Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 03:00 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times

Advertisements

Christmas in Florida is just plain horrible. It's like that joke of Christmas in July, only here its the real thing in December.

Why bother at all.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:22 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
Amen!!!

I got a microscopic bit used to a Florida Christmas, I prayed it was cold, cloudy, and rainy out, or anything to keep it from being sunny and 80 outside. We just kept the blinds closed. It was Christmas, but it never felt really Christmasy to me.

This year I get my New England Christmas being I moved up here. Of course by the middle of January I will be done with the snow except for cross country skiing. I hope it is a white Christmas here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
There's nothing better than a white Christmas............ sitting by the fireplace drinking hot cocoa or egg nog and just watching it snow outside knowing that you don't have to go anywhere. It's very relaxing.

Now that's a REAL Christmas.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:30 AM

1,555 posts, read 4,148,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Amen!!!

I got a microscopic bit used to a Florida Christmas, I prayed it was cold, cloudy, and rainy out, or anything to keep it from being sunny and 80 outside. We just kept the blinds closed. It was Christmas, but it never felt really Christmasy to me.

This year I get my New England Christmas being I moved up here. Of course by the middle of January I will be done with the snow except for cross country skiing. I hope it is a white Christmas here.
Some of it probably depends on where one spent Christmases as a kid. Growing up in Florida, Florida Christmases couldn't have seemed "not like Christmas" to me, and I liked the fact that if you got something like a bicycle or skateboard for Christmas, you could take it outside and use it right then. Of course, that also meant that you didn't get things like snowmobiles for Christmas, lol.

. . . anyway, I think it has something to do with where one grew up, and those nostalgic associations that make someplace "home" in the more figurative sense.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:36 AM

I do agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tungsten_Udder View Post
Some of it probably depends on where one spent Christmases as a kid. Growing up in Florida, Florida Christmases couldn't have seemed "not like Christmas" to me, and I liked the fact that if you got something like a bicycle or skateboard for Christmas, you could take it outside and use it right then. Of course, that also meant that you didn't get things like snowmobiles for Christmas, lol.

. . . anyway, I think it has something to do with where one grew up, and those nostalgic associations that make someplace "home" in the more figurative sense.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:33 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
OH, Christmas in Florida is just different and can really be beautiful - I love the palm trees over the water all illuminated in lights, and there are incredible boat parades around. Santa rides in a convertible with flamingos instead of a sleigh and reindeer.

The only thing I don't like is when we get one of those years where it's kind of hot around December, I like it on the cooler side which I think this year will be!

Old 10-30-2008, 04:51 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,962,054 times
Christmas is not about the weather it`s about Family and giving it is internal not external like weather.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:29 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Default Got neither family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
Christmas is not about the weather it`s about Family and giving it is internal not external like weather.
nor weather in Florida.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
No family here, either. Just me and hubby, so a Florida Christmas is just fine for us - we usually just go out to eat someplace anyway, nothing more.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 PM

I think Christmas is internal AND external. It's all about the feelings of the holidays and to some of us cold, snow, and a warm fireplace on Christmas eve is the way we like it. Family members all together exchanging gifts and being together.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:50 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,337 times
Well...for us Christmas is a nonissue as we don't celebrate it. We usually travel around that time of year anyway.

We are very happy with our move to Florida. My husband actually has MORE opportunitues here and they pay better as well. The schools are terrible but my daughter went to private up north so its not a big deal to send her to private here as well. I find many of the people to be friendly, and so much to do in the Tampa Bay area. I do think crime is higher here, although statistics say its the same, but stay within decent areas and it should not affect you. Although, for the record, I would not be comfortable living here without a security alarm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida