shootings and robberies all around us. And that includes Boynton and West Palm Beach. Maybe not in your area. Lucky you. Good luck hope you know spanish. Lake Worth and surrounding area stores are all becoming spanish stores. And if you need a job chances are you will need to speak spanish.

Crime in Palm Beach county was much worse in the 80s and 90s than it is today. The statistics bear that fact out.

I don't know how old you are, but there are precious few places left in the United States, save for tiny little towns, that people still leave their doors unlocked.

Your fear of Spanish may be understandable, but garners very little sympathy in a state with a Spanish name. Perhaps you feel uncomfortable being a minority? Spanish stores serve that demographic. My neighbor is married to a white Latina woman, and she is a very nice person. Spanish speaking people come in all shades and races. You should get to know some, as you may find out you have a lot in common. In fact, you may already know "Hispanics" and not even realize it!

Oh, and if not for Spanish stores, in a lot of places in and near Palm Springs (again, too far from the water and the charm of coastal Palm Beach County, and not far enough to be part of the shiny new Western part of the county), if it weren't for the Spanish stores, there's BE NO stores.

Fear of the other is very motivating for a lot of people, and I wish YOU good luck in Niota.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:59 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
[quote=TriMT7;13075131]Crime in Palm Beach county was much worse in the 80s and 90s than it is today. The statistics bear that fact out.

I don't know how old you are, but there are precious few places left in the United States, save for tiny little towns, that people still leave their doors unlocked.

Pittsburgh is not a tiny little town, yet is nothing close to the way that you have implied with your generalization. When posters write of Florida and speak of crime, they tend to generalize (as you have) as to its relative standing within the "improving statistics" , the self-defined "local pockets" of crime always just outside of their limited domicile, and "it's like this everywhere".

I have lived in the close outskirts of the city of Pittsburgh for over 50 years, and I have never felt the overriding need to lock our doors, windows, even our cars. We sleep with our front/back doors and windows fully open during the late spring, summer, and early fall. Car thefts are so rare that the only time that we lock our cars is when we are mall hopping and when we need to place packages in plain view. I am not an exception to the rule, however, as I can tell you that most of my neighbors live their lives in much the same manner. I do agree, however, that there are very few areas of Florida that I would consider doing the same.

Too many areas of Florida are transient and are generally missing the strong sense of community and the family values that stabilize it against those who would do it (or its citizens) harm. For me, and my family, that is our biggest hang-up about becoming even part-year residents of Florida.... we do not wish to lose the sense of community/generational values that not only protect us now, but in the foreseeable future of my/our grandchildren. Unless you have lived and experienced this invigorating sense of a community pride and values, you may never realize its impact.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Crime in Palm Beach county was much worse in the 80s and 90s than it is today. The statistics bear that fact out.
Pittsburgh is not a tiny little town, yet is nothing close to the way that you have implied with your generalization. When posters write of Florida and speak of crime, they tend to generalize (as you have) as to its relative standing within the "improving statistics" , the self-defined "local pockets" of crime always just outside of their limited domicile, and "it's like this everywhere".
Why on god's green earth are you bringing up Pittsburgh? If you live in Pittsburgh and don't lock your doors, you are taking the same risk as the average resident in West Palm Beach does. If you actually live in some small town on the outskirts, when then woop-dee-doo. Plenty of small little towns in Florida where people don't lock their doors and know their neighbors.

BTW, the crime rate for both cities (Pittsburgh and WPB) in 2008, according to City-data, is basically the same overall. Definitely no way to say that Pittsburgh is much safer than WPB.

I have been down this path before. The problem is, people do not seem to think very deeply about a subject. They fail to realize a county may have doubled in population in 20 years, and so if they HEAR of more crime "overall," they think, "crime is getting crazy!" Meanwhile, crime PER CAPITA is going down, borne out by statistics with a lot better memory than most posters.

Palm Springs? Well, like I said, maybe the crime has gone up in that particular village. Has it effected "ToNiota" personally? It's not like Palm Springs was "the place to be" one day, and then went to crap the next. I think the real "fear" is the fact that the brown people are moving to the city, even though the city remains overwhelmingly white. The poster can make excuses, but his/her own posts reveal the real reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredCoach
I have lived in the close outskirts of the city of Pittsburgh for over 50 years, and I have never felt the overriding need to lock our doors, windows, even our cars. We sleep with our front/back doors and windows fully open during the late spring, summer, and early fall. Car thefts are so rare that the only time that we lock our cars is when we are mall hopping and when we need to place packages in plain view. I am not an exception to the rule, however, as I can tell you that most of my neighbors live their lives in much the same manner. I do agree, however, that there are very few areas of Florida that I would consider doing the same.
You and "your neighbors" are EXACTLY the "pocket of no crime" that you lament me for discussing above. Pittsburgh is no safe haven. As mentioned above, it has about the same crime rate as West Palm, and actually more crime than Tampa, and about the same as Fort Lauderdale. Good on you that you can sleep with your front door open, but I would never do that even deep in the country with no neighbors for five miles.

I do, however, sleep with my windows open as well when there is nice weather.... oh yeah, and so do my neighbors.

BTW... my mother, who lives IN FLORIDA, currently in one of America's "safest cities" has had her house broken into a couple years ago when that city actually TOPPED the "nations safest city" list. We think we know who did it (neighborhood kids and former friends of my brother). But, Crime happens EVERYWHERE. Don't let complacency and old time feelings of neighborhood goodness make you the next unsuspecting victim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredCoach
Too many areas of Florida are transient and are generally missing the strong sense of community and the family values that stabilize it against those who would do it (or its citizens) harm. For me, and my family, that is our biggest hang-up about becoming even part-year residents of Florida.... we do not wish to lose the sense of community/generational values that not only protect us now, but in the foreseeable future of my/our grandchildren. Unless you have lived and experienced this invigorating sense of a community pride and values, you may never realize its impact.
Welcome to the sunbelt. You know, where people are still moving, and will continue to move even more when the economy gets better.

As far as "community pride and values," I live it right now, thank you very much. In fact, the neighborhood block party is this week, we have a published neighborhood cookbook, community website, decorating contests, home tours.....there are people in my neighborhood who have lived here for decades. Oh yeah, and I live 1 mile from downtown. Not flung out in the suburbs, or behind some big wall, cowering in fear of them thar brown people.

Even in gated communities, however, it is possible to have a sense of community. My line of work means I am currently working on an issue between residents and an HOA board in Western County .... in interviewing residents, they all say they love their communities, love their neighbors, etc.

I'm sorry if neither you, nor any of your family members were ever able to 'connect' with other people in Palm Beach County. Sometimes, however, when you can't fit in, it's not a problem with "the other people" around you.

Stay safe.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:17 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark from Southern NJ View Post
Lots to consider I know. Hard to put your needs and pertinent info. in one posting at the risk of rambling on..

We'll be full time residents.

Right now we live in the sticks. No cable, no cell signal and no high speed internet. (We've got satellite for tv and high speed, though)

We'd like to find a place that is on the quiet side. My old Dr. retired to an area somewhere just nort of West Palm Beach. He said it's quiet, but for the life of me I can't recall the name.

We do like the beach. As far as hobbies goes, we're so tied up with the kids' activities (and love it, btw) that we really don't have hobbies. We do like to do yardwork and gardening, if that counts.
As I mentioned, we'd like to travel more when we retire, and probably get into golf (I golf some, and my wife would like to give it a try).

Thankfullly, right now we're all healthy.

Thanks for the help,
Mark
Many of Florida's retirees are choosing to move to Alabama as is evident by Alabama's current growth vs Florida's growth rate.

Florida&#39s population loss is Alabama&#39s gain | Dothan Eagle (http://www2.dothaneagle.com/dea/news/local/article/floridas_population_loss_is_alabamas_gain/89285/ - broken link)

Old 02-27-2010, 09:52 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
You may also want to take a look at St. Simons, GA which is close to the Florida border.

St Simons Guide - The Official Website of Saint Simons Island and the Golden Isles. St Simons Accommodations, Restaurants, Events, Entertainment, and more!

Old 02-27-2010, 10:36 AM

80 posts, read 205,042 times
I am a 24 year old woman and I grew up in Pensacola, FL. My husband is military so unfortunatlely I have not lived in Florida for the past 6 years. I do, however, make frequent visits back to Pensacola and Orlando. My husband is from Orlando. Pensacola is a beautiful city! The beach is incredible, there are great restaurants of all food types, it has a nice southern feel but with a bit of a modernized vibe.From a young person's perspective, many of my friends are telling me it is hard to find a good job in Pensacola at the moment. I love Pensacola, however, it is a bit too small for me. I recommend it for a retiring couple. Homes are cheap buying or renting compared to other areas. People are friendly. Weather is gorgeous. I can only suggest to you what I consider where we want to live. Later on, we plan to reside in the suburb area of Orlando (Lake Mary/Altamonte Springs/St. Cloud). That is for other reasons that may not apply to you. For example, medschool and more opportunities for a young person.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:02 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why on god's green earth are you bringing up Pittsburgh? If you live in Pittsburgh and don't lock your doors, you are taking the same risk as the average resident in West Palm Beach does. If you actually live in some small town on the outskirts, when then woop-dee-doo. Plenty of small little towns in Florida where people don't lock their doors and know their neighbors.

BTW, the crime rate for both cities (Pittsburgh and WPB) in 2008, according to City-data, is basically the same overall. Definitely no way to say that Pittsburgh is much safer than WPB.

I have been down this path before. The problem is, people do not seem to think very deeply about a subject. They fail to realize a county may have doubled in population in 20 years, and so if they HEAR of more crime "overall," they think, "crime is getting crazy!" Meanwhile, crime PER CAPITA is going down, borne out by statistics with a lot better memory than most posters.

Palm Springs? Well, like I said, maybe the crime has gone up in that particular village. Has it effected "ToNiota" personally? It's not like Palm Springs was "the place to be" one day, and then went to crap the next. I think the real "fear" is the fact that the brown people are moving to the city, even though the city remains overwhelmingly white. The poster can make excuses, but his/her own posts reveal the real reasons.

You and "your neighbors" are EXACTLY the "pocket of no crime" that you lament me for discussing above. Pittsburgh is no safe haven. As mentioned above, it has about the same crime rate as West Palm, and actually more crime than Tampa, and about the same as Fort Lauderdale. Good on you that you can sleep with your front door open, but I would never do that even deep in the country with no neighbors for five miles.

I do, however, sleep with my windows open as well when there is nice weather.... oh yeah, and so do my neighbors.

BTW... my mother, who lives IN FLORIDA, currently in one of America's "safest cities" has had her house broken into a couple years ago when that city actually TOPPED the "nations safest city" list. We think we know who did it (neighborhood kids and former friends of my brother). But, Crime happens EVERYWHERE. Don't let complacency and old time feelings of neighborhood goodness make you the next unsuspecting victim.

Welcome to the sunbelt. You know, where people are still moving, and will continue to move even more when the economy gets better.

As far as "community pride and values," I live it right now, thank you very much. In fact, the neighborhood block party is this week, we have a published neighborhood cookbook, community website, decorating contests, home tours.....there are people in my neighborhood who have lived here for decades. Oh yeah, and I live 1 mile from downtown. Not flung out in the suburbs, or behind some big wall, cowering in fear of them thar brown people.

Even in gated communities, however, it is possible to have a sense of community. My line of work means I am currently working on an issue between residents and an HOA board in Western County .... in interviewing residents, they all say they love their communities, love their neighbors, etc.

I'm sorry if neither you, nor any of your family members were ever able to 'connect' with other people in Palm Beach County. Sometimes, however, when you can't fit in, it's not a problem with "the other people" around you.

Stay safe.
Your post is very well thought out and clear; I stand corrected. Maybe I have been "too spoiled" by living in generally crime-free area for most of my life (that has not deteriorated over time). By the way, these are the most recent crime statistics for the area I live that I could find.... it might explain why I/we face such a culture shock when visiting family in West Palm.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 03-30-2010 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-27-2010, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 8,023 times
Original poster here...Just wanted to say thanks for the input / info.
It is appreciated.

Thanks again,
Mark
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida