Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 01:34 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Ryan is FROM FLORIDA, born and raised..... And most of it IS right.
Being "from" somewhere doesn't make an opinion more valid.

Indeed, I am "from" the Northeast (New Jersey), but have very little knowledge of what it's like to live there, work there, pay taxes there, etc., since I haven't lived there in years and years.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:41 PM

707 posts, read 1,467,103 times
I come from Upstate New York and I fine that there is more places to do stuff up their than here in Tampa. I also noticed that my Fiancee would be making 20,000 more for his career than he is here. I also noticed that I could get a 5 bedroom house in the Rochester area for less money than a 3 bedroom house here in the Tampa Palms Area.

Last edited by cheerbaby112; 07-20-2010 at 05:30 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,497 times
I have lived in Broward County for almost two years (Hollywood and Ft Lauderdale) after living most of my life in California and Hawaii and I can't wait to get out! Urban blight, slums, crude uneducated people with no class or manners, horrible crime rates, and the worst traffic and bad drivers of anyplace I have lived or visited in the USA (worse than LA or NYC even). Mediocrity prevails as far as shopping goes and I have yet to find a restaurant that has decent food! Bad overpriced food. The only thing this area has going for it is the weather (if you can endure the long, humid summers and lots of rain). Oh, and I forgot the corrupt politicians and policemen (2 of Broward County's Commisioners are in jail and the Hollywood Police Dept has earned a reputation as being one of the corrupt in the nation). And, you can't miss the flood of lower middle class retirees from NYC and other points in the NE who think this place is heaven and are moving down here in droves.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:22 PM

360 posts, read 1,909,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanruss View Post
I have lived in Broward County for almost two years (Hollywood and Ft Lauderdale) after living most of my life in California and Hawaii and I can't wait to get out! Urban blight, slums, crude uneducated people with no class or manners, horrible crime rates, and the worst traffic and bad drivers of anyplace I have lived or visited in the USA (worse than LA or NYC even). Mediocrity prevails as far as shopping goes and I have yet to find a restaurant that has decent food! Bad overpriced food. The only thing this area has going for it is the weather (if you can endure the long, humid summers and lots of rain). Oh, and I forgot the corrupt politicians and policemen (2 of Broward County's Commisioners are in jail and the Hollywood Police Dept has earned a reputation as being one of the corrupt in the nation). And, you can't miss the flood of lower middle class retirees from NYC and other points in the NE who think this place is heaven and are moving down here in droves.
Florida is a big state and not every town and city and it's people are this way. Yes the weather in summertime is long, hot, and humid all over. That we do have in common down here.

Old 12-15-2010, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 7,718 times
Default moving to florida?

Oh to the em gee, i just spent way too much time reading pages and pages of these posts to help me in my decision to move to Florida which is a lifetime dream of mine. I am discouraged after reading all these posts. My sister and I both live in the Chicagoland area and we are hell-bent on living in Florida, despite what everyone says. We know many people who have moved back to Illinois from Florida and we are ready to schedule them for a lobotomy (sp.?). If the posts are correct, it is sad to read that so many rude people live down there. I think that would drive me crazy. Also bad drivers...Chicago people let you in their lane and basically know how to drive...for the most part anywhooo. Thanks to everyone for all your postings, the guy who really got me was the one whose daughter finally played outside in MA but NEVER went outside in Florida??? what???? my kids are outside all day in Illinios, jumping from pool to pool in the neighborhood and catching lightning bugs at night, going to the park, etc. And who was it that said they couldn't put their daughter on a swing for fear of her getting burned? i was cracking up!!!!! Oh well, guess I'll just have to enjoy vacays down there and nothing more....

Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM

360 posts, read 1,909,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishL2367 View Post
Oh to the em gee, i just spent way too much time reading pages and pages of these posts to help me in my decision to move to Florida which is a lifetime dream of mine. I am discouraged after reading all these posts. My sister and I both live in the Chicagoland area and we are hell-bent on living in Florida, despite what everyone says. We know many people who have moved back to Illinois from Florida and we are ready to schedule them for a lobotomy (sp.?). If the posts are correct, it is sad to read that so many rude people live down there. I think that would drive me crazy. Also bad drivers...Chicago people let you in their lane and basically know how to drive...for the most part anywhooo. Thanks to everyone for all your postings, the guy who really got me was the one whose daughter finally played outside in MA but NEVER went outside in Florida??? what???? my kids are outside all day in Illinios, jumping from pool to pool in the neighborhood and catching lightning bugs at night, going to the park, etc. And who was it that said they couldn't put their daughter on a swing for fear of her getting burned? i was cracking up!!!!! Oh well, guess I'll just have to enjoy vacays down there and nothing more....
My advice is to really think it through about such a big move and don't let your decision be persuaded by what people say on this board. Some people are just negative in spirit and grumpy in life and want everyone else to be miserable. There are going to be pros and cons about living anywhere you choose but if it's something you really want, I think a person should do what they wish in life and make their own opinions about a place once they move. I stayed off this forum for months when I moved here and used that time to decide that I really like it here and it is not that bad. Having lived here this past summer I can tell you I understand why kids and people stay inside during the hottest part of the day, because it does get humid hot down here and was 110 by noon most days but I still managed to get outside and to the beaches as much as I could and suck it up. The humid heat is just part of living in Florida.

Old 12-16-2010, 04:58 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MishL2367 View Post
That would be me. I do bring her out to our playground when the sun has just about gone down. This time of the year she goes out more often. We ride our bikes around the community about every night. Except for when it was windy and really cold. When summer comes back in April, we go back to indoor life. June we are going back to MA for good. Even though up there winter is like summer here, you spend a lot of time indoors.

You have to come down here and try it for yourself if it is what you really want. You could end up liking it.

Old 12-16-2010, 05:27 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
If I ever wanted to find my kids from the time they were old enough to go outside by themselves until now the majority of the time they were outside somewhere.
Between soccer, baseball or just hanging out with friends outside they would find things to do.
Yes, sometimes they did have friends over or sometimes they were at a friends house and were inside but it is not as if they were stuck inside all the time.

MishL, my suggestion is if you are looking for a change don't just move from one urban area in one state to an urban area in another state. Check out all types of areas. I am probably in the minority but when I left NYC I did not want to live someplace where I lived right next to someone, I wanted space. I did have to do an apartment for a while but now have my space and am very happy here.

My kids are getting a good education, my daughter starts college in Jan., my son starts next fall and my other daughter is still in HS but I am happy with the education they received. When you look at school rankings go to education weeks website. Their rankings use the same criteria for all states rather than looking at how each state ranks themselves.

Florida isn't for everyone but it must be great for many since the population just keeps growing.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:39 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,734,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
If I ever wanted to find my kids from the time they were old enough to go outside by themselves until now the majority of the time they were outside somewhere.
Between soccer, baseball or just hanging out with friends outside they would find things to do.
Yes, sometimes they did have friends over or sometimes they were at a friends house and were inside but it is not as if they were stuck inside all the time.

MishL, my suggestion is if you are looking for a change don't just move from one urban area in one state to an urban area in another state. Check out all types of areas. I am probably in the minority but when I left NYC I did not want to live someplace where I lived right next to someone, I wanted space. I did have to do an apartment for a while but now have my space and am very happy here.

My kids are getting a good education, my daughter starts college in Jan., my son starts next fall and my other daughter is still in HS but I am happy with the education they received. When you look at school rankings go to education weeks website. Their rankings use the same criteria for all states rather than looking at how each state ranks themselves.

Florida isn't for everyone but it must be great for many since the population just keeps growing.
Mike: About the population growing, a year or so back people were commenting on the fact that more people were leaving Florida than coming in. Has that trend reversed itself? Just wondering.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:05 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,651,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Mike: About the population growing, a year or so back people were commenting on the fact that more people were leaving Florida than coming in. Has that trend reversed itself? Just wondering.
They were using a Univ. of Florida study that was off by 150,000 the other way the year before so not a trustworthy source.

They based it on utility turn ons and turn offs which does not take in to account many units that were never occupied and just had power turned on by those trying to sell but never occupied.

When times got tight many of those shut off the power so in effect when it was turned on they counted a move in and when turned off counted someone moving out of the state without anyone ever moving in or out.

Census projections never showed a loss of population as far as I know. Only a minimal gain last year but still a gain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida