Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Florida a good place to visit, but a bad place to live?
Yes! 296 52.02%
No. 273 47.98%
Voters: 569. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 01:05 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The stats are pulled from the International Monetary Fund's statistics concerning the GDP.

If anyone was TRULY interested in challenging the data, pull out the statistics for individual state GDP and compare.

It's amazing how a wikipedia article that at least CITES its source is attacked for "credibility problems," yet no similar call or concern over the non-sourced and questionable wholesale claims of other posters.

Here's another cite for you, which actually casts FLorida in an even BETTER light, comparing ITS GDP with that of SOUTH KOREA:

131 – US States Renamed For Countries With Similar GDPs « Strange Maps

And this link, which states that five states, including Florida, make up more than 40% of the USA's entire GDP: http://www.mybudget360.com/wp-conten...gdp-states.png

Sorry folks, but no matter how "unreliable" you think an outside source is that at least HAS statistics to back up its findings, those outside sources are 100X more reliable than "my cousin Jim Bob lost his job in Florida, and so Florida has no jobs." Or, "I can't find a job making more than $8/hour working at a restaurant, so you too won't be able to do any better."
When the first line of site is a disclaimer, or a quest for authenticity (as Wikipedia has done with this "study"), one has to question whether that information being shared is reality or a figment of some individual's imagination. I won't form personal biases when MSN calls Jacksonville one of the most depressed cities of the country based upon some convoluted and questionable criteria/numbers either. MSN HAS statistics to enhance the perceived validity of their study, as well, but it is too easy to think that because someone has attached numbers that the information must be accurate. I don't know what is worse in one's attempt to find truth .... a person who fabricates or a person who fabricates with numbers. Statistics and truth are not necessarily related.... You are wrong for demeaning the thoughts of those who "live the life" in favor of those who "create the numbers".

Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
When the first line of site is a disclaimer, or a quest for authenticity (as Wikipedia has done with this "study"), one has to question whether that information being shared is reality or a figment of some individual's imagination. I won't form personal biases when MSN calls Jacksonville one of the most depressed cities of the country based upon some convoluted and questionable criteria/numbers either. MSN HAS statistics to enhance the perceived validity of their study, as well, but it is too easy to think that because someone has attached numbers that the information must be accurate. I don't know what is worse in one's attempt to find truth .... a person who fabricates or a person who fabricates with numbers. Statistics and truth are not necessarily related.... You are wrong for demeaning the thoughts of those who "live the life" in favor of those who "create the numbers".

No. What MSN did was take a VERIFIABLE set of data, and then draw a SUBJECTIVE conclusion from it.

That is completely different from the Wikipedia post which merely posted GDP figures on a list. No subjectivity involved in ranking people by height, for example, when one can actually get out a tape measure and measure the people in a sample.

If, however, I took a sample like, "Percent blonde women in a city" and then did like MSN did, and said, "X city is the sexiest, based on the criteria of % blonde women," and "Y city is the least sexy, based on % brunettes," THEN you would actually have room to critique.

If you are STILL trying to make an issue about my using Wikipedia as a shortcut, then please see the sources on the bottom of the Wikipedia page -- they are there for "it doesn't jive with what I thought" skeptics such as yourself.

BTW, I am not wrong for demeaning the thoughts of those who "live the life." I AM, however, demeaning subjective and non-sourced sweeping conclusions based on "feelings" meant to stand in as a substitute for analysis based on something a bit more than "feelings."

Old 05-29-2009, 01:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
For official gub'mint statistics, go to:

BEA News Release (GDP by State)

And click on 'Full Release and Tables' in the top right corner.

As of 2007, the GDP of Florida was roughly equal to that of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and Rhode Island combined. (Table 5)

Old 05-29-2009, 02:42 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
The stats are pulled from the International Monetary Fund's statistics concerning the GDP.

If anyone was TRULY interested in challenging the data, pull out the statistics for individual state GDP and compare.

It's amazing how a wikipedia article that at least CITES its source is attacked for "credibility problems," yet no similar call or concern over the non-sourced and questionable wholesale claims of other posters.

Here's another cite for you, which actually casts FLorida in an even BETTER light, comparing ITS GDP with that of SOUTH KOREA:

131 – US States Renamed For Countries With Similar GDPs « Strange Maps

And this link, which states that five states, including Florida, make up more than 40% of the USA's entire GDP: http://www.mybudget360.com/wp-conten...gdp-states.png

Sorry folks, but no matter how "unreliable" you think an outside source is that at least HAS statistics to back up its findings, those outside sources are 100X more reliable than "my cousin Jim Bob lost his job in Florida, and so Florida has no jobs." Or, "I can't find a job making more than $8/hour working at a restaurant, so you too won't be able to do any better."
I would have to look for it but in like the last month I read where the unemployment rate for collage grads is around 4% with low educated minorities at 16% and everyone else somewhere in between. Stats can be deceiving. You need to see the stats inside of the stats.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
I would have to look for it but in like the last month I read where the unemployment rate for collage grads is around 4% with low educated minorities at 16% and everyone else somewhere in between. Stats can be deceiving. You need to see the stats inside of the stats.
Stats can be deceiving. But if I cannot even get people to look at stats in general, there's no point in discussing "stats within stats."

When people flaunt verifiably WRONG statistics on this board like, "Everyone in Florida works in hotels or construction," it's not reasonable to expect to ever take the discussion to another level.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:36 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,036,553 times
Quote:
No. What MSN did was take a VERIFIABLE set of data, and then draw a SUBJECTIVE conclusion from it.

That is completely different from the Wikipedia post which merely posted GDP figures on a list. No subjectivity involved in ranking people by height, for example, when one can actually get out a tape measure and measure the people in a sample.

If, however, I took a sample like, "Percent blonde women in a city" and then did like MSN did, and said, "X city is the sexiest, based on the criteria of % blonde women," and "Y city is the least sexy, based on % brunettes," THEN you would actually have room to critique.

If you are STILL trying to make an issue about my using Wikipedia as a shortcut, then please see the sources on the bottom of the Wikipedia page -- they are there for "it doesn't jive with what I thought" skeptics such as yourself.

BTW, I am not wrong for demeaning the thoughts of those who "live the life." I AM, however, demeaning subjective and non-sourced sweeping conclusions based on "feelings" meant to stand in as a substitute for analysis based on something a bit more than "feelings."
Using your line of logic (a non-subjective approach to the interpretation of the data), Florida is the 9th most dangerous state to live in the country. It is more dangerous to live in Florida than Michigan, New York, Alabama. Texas, Mississippi, and/or New Jersey.

http://os.cqpress.com/Crime%20State%...0Dangerous.pdf

If I would opt to move to West Palm Beach, I, or a member of my family, would be twice as likely to be murdered, robbed, raped, being a victim of a violent crime, and/or being victimized by theft or robbery of my personal belongings. Just the facts.....
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

If one looked at just the facts and disregarded the personal component, Florida appears to be one of the national hubs of crime---- a very dangerous place to be. I bet there are stats that someone manufactured that will show that Florida is more dangerous than the drug cartel areas of Mexico. Are you still saying that the stats don't lie, and personal insights have little value?

Last edited by Yac; 06-09-2009 at 07:31 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 03:48 PM

191 posts, read 665,947 times
well if you can't rely on data and stats for your information and to provide some type of educated opinion of a city or state or region than how do you formulate an opinion. Its not possible to live everywhere before you move there. Its not possible to interview every person who lives there and formulate an opinion. I for one in choosing where to live must rely on all these factors. So on some level I must trust the data and stats. I try to read many sources of data and they dont always have the same findings but I do feel that collected data is a valuable piece of the overall picture. You have any better suggestions on how to choose a place to live?

Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 PM

31 posts, read 33,348 times
No, it just depends on where in FL you are.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:33 AM

13 posts, read 35,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Native Floridians and Transplants, do you consider Florida a good or great place for a vacation or to visit, yet a bad place to live year-round?
I have lived in Florida my whole life. I would say Florida is a wonderful place to visit and............ Live year round. Now is a Great time to come live year round (Buy) in Florida. If you are visiting.... there is SO much to see and do.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:37 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
I would find it hard to believe that Florida would produce more beef then say, Texas, Nebraska, Montana, or really any plains state...

What does Florida produce with Cattle ? Milk ? Fertilizer ? I would assume that 90% of Floridas cattle are north of Orlando.

I laughed when I saw the deer on that page, Florida Deer make Tennessee's deer look like steroid filled giants..
I find it amusing that people like you TNRyan who have left Florida for whatever other "paradise" you now live in continue to invest time on this forum bashing Florida ..... I guess it must be pretty damn boring in whatever nirvana you now live in ... huh ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida