Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 06:16 AM

57 posts, read 848,176 times

Advertisements

In regards to somewhere with, "no or little crime"....

There are a lot of areas where crime rates are higher than others, but a lot has to do with how they are reported. You shouldn't be too worried about robberies or home invasions. Most of the time these are not random, and are pre-planned targeting a specific person or residence. 95% of home invasions are drug related.

As far as burglaries go, if you lock your doors, have adequate lighting, and know your neighbors, you should be okay. A lot has to do with the population and economy in a particular area. Larger inner cities have a higher rate, but that is because they have a larger population, and more variables. (homeless, younger population, etc)

Old 12-16-2009, 08:50 AM

31 posts, read 120,073 times
My kids moved to Port St. Joe. It's safe, quiet, friendly, and small. I do mean a small town. There is plenty of access to larger communities, but this place is a deep port, so there isn't much tourist traffic for the beach. Those guys go up the road about 10 miles. That keeps traffic light and slow, mostly fishermen and photographers and families. The schools stack up quite well. My daughter did a full comparision and visited several times before settling on PSJ. I was suprised by the lack of security. As it's just past the hot teenage vacation region, there is little to no trouble, low crime, really low violent crime, but burglary does exist anywhere there are more than 50 people in one spot.

Housing is rediculously cheap compared to Albuquerque, NM. I'm going to go check it out over Christmas. If my license will transfer, I'll be moving over the summer! Good luck with the search. E

Old 12-16-2009, 10:06 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amax41 View Post
Actually FLA17, your question won't provide many answers. I have found that on a national scale an area might rate as a crime factor of 9 (real high) and the people are "what crime?" ..... you'd be better served looking at these types of metrics to answer your questions. Including that Florida's 4 major real estate markets have landed into the top 10 of Forbes most over priced metro areas.....
Weston, FL, 33326 - MLS #F1039017 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

https://www.city-data.com/city/Weston-Florida.html

Homes are still overpriced relative to the market and have some room to drop, therefore I wouldn't reccomend buying one. Still, that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of homes in safe areas for the OP's price range, even if they are smaller like the one above.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:35 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times

This house is pretty freakin sweet. It's 269k, but it's in Miami, not Weston. I got this picture from the realtor's website that Compelled linked. 3600+ sq ft, 6 BR/4 BA, built in 2006 and not a foreclosure or short sale --- wow ---

Sidenote: I find it kind of odd that the realtor put "MBA" after her name. LOL. Trying a little too hard I think, lol.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post

This house is pretty freakin sweet. It's 269k, but it's in Miami, not Weston. I got this picture from the realtor's website that Compelled linked. 3600+ sq ft, 6 BR/4 BA, built in 2006 and not a foreclosure or short sale --- wow ---

Sidenote: I find it kind of odd that the realtor put "MBA" after her name. LOL. Trying a little too hard I think, lol.
I sent a link of a 1400 square foot home in Weston...that house is actually down towards Homestead in a crappy area and if anything overpriced for the area. That area was inexpensive even in the bubble. Down that way you can find better deals in Keys Gate IMO since its a better area.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:44 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,926,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I sent a link of a 1400 square foot home in Weston...that house is actually down towards Homestead in a crappy area and if anything overpriced for the area. That area was inexpensive even in the bubble. Down that way you can find better deals in Keys Gate IMO since its a better area.

Yeah, I know. If you click on the link you provided of the 1400 sq ft home in Weston, you can then click on the realtor's website, which has the house I copy and pasted. It's too bad the house I copy and pasted isnt in a good area as it is nice and big. The house you posted was decent, but for $240k, it was a little small and the yard was tiny, imo.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Yeah, I know. If you click on the link you provided of the 1400 sq ft home in Weston, you can then click on the realtor's website, which has the house I copy and pasted. It's too bad the house I copy and pasted isnt in a good area as it is nice and big. The house you posted was decent, but for $240k, it was a little small and the yard was tiny, imo.
I agree that the house in Weston was a little small, but was mainly just proving that at least decent homes ARE available in "safe" neighborhoods within the OP's price range. As far as that house in Homestead, you can find similar priced, or at least not much higher priced homes in the Pembroke Pines or Miramar area which IMO is a much better area.

3331 Southwest 175Th Av, Miramar, FL, 33029 - MLS #H869348 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/3331-Southwest-175Th-Av_Miramar_FL_33029_1114550806 - broken link)

Miramar/Silver Lakes- That house might be a foreclosure or short sale (doesn't say) but for not much more, this house is in a MUCH better neighborhood and a decent (if not top-notch) school district.

10780 S Saratoga Dr, Cooper City, FL, 33026 - MLS #F1017163 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

This house for 20k more is a little smaller but is in EMBASSY LAKES in Cooper City. Pretty much the best school district and very little crime, and in a gated community, a relatively exclusive and established one at that.

510 Nw 207Th Av, Pembroke Pines, FL, 33029 - MLS #N266640 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Pembroke Pines/Chapel Trail area, very established and quiet area, very good schools.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Miramar_FL_33029_1114483574 (broken link)

Here is a smaller but cute house in Miramar for the same price as the Miami one. Again, an "above average" area without a huge risk for burglary.

To give you an idea about the area, these are the kind of homes that exist surrounding those I linked you to in west Miramar/Pembroke Pines area- http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...029_1106300472. Those houses are actually surrounded by some serious wealth. Also, there are tons of 3-4 bedroom, 2,000 square feet, $200,000 homes in that area, and while it's not "Weston", it's still a high quality area to live in.

As you can see a little bit more money or a little less space goes a long way in terms of overall neighborhood quality. I would also rank any of these areas as much better than Waterford Lakes/Avalon Park, btw.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 12-16-2009 at 03:11 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 06:35 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
A lot is left up to the individual to stay safe. If there are safe towns in NY, CA, IL, etc then there are safe towns in FL.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:39 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Under $240K in my area (low crime, good schools, actual winters)

EmeraldCoastHomesOnline.com

$300-$350K in the same area:

Old 12-18-2009, 05:12 PM

316 posts, read 1,037,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSch7 View Post
In regards to somewhere with, "no or little crime"....

There are a lot of areas where crime rates are higher than others, but a lot has to do with how they are reported. You shouldn't be too worried about robberies or home invasions. Most of the time these are not random, and are pre-planned targeting a specific person or residence. 95% of home invasions are drug related.

As far as burglaries go, if you lock your doors, have adequate lighting, and know your neighbors, you should be okay. A lot has to do with the population and economy in a particular area. Larger inner cities have a higher rate, but that is because they have a larger population, and more variables. (homeless, younger population, etc)
nice try - wrong - just had one next village over and it was not drug related we know the victims. nice try though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida